Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help updating small master bathroom
Lisa Resseguie
February 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Want to update the vanity. Color ideas? This is a small bathroom (8' 7" x 5' 8"). What do you think of adding cabinetry on either side of the sink similar to the last picture I attached? Mirror ideas? Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
Two ideas come to mind. A smaller mirror and new countertop that is all in one piece rather than the drop in sink. The side cabinets on top in your picture would be a nice addition too.
Do you have a shower curtain? I would decide on wall color when I knew what colors were in my shower curtain
February 3, 2013 at 9:20AM   
Lisa Resseguie
We actually have shower doors. My husband insists on NO shower curtain. The shower doors need to be updated as well. See pic below. I was actually asking about color ideas for the vanity. Go darker or lighter? We need to re-tile the shower as well. Open to all comments and suggestions!!
February 3, 2013 at 11:22AM   
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
It looks as if there is no other wood in your bathroom so you could paint it or replace it with a different stain color. I wonder what wood tones you have in your master bedroom and what your accent color is in your master bedroom. I would tie your color scheme with your master bedroom since you have no shower curtain it leaves you open. Do you or your husband have colors you love or hate? Sorry to ask so many questions but it would help me to help you.
February 3, 2013 at 11:29AM   
Lisa Resseguie
Here are pics of our bedroom furniture (they actually match - pics just don't show it very well), as well as a pic of our living room built-in. So do you think I should match the bathroom vanity to these pieces? I obviously love this finish!
February 3, 2013 at 11:48AM   
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
That helps. I would leave your cabinets but would put knobs on them. I would use a very dark and rich chocolate counter top and would paint the bathroom walls the color of your drapery panels in the bedroom. Then bring in chocolate and cream towels with chocolate rugs. I think more color in your countertop and accessories will give you the richness that you already have in the wood. A warmer color on your walls will be warm and soothing.
February 3, 2013 at 11:56AM   
Keitha
Lisa, I just gave a small bathroom a similar facelift. I didn't want to spend a lot of money but the few changes made a big difference and you can do the same. I tiled the small back wall,replaced the dated cultured marble countertop with granite (my little splurge! But what a difference!!) already had the faucet but bought new mirror and light fixture. I suggest that you paint the vanity and LOVE your idea of adding cabinetry if its within your budget... Thinking a nice mid-tone neutral. Replace the countertop with a natural stone if possible and once all that is done your shower doors are gonna be the dinosaur in the room so I think they will definitely have to go! Good Luck.
February 3, 2013 at 12:19PM   
Lisa Resseguie
Your bathroom is beautiful! I love it....thanks for your help!
February 3, 2013 at 12:38PM   
Lisa Resseguie
Did you continue the tile on the wall behind the toilet?
February 3, 2013 at 12:39PM   
PRO
Galleria Place
Try a over the toilet cabinet to conserve space.
see these bargain value ideas: http://www.bargainbacker.com/BATHROOM-CABINETS_c_4766.html
February 3, 2013 at 12:41PM   
Keitha
This was a little vanity niche with walls on each side but I think it would look nice to continue down the wall
February 3, 2013 at 1:31PM