powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help decorating this wall above my TV.
DMC
February 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This wall has been a problem for me to decide on wall decor. There is 52" from the top of the TV to the ceiling and approximate 30" on each side of the TV.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aurorawallis
Have you considered placing the TV above the fireplace instead?
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 8:08AM
DMC
The ceiling above the fireplace mantle angles down from the highest point. The proportion will not work already tried. That is my second decor delimma!
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 8:15AM
fuzinav
To anchor the Tv, try to flank the TV screen with a pair of taller bookcases, or storage units. If this option is too pricey, try to add height to the sides with the use of tall plants, sticks or grasses to one side and an arrangement of art to the other side.
2 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 8:21AM
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
You could put up shelving above the TV in the same wood tones as the cabinet under the TV. Sorry the picture I am sending is in white but it is quite nice in a rich tone too.
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 9:23AM
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
Perhaps one or two longer shelves, offset from one another.
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 9:23AM
claudiann
I don't think your cabinet below the tv is tall enough. That makes your tv look as if it is floating. I would like to see pictures of the whole room. It seems as if the tv, couch, love seat, and fireplace are all at different angles. Maybe if you had more contrasting color in the room it would help the decor also. More pics would help.
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 9:41AM
DMC
I am having custom drapes (blue)made with valance(brown with blue) so the burgundy will be replaced. The canvas is blank because I removed everything off the walls and mantle. I do agree the console is to short and am looking to replace down the road.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 10:59AM
decoenthusiaste
The cabinet jammed in the corner between the light switch and the alcove/entry/recess would look much better on that wall by the sofa where the large picture is because it will help balance the visual weight of the FP on the opposite side. Put the loveseat in the window and the lamp and table at the other end of it. I would hang drapes loose, floor to ceiling with no tie-backs and maybe only two panels, not four. With the love in the window. angle the 3-seater in front of the FP perpendicular to the half wall by the door. Put the two lounge chairs and the shorter table and its lamp between them where the loveseat is right now. This should feel a lot better and then we can work on the walls.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 11:18AM
DMC
All sounds good and believe me we have had this furniture all over this room. The 3 seater can not go the way you described not enough room for entry to area from breakfast/kitchen. Thanks for the tips though.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 11:55AM
DMC
One more picture to show t he area from different angle.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 12:03PM
decoenthusiaste
You didn't show us this angle before - it is all one room, so you do have to show all of it to get the best advice. My explanation should have said to put the 3-seater on a 45 degree angle, aligned to form a sort of "V" with the half wall. Which gets used the most, the loungers or the love? Might eliminate one of the loungers or the love, depending on who has a favorite spot to sit. Would the love or a lounger work in a bedroom? I would definitely get rid of the magazine rack table/lamp to gain a bit more floor space.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 2:39PM
DMC
I realize the furniture arrangement may not be ideal placement but it works. This is our only family room and it needs to accommodate a family of 7 so really can not eliminate seating. I really appreciate your advise and input on furniture placement but my reason for posting was to try and get fresh ideas on home decor for the TV wall.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 3:05PM
claudiann
Family of seven and two dogs....pictures of all on the wall! Black and white in black frames. Big head shots.
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 3:35PM
cjohnston
Hi DMC, I actually don't mind the lack of decor on the TV wall. However, a floating shelf or two is a good option. When you add a few accessories, try to have at least one or two items that are bigger in scale - so it doesn't look too cluttered. Also, ceiling medallions add an interest and texture. They come in many sizes and can be painted to match your decor.
Naomi's House Eclectic Eclectic Living Room with Pops of Color
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 4:03PM
DMC
Thank you and thanks for the pics.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 4:16PM
PRO
Christine Bhe, Bhe Design LLC
Here's another image with a nice balanced arrangement. This is not as easy as it looks to achieve. One way is to lay things out on the floor with a cardboard cutout for the TV and experiment and edit until you like it. There needs to be a common thread throughout a wall arrangement for it to look cohesive and not cluttered. In this example it is the black and white elements. A medium sized landscape piece of art over the mantel that is related would help too. I also think the large artwork next to the window is hung too high. The focal point should be at eye level. Good luck!
3 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 4:34PM
PRO
Christine Bhe, Bhe Design LLC
Have you thought about investing in larger media cabinet that can accommodate the TV, components and speakers? It would fill the wall and provide a clean, uncluttered look. Here is a product idea... http://www.ethanallen.com/product?productId=7676488&categoryId=8022 It can be purchased with bookshelves for the day when TVs change again so you can re-purpose it as a library cabinet.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 4:49PM
DMC
Thank you for the tips and the link to the media cabinet. I like the wall arrangement something to think about. Thank you again.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 7:16PM