Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help brightening up and accessorizing mantle and TV wall~
Marion Collins_Williams
February 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just put in a Rumford (sp) fireplace and stone wall. Love our custom made mantle. There is a 4'x6' window glass to the left and a glass door on the right going out to the covered patio and pool.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
tennisanyone
I would hire an electrician and install two highhats (recessed) lights above the fireplace and remove the lamps and statues and get one nice piece of artwork. I would also center the console table with the TV. and remove all the small stuff on the console for now. A picture of the rest of the room would help.
February 3, 2013 at 8:37AM     
Marion Collins_Williams
Thank you! I failed to remove the left-overs from Christmas! Grateful for your advice, will take more pics! The new wood floors add to the already dark and heavy feeling not to mention leather furniture ..lots of opportunities for change ;)
February 3, 2013 at 8:45AM   
radee
Beautiful. I agree with tennisanyone...the lights and a piece of artwork above the fireplace. In addition I would remove the heavy drapes next to the fireplace. I am assuming you want them to prevent light causing a glare on the TV but there are blinds that could be added to the doors to give it a clean look.
February 3, 2013 at 8:51AM     
Marion Collins_Williams
Just added the rug to soften the floors for our 4 yr.old grand-daughter ( thus the cabinet under the TV for hiding her toys !). Yes, I need to change out curtains, had them for the pretty glow during the holidays! Glare is no problem we have southern light in back of house and northern light in front!
February 3, 2013 at 8:58AM   
Marion Collins_Williams
There are built in blinds in our door, nice for privacy when home alone :) The other "window" is just glass, I call it my "vision window" not so much during the winter when the pool is covered!
February 3, 2013 at 9:03AM   
Marion Collins_Williams
The entire wall opposite the tv is a huge challenge for me, period!
February 3, 2013 at 9:05AM   
decoenthusiaste
I don't think we've actually seen a pic of that entire problem wall yet. except for the FP and TV there is no height to the room. Consider a tall piece of casegoods - maybe a bookcase and floor lamp so the chair and hassock become a good reading corner.
February 3, 2013 at 9:12AM     
Marion Collins_Williams
Painting over love seat isn't staying...my wall of "opportunity" grrr very hard to place furniture and all of the wall space seems to be screaming "USE ME 4 SOMETHING!" :-) Note: grand-baby is getting plenty use out of it just the way it is...after the curtains came down and things were moved, she discovered we had the wonderful echooooooooooo....LOL
February 3, 2013 at 9:15AM   
Marion Collins_Williams
Thank u 4 all comments!!! Sorry for the glare in pics!
February 3, 2013 at 9:20AM   
Marion Collins_Williams
Hopefully u can see the height of our ceiling.
February 3, 2013 at 9:25AM   
Marion Collins_Williams
@tennisanyone: I have struggles over type and size of art bc of not wanting to cover too much of the stone. I definitely don't want it to become a dark hole during the Spring & Summer! I am a Georgia homeowner with a passion for Sedona living!!! :-)
February 3, 2013 at 9:29AM   
maureenroth
I'd like to see a deeper color on the walls and a softer color on the ceiling. I find the white ceiling very stark with your gorgeous but casual fireplace. Also I feel that the drapery fabric is much too formal with the fp and furniture. Also the rug is a bit fussy for this room. What about a wool sisal?
February 3, 2013 at 9:30AM     
Marion Collins_Williams
The only other wall in room.
February 3, 2013 at 9:33AM   
Marion Collins_Williams
@maureenroth: Thank u, we just scraped off the popcorn from all of our ceilings :) The rug can be moved to another room no problem! We have the same blue in our dining room, perhaps I should trade rugs!
February 3, 2013 at 9:38AM   
Marion Collins_Williams
I know, junk.../crafting/storage & I am on a cleaning spree now..had no idea I would find this site and b takin pics, talk about motivation to de-clutter!
February 3, 2013 at 9:40AM     
Marion Collins_Williams
Change rug to living room I am guessing...
February 3, 2013 at 9:42AM     
Marion Collins_Williams
One can dream...I love everything in and about this rug and the colors!
February 3, 2013 at 9:51AM     
maureenroth
Also lower the chandelier in your dining room.
February 3, 2013 at 10:20AM     
PRO
Should You Sell Or Should You Stay
Marion, some images for inspiration.

I am beginning to see the picture; thanks for all the images. Here is what I am thinking.

The drapes are to billowy and feminine to be beside such a strong natural element. Try it without for now, but if you must have drapes choose one that hang straight and no silk or satin. Leave the rods up until you are sure. I love that picture window and would leave it to the last to think about.

Lamps on fireplace must go.
I would switch out the rugs - or even better ditch the blue one and go sedona-ish for the living room - the beige on looks nice in your dining room ; move the sofa to the right; move the round side table to the right side of the sofa; pull the love seat forward on to the rug. Move the chair to where the round table was but not so much in the corner. Move the console to the wall behind the love seat and place a large picture or a mirror on the wall above (somewhat narrower than the console) it to bring some tall into the room. You could also add 2 tall table lamp on either side of picture/mirror If the chair does not work in the opposite corner place it where you had it and make it your reading spot. The side tables can go to the other ends of the sofa and love seat. I would consider painting those black like you have going on in the dining room (I agree with previous poster that light fixture hangs too high)

I liked the idea of the pot lights, but I suspect that the first tier of the stepped ceiling has HAVC pipes in it - you could install them in the second tier, but then I would take it around the room evenly; be sure to install dimmer as well.
Also consider to paint the rectangle part of the ceiling; it will accentuate the coffering beautifully.

Place a shallower unit (but not narrower) under the TV too make sure no-one will bump the TV and also for aestetics; probably something black.

A large framed canvas should adore your mantle together with some black wrought iron candle sticks with cream coloured chunky candles. You probably will not want to do this, but I would lower the mantle to halfway between it's current location and the top of the firebox. I am guessing the ceiling is only about 8 ft their; anyway it bugged me visually instantly.

I have included some group of seven sample (from my neck of the woods:)
Even though I am aware that you do not want to cover up this beautiful stone work, I think you may agree after looking at the images I sent that the bigger paintings on the mantles outperform the little ones.
I have been in Georgia homes and have seen Sedona art on the internet; I am sure that there is some suitable art out there.

Good luck, Rinske
February 3, 2013 at 10:24AM     
PRO
more
February 3, 2013 at 10:26AM   
PRO
more
February 3, 2013 at 10:26AM     
PRO
and more
February 3, 2013 at 10:27AM     
Keitha
Your room does feel a little disjointed. The loveseat and club chair look too far away from the sofa. Is there room to make an "L shaped" conversation area by shifting the loveseat over to the sofa area. Then you could make a tall bookcase wall where the loveseat was... Leaving the club chair where it is and installing a floor lamp beside it as suggested earlier. Also like the idea of swapping rug with the one in the dining room. Look at Ballard designs for bookcases.
February 3, 2013 at 10:50AM     
Keitha
Here are some nice bookcase options ... They will hold plenty of pictures of the grandchildren!
February 3, 2013 at 10:55AM     
Marion Collins_Williams
@Keitha: I have tried moving love seat to make an L but, the foyer seems to b in the way. I love the idea of the bookshelves on the back wall! I think the furniture is so big & too many matching pieces! I need more seating and less Matchy-matchy!!!
February 3, 2013 at 11:08AM   
Marion Collins_Williams
@ Should I go or should I stay: Thank you so much for sending the pictures, a lot of inspiration there & I appreciate them very much!!!!!
February 3, 2013 at 11:10AM   
Keitha
Marion, if the L shape won't work can you push the club chair over closer to the fireplace angling it to incorporate it in the sofa "seating area". You could use the ottoman as a coffee table with a big tray and accessories on top. Then just center the love seat on its existing wall with a big piece of artwork over it. Just suggestions?
February 3, 2013 at 11:44AM     
PRO
I would pull the love seat in to the living room like I suggested earlier - especially now that I know that the other room is a foyer. It will make that cosy L
February 3, 2013 at 11:47AM     
Marion Collins_Williams
Problem, the round table in that corner goes right into our kitchen. Putting a chair there, would be in the path of our tracking back and forth to the outdoors! As for the mantle, it has to stay put, stone went in around it. If it were lower, it would get really HOT!
February 3, 2013 at 12:11PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
One set of curtains down, one to go! ;-)
February 3, 2013 at 12:16PM     
Marion Collins_Williams
@should I stay or should I go: moving round table to the right of sofa? Or across the foyer hall to that right corner where there is an end table next to love seat? Bc there is no room if I move the sofa over to the right :(
February 3, 2013 at 12:21PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
Right of sofa
February 3, 2013 at 12:22PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
Good grief..., I AM getting a lot o dusting done :))
February 3, 2013 at 12:24PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
Standing in kitchen hall.
February 3, 2013 at 12:25PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
Hurray!!! Down with the curtains and bare mantle! :-)
February 3, 2013 at 12:31PM   
tennisanyone
Have you ever tried facing the sofa towards the tv and the love seat with its back towards the tv? Does every seat need to face the tv? I would suggest trying that and moving the rug down too.
February 3, 2013 at 12:37PM   
maureenroth
I know you can't block the outside door but your furniture is hugging the walls too much. It needs to come away from the walls to make a conversation/gathering area nearer the fireplace. You're right, the scale is quite massive for the room. Rather than replace it all at once, maybe just lose the chair and ottoman and put the sofa facing the fireplace (not against the wall but 'floating' in the room. Try the loveseat on the same wall it's on now, but pushed toward the window, into the room and perpendicular to the sofa.
February 3, 2013 at 12:46PM     
maureenroth
And dust the baseboards while you're there too. And you thought you were just going to fix your mantle wall ;-)
February 3, 2013 at 1:01PM     
Marion Collins_Williams
Moving tables and found another little antique table..couldn't make the love seat come into the space, does it matter if u could see the side of it from the foyer? I even tried moving the big chair to the left of the tv but it then my huge window....??? Seems like I am going into overload and need to stop. Taking the painting down along with the drapes feels better.
February 3, 2013 at 2:22PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
Round table moved to corner for now :( and a blank wall that needs cabinets and art! I want to pull in the cozy feel but seems odd w the love seat...
February 3, 2013 at 2:26PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
Going to stop b4 I make a bigger mess! Is this where the LS is supposed to be or closer in?
February 3, 2013 at 2:51PM   
PRO
Is the round table a drop leaf if so can you drop one leaf and turn the semi circle side towards the sofa and love seat I think the ls needs to come in some more and try the chair also as per previous poster. It is ok if you can see some of the furniture from the foyer.
February 3, 2013 at 3:09PM     
PRO
The reason I suggest you use a round table between sofa and ls id that you can pull the ls a little closer because the round table has no drawer. Keep playing with the furniture; there is always a best way :)
February 3, 2013 at 3:13PM     
tennisanyone
Here is the problem as I see it. I would reorient the room. TV/console on the opposite wall. Leave the chair where it is right now in the corner by the window and move the couch facing the tv but not blocking the door entrance. Loveseat facing the fireplace. Remove all the mismatched tables/lamps but keep the coffee table for now.The end table that sits next to the chairs should be low and not so big.
February 3, 2013 at 3:23PM     
bbishop005
Or, move the love seat and chai r out and replace with two smaller chairs that you could move into room to left of sofa.
February 3, 2013 at 3:31PM     
Marion Collins_Williams
@tennisanyone: do I need matching lamps? We have had the coffee table (which is also a glass top display) end tables and the blue, solid round table for 19 yrs. old, it's Lexington, Mary Emerling's American Country-west collection. I have always thought they were tall but that's the way they are. Hubby said we could move the TV to opposite wall. We have surround sound installed, but he said it's not impossible :-)
February 3, 2013 at 6:00PM   
tennisanyone
That a good husband willing to move the tv. Move your couches first like I suggested above. Then move the console, it is probably easier then the moving the tv at this point. See if you like the flow. I think the problem is you were trying to orient the whole room around the small wall with the tv./door I would just try the furniture first. I don't think you need all those end tables. It is confusing to look at all the different styles and the lamps also. I tell everyone, it doesn't cost you a thing just to move the furniture until the flow feels right. I still like the chair in the corner and would enjoy reading a book by the beautiful window. We can work int he tables later.
February 3, 2013 at 6:09PM     
Marion Collins_Williams
@should I stay or should I go: the antique table is a double drop leaf (not sure what it's called) the other round table that's blue is just solid round with a triangle bottom, same distressed blue as our dinning rm dresser/hutch and chairs. I have yet another round, metal table that goes more with that big, hammered metal lamp that is currently sitting on the blue table (not loving much of the lamps together right now) :-(
February 3, 2013 at 6:11PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
Lol @ Should I go or should I stay
February 3, 2013 at 6:12PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
The old table is oval not round ;)
February 3, 2013 at 6:13PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
Tables...
February 3, 2013 at 6:19PM   
PRO
Galleria Place
Go to to http://www.bargainbacker.com/Wall-Decor_c_13.html for wall decor. WE have 876 wall pieces currently.
February 3, 2013 at 6:22PM     
Marion Collins_Williams
I am standing behind the LS. See that opening going into the kitchen on the right then on the left is the door going to the patio :-) I "could" just start with a TV, the black cabinet and chunk the rest! ..LOL
February 3, 2013 at 6:24PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
Wished I could do this!!! :-)
February 3, 2013 at 6:42PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
Hubby said no problem if we needed lights above the fireplace...
February 3, 2013 at 8:40PM     
tietz05
I agree with tennisanyone. The tv should go on the opposite wall with the couch facing it but floating away from the wall so that there is enough room to have access to the door. There seems to be quite a bit of furniture in the room. Do you need the LS? Your fireplace is beautiful and should be the focal point.
February 3, 2013 at 8:57PM     
Marion Collins_Williams
@tietz05: Thank you so much...my husband tore out that entire wall so he could have HIS/our fireplace and NOT an insert! It is VERY big! I don't "need" the LS, but feel like I need more seating...and hubby wouldn't mind having his "own" chair/recliner either..maybe we could get rid of the LS and replace with 2 reclining chairs? I don't know, everyone seems to gravitate to that "window" which is what I wanted! Maybe if we decide to move the TV to the opposite wall,..as someone else mentioned, then add book cases to surround the TV, or something like that...I'm getting there, and it's a challenge, but so thankful for the "input" bc goodness knows, my dear hubby does NOT want any part of placement of furniture..however.....***** He does favor the cozy "L" shape most of all :)
February 3, 2013 at 9:36PM   
PRO
Figure the furniture out first; the TV will follow. And it is perfectly ok to not have matching lamps. Matching is boring. Having said that I do think the tiffany is out of place. The focus is the Fireplace - place the furniture around it - we have it and it is fantastic when there is room for everyone. I will send you a picture later.
re should I go or should I stay - I am a Real Estate Broker who stages her listings and sometimes people stay instead of selling their home. Last one said:"You mean I could have lived this way for the last 4 years?" :)
February 4, 2013 at 5:33AM     
Marion Collins_Williams
Floating furniture = Where in the world am I supposed to put any end tables and lamps? Cords plug in the wall and I don't want them Laying across the floor for someone to trip on:(
I moved the sofa facing the big wall I think that is a great call, and placed LS where the sofa used to be, and "floated" plenty of room for the flow of kitchen and the back door but no room 4 end tables/lamps :-(
February 4, 2013 at 10:57AM   
tennisanyone
Glad you like the sofa in that direction. Link a picture when you are done. I think you had too many tables in the room anyway. We can narrow them down. When you get the electrician in for the fireplace, you can get outlets installed in the floor if you LOVE the new layout and plan to keep it.
February 4, 2013 at 11:02AM   
Marion Collins_Williams
@tennisanyone: Dislike that I cannot put lamps near my seating because of cords... carpet, out too, dusted some more, now looking at a blank wall...LOL...ugly...
February 4, 2013 at 11:15AM   
Marion Collins_Williams
The only thing I am enjoying is my beautiful granddaughter...
February 4, 2013 at 11:22AM   
Linda Bibbo
When we put hardwood floors throughout our first floor, we had a lot of issues with the rug in the family room. What we decided to do was order a cut of a beautiful piece of ivory shag-like carpeting with hints of browns, golds and reds in it. We were able to have it cut to size and have the edges bound so that it fit the room perfectly. That might be an option for you, as there are so many beautiful carpet choices out there now. And you may find a pattern or color that would brighten up the room with out being overly fussy?
February 4, 2013 at 11:24AM   
Marion Collins_Williams
Sweet girl to put up with a fussy Gi-Gi! :-)
February 4, 2013 at 11:25AM     
Marion Collins_Williams
@Linda Bibbo: too late now, if I new then that I would need to be adding hundred's more for rugs, & the ones that I like are into $$$..?? I'd love to see yours though!
February 4, 2013 at 11:28AM   
Marion Collins_Williams
Trying to now visualize the TV above the console... Still finding it impossible for any coffee or end tables, let alone lamps, And goodness knows I need light in here!
February 4, 2013 at 11:42AM     
tennisanyone
Wow, what a difference. I like it. Don't you feel it is cozy now? I would take away the end table with the lamp and put a plant instead and then try the end table to the right of the chair with the lamp behind the chair. You might want to add a sofa table at some point behind the couch and maybe a round coffee table but right now use what you have.
February 4, 2013 at 11:51AM     
Marion Collins_Williams
Terry Redlin "Lazy Afternoon" signed and numbered (hubby's pic) all of my others were too large to fit at all, and at least this one has my colors, might b too big as well, At this point I pretty much have no clue...
February 4, 2013 at 11:52AM   
tennisanyone
Love the picture over the fireplace. Maybe add two candlesticks. Odd numbers are best.
February 4, 2013 at 11:53AM     
tennisanyone
In one of the pictures, I see that you have a square end table, the one with the telephone on it. try it in between the couch and loveseat in that empty space.You said your husband would hire an electrician, then I would put in recessed lighting and then maybe two sconces where the console table was before the update and try to make that area a buffet/bar/entertaining area for the room. You have come a long way, since yesterday.
February 4, 2013 at 11:58AM     
Marion Collins_Williams
@tennisanyone: confused about which end table and exactly where? Place a big plant where the blue round table currently is sitting? Put end table near the window or console? And The sofa table would be back up against the sofa I am assuming, again I have no where to plug any lighting. I do have a table that would work it is currently in my foyer, I will take a photo. 17" x 48"
February 4, 2013 at 12:18PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
If I push the love seat back to the wall that would give me at least one spot for a table with lighting.
February 4, 2013 at 12:20PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
Plus, it creates a nice path. And Thank you for the compliment, and the tips.
February 4, 2013 at 12:22PM   
kitchener64
Tall plant in corner with mini lights?
February 4, 2013 at 12:25PM     
tennisanyone
OK if that arrangement works with the LS against the wall then leave it and put a table next to it on the side near the couch and use the idential table on the left so it lights up both spaces. I would try your dining room rug in this room. I like the brown and blue combo together. Bring a small end table to the left of the chair. I said right before, but I was looking at the pictures. I love your floors and now I think the room flows better. Hope your husband likes it when he gets home.
February 4, 2013 at 12:31PM     
Marion Collins_Williams
I have two nice candlesticks that will go on the mantle but not sure about putting a candle them that would be too tall (these r battery candles) do I put them on either side of the picture or do I put the candlesticks together on one side of the picture?
February 4, 2013 at 12:32PM   
tennisanyone
Way too tall
February 4, 2013 at 12:35PM     
Marion Collins_Williams
That is the smallest in table I have, it is old, ugly, Has drawers on the other side of it that I am covering with a small piece of hide. Take that back, this is the other and final smallest table & it oopens and closes as well, Did I mention I am so not afraid to paint furniture in fact I love doing that!!!
February 4, 2013 at 12:50PM   
tennisanyone
Go back up a few lines and you will see the end table that had the phone and plant on it. Bring that back and put that next to the LS towards the couch side. I don't think I would cover that table with the cloth just yet. You get the idea about the cozy reading corner. You can always shop for new stuff once the layout is right. Try the plant on the mantle so it trails down.
February 4, 2013 at 1:11PM     
Marion Collins_Williams
The last of the collection, a writing desk which came along with the "Texas latter back, lone star chair" and Yes, that is another round table you see in this bedroom (metal)
February 4, 2013 at 1:11PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
Chair to table behind sofa.
February 4, 2013 at 1:15PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
I brought in the desk to place behind the sofa on the wall but I also am showing you the foyer table that could work as well. Guess I could put my old dropleaf table in the foyer in place of the one that is there if I need to..as of right now I'm furniture poor ha ha, And one pinched, very sore finger from moving this stuff by myself :p I'm kind of hard headed that way :-)
February 4, 2013 at 1:18PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
Okay now I will have to go and buy a new pot for my plant and that's okay too! Lol!!!
February 4, 2013 at 1:24PM   
tennisanyone
I would not put anything behind the sofa now. Just use that table where the tv was. You said you have a pool so maybe this can be a station where you will serve food for a indoor party. Maybe try the picture over that piece once you take down the tv. Does it give you enough walking room to get in and out of the door?
February 4, 2013 at 1:25PM     
4resas
Putting lights inside the fireplace (when you don't have a fire in it) will help brighten up that part of your room
February 4, 2013 at 1:25PM     
tennisanyone
Lots of plant options too. you can put it on the table where the tv is too. How is the arrangement working? To me, it brings the focus on the beautiful fireplace and TV now. Is there a statue below the plant on the hearth?
February 4, 2013 at 1:27PM     
Marion Collins_Williams
Is this what you meant? And this is where that reading light goes?
February 4, 2013 at 1:32PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
So long to the dusty old antique oval table with two drop leaves... Probably going back into my breakfast area~
February 4, 2013 at 1:37PM     
Marion Collins_Williams
Until the TV gets moved, looks a bit odd, plus as u see, I have a good bit of space next to the LS.
February 4, 2013 at 1:39PM   
14thstreet
I picture a good size mirror above the fireplace to brighten it up. I love the blue in your rug, I think you could pop more blue in the room to add contrast with pillows or a throw perhaps. I would stick to cream/linen colored simple straight drapes, though.

I do agree that you might consider different paint on your ceiling...all that tray detail in all white really takes over the room.
February 4, 2013 at 1:44PM     
Marion Collins_Williams
I have 3 feet of clearance in between that desk in the back of my sofa, 5' To the left of table on the wall where the love-seat is now positioned. Yes, hubby's sculpture sitting on a block of wood that the mantle was made from before he polished it and fixed it all up :) Also,
plenty of swing room for the back door.
February 4, 2013 at 1:58PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
@14thstreet: I like your name, there is a bar in Bandera Texas I believe called 14th St. :-) I am out of breath I just took the blue rug out and the next one is coming in thank you so much for your comments, I am overwhelmed with gratitude!! This has been 19 years trying to pull this together;)
February 4, 2013 at 2:07PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
There is eggplant sometimes it looks chocolate, sometimes purple, depends on what time of the day it is, also a very soft soft blue in this rug. I'm going to lay it out now and see what happens!
February 4, 2013 at 2:12PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
This mirror is beveled and goes with the table in the foyer, same color.
February 4, 2013 at 2:16PM   
tennisanyone
Try that nice stautue on the desk. I thought you had two matching end tables. Yes, bring a rug back in. End table by the chair still too big and tall. Try it on the other end of the LS. Soon you will be able to fill in with accessories, pillows, throws, candles,etc. Wait until your husband sees the changes and then realizes HE has to move the Tv. l9 years you say. Sometimes it just takes someone else seeing it with fresh eyes. We all get stuck sometimes in our own homes. I have a meeting tonight so I will check in later tonight when you put the rug back down.
February 4, 2013 at 2:19PM     
tennisanyone
I don't love the mirror over the fireplace. I see the fan. Hate that. Maybe try it over the desk or just lean it for now. I think that carpet can work. Love the colors
February 4, 2013 at 2:21PM     
14thstreet
I like the mirror--it really brightens up the fireplace! I definitely think the tray ceiling needs to be painted, at least the same color as your wall, perhaps that pale blue-gray color that's in the rug from the dining room--that would look awesome with the wall color you currently have. I would do a search for tray ceilings on houzz to get painting ideas. Here's one for starters in a similar color scheme.

[houzz=
]

Hauling around a large wool area rug is tough work!! Believe me, I've done it several times too and I'm currently getting ready to do it again as soon as I can sell the one in my bedroom. :) I don't like the color of it against my carpet.

I will have to put Bandera TX on my hit list for a "some day" trip. haha
February 4, 2013 at 2:25PM     
Marion Collins_Williams
Oh my word, I don't love rugs at this moment, it feels squatty or something, but when I turned it the other way it was too narrow for the width of my couch, This is the only way I could turn it without it being halfway under the Ottoman which bothered me, unless I try some crazy diagonal and I don't think that would work in here. I sure hope the sofa does not have to be right in the middle of the console, I think the console just needs to be centered with that wall, what do you think?
February 4, 2013 at 2:45PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
I have no room to put the other in table on the other side of the loveseat unless I move the love seat back towards my kitchen, I will show you, And thank you again to everyone for being so helpful! I am going to take the mirror off because all I am looking at is that white ceiling and the fan but I appreciate your suggestion I think I need it back in my foyer...
February 4, 2013 at 2:48PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
The end table is sticking out in the foyer, the path between sofa and LS is odd. And, hubby said he like just one table by LS Because the path was narrow and it seemed awkward. He was happy to see the desk come back and his statue sitting on it, he was also happy to see his painting sitting up on the mantle as well :)
February 4, 2013 at 3:12PM     
tennisanyone
Go with whatever your husband wants. Did he like it? You can always move the end table that blocks the entrance down a few inches. Try one of those lamps on the desk. You did so much. I had alot of fun too. Just one more thing, remove that odd table and lamp next the the console. The view is beautiful out the window and now you can really see it. when you enter the room. pull the chair and ottoman forward so it sits on the rug just a bit. I'm satisfied, Now you will just need to fill in with decorative stuff, that is the fun part. An update when you move the tv.
February 4, 2013 at 3:20PM     
Marion Collins_Williams
Until the TV gets a new home over console, going to just stick a painting there, and until I get a big plant and figure out where to put my round, blue table, it can stay there too~ time to chill..haha, probably not! 19 years we have been married almost but the entire house has been revamped. The sofa, LS & huge chair was bought after I sold a puppy and hubby was off fishing... So, I have had it awhile, but everything stayed pretty much in the same spot. I did move a LS diagonally in front of my big window once, but that ruins my view. I hate seeing empty wall space like the 5' to the right of my LS. Something will come:-) lighting is needed for sure, & I will get there!
February 4, 2013 at 3:32PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
Still think that entire wall needs shelving/book cases or something...
February 4, 2013 at 3:36PM   
maureenroth
You probably don't want to hear this,but if you switch out the LS with the sofa, turn the coffee table so it's as long as the sofa, like it is now, this arrangement might be better. You're doing great! It looks 100% better now! Besides, tell hubby he'll have to move the tv anyhow while he paints ;-)
February 4, 2013 at 3:40PM     
maureenroth
And, if you keep this arrangement, you can get a large bookshelf unit with room for the tv, on the wall next to the window. That will also help balance out the room.
February 4, 2013 at 3:47PM     
Marion Collins_Williams
@tennisanyone: do u mean move the tall reading lamp and opposite side, the blue, round table? Chuck is really happy, and that makes me excited :-) I just happened to find another lamp 4 console (for now) so I can see the progress :-)) what a neat experience!!!
February 4, 2013 at 4:11PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
@maureenroth: Are u saying put the sofa back on the wall where it was in the beginning? And then swap the LS? The coffee table needs to be long in front of the sofa or in front of the LS? Ok, that means turning the rug again bc it isn't as wide as my sofa, but that's ok I am willing to try anything... Once ;-)
February 4, 2013 at 4:17PM     
PRO
Alfieri Design
Personally, I think you should combine the t.v. and the fireplace as one, and move the larger sofa opposite putting your carpet as a footprint horizontally. The two buffet lamps would be great on the credenza with your religious iconography and a horizontal mirror or work of art, elongating the space.
February 4, 2013 at 4:30PM   
PRO
Alfieri Design
Remove the mantle if you need, or lower it.
February 4, 2013 at 4:31PM   
maureenroth
Yes,Marion, that's what I mean. It's a bit hard to tell without a floorplan,but I think the wall opposite the FP may be a bit longer. Don't be shy about pushing the furniture close together-you can always push it back again. When I have a problem layout, I make a floorplan with graph paper. 1 square= 6inches. Then you outline the size of your room with the openings marked. Then cut out little pieces of paper to represent your furniture. For example, a 5 foot sofa would be 10 squares long by say 5 squares if it's 2 1/2 feet deep. It's much easier to push around little pieces of paper than big sofas!
February 4, 2013 at 5:10PM     
Marion Collins_Williams
@Fab: thanks, but it is a real fireplace not an insert, due to the amount of heat it puts out, the mantle could not possibly b moved. TV is 60" and the scale would not fit. The one who watches it is a wee 4 yr. old ;-) and that isn't real often :) The console was bought for her storage. I am excited to see this unfold!!!!
February 4, 2013 at 5:18PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
@maureenroth: the wall where the TV currently hangs is 10' and the one where the LS sits is 12'8" and I have 1-happy hubby!
February 4, 2013 at 5:25PM     
tennisanyone
Your husband looks like he is enjoying the new space. You can try that picture over the desk area with a lamp too. You can always reverse the couches if they are not working for you. I just wanted you to get things away from the walls and reorient the room.
February 4, 2013 at 5:42PM     
Marion Collins_Williams
15' 2" where the console currently is and the length of the room is 19' 5" :)) Energy is is good here ~ :))
February 4, 2013 at 5:45PM     
Marion Collins_Williams
@tennisanyone: eventually, hubby wants his recliner back, and if that happens, they need to be matching and classy/comfy!
February 4, 2013 at 5:48PM     
Marion Collins_Williams
Solved hubby's lighting issue by moving the floor lamp & using the plug next to mantle :) And could not resist this burlap shade and glass lamp. Eventually, when the TV goes there it will have to move but I loved it! Wondering if I should have bought the pair? Plants coming in next :-)
February 5, 2013 at 11:17AM     
Marion Collins_Williams
Wooden boat or something, works in my house~if I get bored, I can always paint it ;-)
February 5, 2013 at 11:25AM   
Marion Collins_Williams
Crazy for the color!
February 5, 2013 at 11:26AM     
Marion Collins_Williams
Panorama 1st time to try..and realizing it worked too...yeah!!!
February 5, 2013 at 5:40PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
Naked right now but it's old, leather on top and an heirloom++++it makes hubby SO happy to have a place to set his "something" to drink/read...
February 5, 2013 at 6:25PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
I will put a plant or when the drapery goes in, most of that bare space may not look so, well...bare! I am happy we have a plug for lighting!!!!
February 5, 2013 at 6:31PM   
energysaver
I think the fireplace looks way too dark under the mantle. They have very thin (3/16" thick) 2" hockey puck style LED lights that emit a lot of light, but operate at a low temperature. Very nice for accent lighting. (see pics
February 5, 2013 at 6:52PM     
Marion Collins_Williams
I would have NEVER Ever thought of that! One concern, that means paying better attention to what is IN the fireplace AND what's sitting on the hearth!!! Hubby says "no problem." I just want to be sure Inwant the light coming from there and not above the mantle from the ceiling! Thank you so much for sharing~ photo's were fantastic!!!!
February 5, 2013 at 7:38PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
This antique, drop- leaf, ended up back in the breakfast room as did the Tiffany (love all the colors) temporarily to house our I-pod, phone, and catch-all (for now) still switching out lamps, guess that can become a bit obsessive :-) but what fun...THANKS TO EVERYONE who did/IS still hanging in with me!!! Love and gratitude abounds !!!! Xoxoxo
February 5, 2013 at 9:08PM     
Marion Collins_Williams
Switching lamps and added JUST 1 photo...
February 5, 2013 at 9:12PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
@energysaver: our distance from the ground up to bottom of mantle is 60" so, from sitting down u could Definitely see up to the lights even when standing at my height, you can still see the lights unless they were drilled up into the mantle and recessed, that's the only way I could think of making that work .. Haha, At this moment :-))
February 5, 2013 at 9:16PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
This is my view from the big club chair looking onto the mantle.
February 5, 2013 at 9:18PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
Bad light!
February 5, 2013 at 9:19PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
Two different lights, trying to make it work...even with my electric candles (have to b safe ;) )
February 5, 2013 at 9:22PM     
tennisanyone
I like it.
February 6, 2013 at 5:04AM     
tennisanyone
Once you move the tv, that lamp is too tall. Can't wait to see the tv over there and then just swap out the picture to the other side. Maybe try the boat on some books for interest and height. You are funny, it can get a bit obsessive but now you feel like it is working for you and you want it just right. I like your breakfast nook colors.
February 6, 2013 at 5:05AM     
Marion Collins_Williams
I am going to put "the boat" on the console beneath the TV, My glass, pineapple lamp will easily find a new home :) The Mexican painting will go over love seat, or back in the guest room. I will eager to see what inspiration I get from our trip to AZ. next week :)) Will b at the Waldorf /Biltmore Estates, and taking grand-daughter to Sedona~I feel the energy swirling already ;-) woooo wonder if I bring back some sort of cowhide???? I love it all~ thanks for the sweet words re breakfast rm, the pics are from L. Carter Holeman , bought in AZ, every morning they smile at me & THANKS TO ALL WHO REIGNIGHTED MY FIRE :)). Off to shop for a bargain (I mean-back to the house to dust and organize)
February 6, 2013 at 6:12AM     
tennisanyone
Have a good trip Marion.
February 6, 2013 at 6:32AM     
Marion Collins_Williams
@tennisanyone: THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Busy finding treasures from my warehouse ;-) nothing but a little sanding, cleaning, and maybe distressing :)
February 6, 2013 at 1:16PM     
14thstreet
I love that antique mirror!! Wish I could find one around here for my daughter's room....hmmm

Also--I love that new lamp you bought, and next to the club chair it looks great.
February 6, 2013 at 2:31PM     
tennisanyone
Your welcome Marion. It was my pleasure working with you. Where are you going to put those beautiful pieces?
February 6, 2013 at 3:31PM     
Marion Collins_Williams
@tennisanyone: I HAVE NO IDEA! LOL.. The old buffet "could have" worked for the console under TV but I couldn't convince a certain someone ;) It also has the dining table to match that I used as my desk when I owned a car lot...everything was antique and in a Rt 66 theme, looked nothing like a car lot ;) The mirror needs a tiny bit of mending and thinking it "might" go either over the desk/table that is behind my sofa or, perhaps over the LS, not sure~ but if I can get my hands on another piece stored somewhere, it is an antique, claw foot, big-round coffee table :-) belonged to hubby's grandfather. I went to look for it thinking I would have it upholstered and turned into a large table/ottoman, but I may not, depends on FIRST, if I can find it, second, how big is BIG? My mind has certainly opened up, thanks to nice people as yourself, even g-baby loves it :-) It feels so good to be in there now, I am happy for the progress! @14thstreet: About my lamp..grrrr T.J m, they had 2, I only bought 1 (dumb) 10 minutes after I bought the 1, someone bought the other! And the entire store is laughing and talking about me and the "orange lamp" but in a good way! Everyone has been so sweet!!! I am in Ga, where r u from?
February 6, 2013 at 4:02PM   
tennisanyone
I can picture that mirror on the wall with the desk. It is funny how design works. We start with one project and it morphs into another. I am in NJ.
February 6, 2013 at 4:20PM   
PRO
Hi Marion, you have come a long way with the help of many with good ideas. I like the console on the other wall. Have you considered putting the statue on the mantle and then find something equal, but not the same for the other side. Also I liked the plant better by the window. The candle sticks could be placed on the hearth one on either side or side by side or they can flank the picture on top of the console.
The mirror could be placed on the wall opposite the garden door above a skinny table - I believ you have a few - it might help bring some light in.
Also someone else suggested switching out the sofa and love seat - I agree. You would have to turn the rug a quarter turn as well. The longest sofa should run with the longest wall unless you have two sofas/love seats the same length placed tete a tete perpendicular to the fire place.
About the little lights under the mantle, I think you are right, they would only work if you are standing up and that's not how you will be spending your time in that room.
As far as the picture above the mantle goes it needs to be canvas in frame or canvas without frame - no matting - is too busy and competing with the stone work.
Some samples attached.
Hopes this helps, Rinske
February 7, 2013 at 2:36PM     
PRO
more
February 7, 2013 at 2:38PM     
PRO
some more
February 7, 2013 at 2:39PM     
Marion Collins_Williams
Thank you!!!! Yes, a lot of help, and I am very grateful! On the issue about the movement of the sofa, I don't see how I could put it along the wall again (where it was originally) AND float the LS too. I can try, but I think it will throw things out of balance, I will try though ;) I put the two glass candles on top of the mantle bc of having a 4 yr. old running around. I have an old buttermilk churn that is 17" tall that I just brought in to try and put things better into proportion...that is my goal anyway :) I had a lucky day, rain and all, went back to T.J. and new shipment was unloading and just so happened...a round, wooden candle holder, made out of the same as the "boat." It will hold a 4 1/2" x 12" pillar candle, or...hubby's "stuff" that I don't want to see. I will take a photo~I moved the longer Ivy and replaced it with a more round, flowing plant, still thinking it needs to be on the table by the big chair! The ivy went on a smaller table next to the LS. I know when I get the T.V. up, I will be moving lamps around again and that's okay, now...it is fun! The statue is NOW on the mantle,,,yippee, and hubby just walked in and he loves it! The only pillows I am attached to are the round, leather-suede, and a down filled lumber for the reading spot (I have 2, Red/Gold and Black/ with natural colored embroidery) I know, the red won't stay, I only bought it bc of shape and filling ;) Coming back with pics....thank you for taking the time to check on the progress!!!!
February 7, 2013 at 3:53PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
Here is the most recent pics :) And yes, I totally agree about the canvas painting vs matted w/ glass!
February 7, 2013 at 3:56PM     
Marion Collins_Williams
Statue
February 7, 2013 at 3:57PM     
Marion Collins_Williams
Just a "start" in foyer, moving lamps and dusting :))
February 7, 2013 at 3:58PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
My "Love Boat" I will forever call it that when I think of my "friends" here who have been so inspirational !!!!!!
February 7, 2013 at 4:00PM   
tennisanyone
I love that candle holder. Try it on the coffee table. It needs something.
February 7, 2013 at 4:01PM     
Marion Collins_Williams
LB
February 7, 2013 at 4:01PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
For the record::: I had a dear friend gift me drapes for the living room and with left over fabric she made these down filled pillows for my bed rm. Everything was perfect until..I took them down to wash them and they shrunk 5 inches! I could just die! Ignore the wrinkles, I just took them out of the bag, I wanted you to see they were a natural color and they were perfect or so I thought~ Here is an oil painting that I did with my grandmother a long time ago maybe this is a little better..
February 7, 2013 at 4:10PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
Pic
February 7, 2013 at 4:11PM     
Marion Collins_Williams
Correction: "Painting". :-)
February 7, 2013 at 4:13PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
Not a photographer, and yes, I probably need a new frame, this is OLD.. Lol
February 7, 2013 at 4:16PM     
Marion Collins_Williams
Love this lamp :)
February 7, 2013 at 4:16PM     
Marion Collins_Williams
I am afraid to put anything on this particular coffee table bc it has glass on top and "memorabilia" on this inside...thus asking hubby to locate my round one :)
February 7, 2013 at 4:26PM     
Marion Collins_Williams
The first painting you suggested above, the one on the left of the tree? All of the copper and turquoise? I LOVE! I need to print and paint my own from my last trip to Sedona! Better yet, take more next week when we go back and have them put on canvas! I wished I could show you my burlap covered lamp, and the base is glass, and looks like copper running through it. Seeing a lot of burlap these days, I do like it, but I think a little bit goes a long way. I love natural, but I also love soft, ROMANTIC too~
February 7, 2013 at 4:36PM   
toniflash
Because the fireplace rock lends itself to a casual feel, I wonder what a rustic antique mirror just on the mantle and leaning against the rock with a candle in front to reflect light. Then perhaps a vase of some kind with some branches to add texture with the candle reflecting in the mirror.....that could be to one side and then an interesting decorative statue or box of somekind or something to the right. sitting in a puddle of burlap...... If you use the sedona picture.....even some succulents in a cool pottery piece would be a nice accent. They make some pretty good artificial ones if you don't like live plants. The rock is beautiful.
February 7, 2013 at 4:44PM     
nikitasmom
The room is looking so inviting. There is a treasure to be found anywhere one looks while not being too fussy. Bravo to all of you and Marion that is a nice view from the picture window.
February 7, 2013 at 4:45PM     
Marion Collins_Williams
Don't fuss yet :) I haven't tackled sorting and going through all of this, but I will! We have arrowheads, old glasses from my great-grandmother, and all sorts of old or memorable pics and such! I Know that it is a display coffee table and sometimes it just gathers things that maybe shouldn't be there but for now until I find a place to put them that's where they have to stay unless I put them in a Ziploc bag...lol
February 7, 2013 at 4:51PM   
PRO
Galleria Place
Stop by our Home and Garden store. We have just about anything you might need...decor, electronics, TVs, cables, fireplace screens and more. Best of all we have very reasonable prices! http://www.bargainbacker.com/Decor-_c_8.html
February 7, 2013 at 4:54PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
@toniflash and @nikitasmom: Thank you so much...this is way better than a t.v. show, I get to wear a cap and no make-up...plus, plus...woopee...
February 7, 2013 at 4:57PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
Swapping out the rug was perfect, the Apple-tini green walls in my breakfast room look much better with the blue that is going through the dining room now:-)
February 7, 2013 at 5:00PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
I know, candle overflow, and while we have nice lighting, & a dimmer over my tub, there is a lot of stone! Our home-owner project (I actually made my own slate/travertine trim) the only way they would let me use the wet saw..LOL mercy, I have to put the flaps down or I will go into overload of "what about this and what about that!" I catch myself floating in my mind and not staying focused on just one rm, one project! B4, I just wanted to pull the cover over my head! Not now~may fire my shrink ;-)
February 7, 2013 at 5:09PM     
Keitha
Marion, although I only contributed a comment or two I really enjoyed watching the whole process. You got some great advice and you worked so hard!!! What's next?
February 7, 2013 at 5:20PM     
tennisanyone
I just went out for a walk. How did I miss all of this chatter. LOL I didn't realize the coffee table was a display piece. Don't put anything on it. A plant would look all wrong. When you move the tv, you will have to try the different paintings over the desk. Can't wait to see it.
February 7, 2013 at 5:27PM     
PRO
The painting you are sporting on the FP right now just needs to be adjusted; just paint the white in any of the colors in the frame - just not white. It has the right shape and I believe also the scenery that you love - Sedona right? Plus it has family value - a win/win for sure. I will be sending you some ceiling images - just so that you may see how you can treat your ceiling in a way that will ad more funk to your room; the room is just begging for it -use eggplant color if you like; it will tye in with the rug and also works with your wood flor and FP - btw I promised to send you images of my LR, but my laptop got fixed(not) at Xmas by my oldest and is not able to load the images from my camera for the time being - I had fun however today rearranging all the art on the walls of my home :)
February 7, 2013 at 5:29PM   
PRO
more
February 7, 2013 at 5:31PM     
PRO
more
February 7, 2013 at 5:32PM     
PRO
more
February 7, 2013 at 5:33PM     
PRO
Or You Could Do This He He He He He
February 7, 2013 at 5:35PM   
PRO
Dunno why those 2 pictures appeared again - maybe has to do with wine - the wine I am drinking:)
February 7, 2013 at 5:39PM   
Marion Collins_Williams
your wine or mine? hahah....love it!
February 7, 2013 at 5:43PM     
PRO
sorry for any duplication
February 7, 2013 at 5:46PM     
PRO
same
February 7, 2013 at 5:47PM     
PRO
same
February 7, 2013 at 5:48PM     
PRO
same
February 7, 2013 at 5:50PM     
PRO
Hey, I have a granddaughter too, she(7) also occupies storage at my home in a sideboard in my kitchen; she's too smart for her own good - love her with all my heart - we're best friends for ever she says.
February 7, 2013 at 5:54PM     
Keitha
Just a little suggestion, reframe the painting that you did with your grandmother in a wider, chunky frame. This would give it more presence....love it!
February 7, 2013 at 6:25PM     
Marion Collins_Williams
My Nanny will b proud 1 know anyone even paid attention to the painting, thank you so much!!!! She is 96 years old by the way ;)
February 7, 2013 at 8:19PM     
Marion Collins_Williams
I never Considered painting any part of the frame, why do our minds not want to go there?
February 7, 2013 at 8:29PM   
PRO
What Keitha says is right; I meant the same thing - hence suggesting that you paint the white matting the same color as the frame/wood achieving the same result - chunkier frame - more quiet at a fraction of the cost
February 8, 2013 at 6:00AM     
Marion Collins_Williams
Almost 20 yards of this amazing fabric. I have had for years and do not know what to do with it, any suggestions
February 8, 2013 at 6:26AM   
4resas
If it doesn't clash with the leather chair, drapery panels and pillows
February 8, 2013 at 6:49AM   
PRO
Yes very nice fabric, but too warm in color and not a good companion to the color of the leather.
February 8, 2013 at 10:22AM     
Marion Collins_Williams
It will clash with furniture and rug. :( I have enough to cover a sofa practically (or the old chase I have been intending on doing something with. It has such a unique pattern on it, might have someone make a piece to lay at the foot of my bed, like a table runner but a bed runner..LOL I don't know what They are called. Question::: Again :-)) when you have a king size bed with a pretty large room does it matter what size of area rug that you put in the room? I am not crazy about sliding it under the bed and covering up most of the rug, I guess I need another picture for another project, I picked up the rug and really wished it was in my living room but it is way too small.
February 8, 2013 at 10:31AM   
Marion Collins_Williams
I need to find a chocolate with teal and I copper/orange rug I think that's what I need for my bedroom, For that matter all of those colors would work in any room in my house :)
February 8, 2013 at 10:36AM   
Keitha
Marion, like your idea to use the fabrics in bedding, maybe a duvet and pillows?
February 8, 2013 at 10:40AM     
14thstreet
I have a 7'6" x 9'6" (so essentially an 8x10) in my bedroom, with only the end of the bed (mine's a queen) on the rug...I like that for scale in my room and it doesn't cover the entire rug. However, I have the rug for sale since the color isn't working for me so I'm on the hunt for a new one also :). I'm from Iowa by the way.
February 8, 2013 at 10:40AM     
Marion Collins_Williams
I know, NEUTRAL bedding..it was good for about 3 yrs but I am starving for my color Splash :-) Again, we had the ceiling scraped, I know walls and ceiling needs painting, just not there yet. Have not even had the time or taken the time to hang the picture either! Could be I may b changing my mind again...
February 8, 2013 at 10:54AM     
Marion Collins_Williams
I am having a Feng Shui attack here :-) LOL...no rain in GA though!
February 8, 2013 at 10:57AM   
Marion Collins_Williams
Already rolled it up and hauling it back :( and yes, I have to replace lights over bed too! We do fans in Georgia, at least at my house anyway...
February 8, 2013 at 11:04AM   
tennisanyone
Are you doing another room?
February 8, 2013 at 11:47AM     
nikitasmom
That painting is an inspiration and it looks like it may go with the fabric. The furniture does seem to be squeezed in though. The larger nightstand is a tight fit compared to the smaller one.
February 8, 2013 at 12:16PM   
PRO
Love the ceiling in the bedroom and your furniture too; here is where I would go for the colour infusion, Use the orange fabric for bedding - or drapes with some toss cushions.
You have the same disease as I; shopping and not finishing any previous projects ha ha
February 9, 2013 at 8:03AM     
Marion Collins_Williams
@tennisanyone: thought I posted my response earlier~I am on "hold" for my comfy Living Rm. until TV gets moved, hubby said he was just making sure I wasn't going to change my mind ;) and I certainly am not! I am so happy in this room :)) !!!!! He is already wondering where we will place our Christmas tree :) he has never concerned himself b4. He loves my big chair and says "that" will be his spot and though he won't be able to see the TV from this spot, he doesn't mind, and said it just feels good in here...makes my heart happy! As far as doing another room, it is our room, and after complete overhaul was done in our bath, our bed/bedding was also redone. I have and had so much color b4, this time I wanted quiet, calm, and let someone else totally pick my bedding... from Horchow (first I bought from them.) I was so tired, I just said "okay." I intended the color to come from objects, pillows, somewhere, and as I said b4, I froze, except for the teal, huge flower arrangement on my side of the bed, which I did LOVE once, but now thinking I am tired of that already. Since hubby's night stand is smaller/shorter than mine, and he does more reading there, I did't feel the need for a lamp on my side (now I want one but have become lamp-shy now ; )
Once the furniture was brought in, bedding came, then everything stopped in our room We had wood floors put in, fireplace wall knocked out, new roof put, reno on guest bath, AND...huge covered patio done (started, not completed either) can't decide about the outdoor kitchen....sigh... We adopted our now, 4 yr. old grand daughter and my trips to my warehouse to refurb all of my found treasures, well, were put on the back burner for a bit, trying to squeeze 3 hrs. to myself for projects isn't quite enough (but that's fine) For me, going into another person's home and having an "eye" for moving things or decorating is a snap, but for some reason, in our home, I get stumped or stuck. I have painted this house so many times my hubby said we lost 2,000 sq. ft due to paint on the walls...LOL...I am so grateful to even have ONE room that we can gather in and feel this good, I can't stop smiling or, staying out of T.J. Maxx! Our bed room, is further along than G-Baby's, I am on bedding #2 for her and still not satisfied! I would write you private if i new how, not sure if my posts are supposed to be this long~I need to read the rules for houzz I guess~ I need a cabinet maker/carpenter for her room, have lots of ideas from Pinterest. (Found such a person the other day ;) )
Would u believe, I was on Craigs list for Phoenix? Knowing we'd be going there (this was 3 1/2 yrs ago, and drove about 60 miles to purchase bedding for guest room/baby room, from a model home! My husband went with me, he laughed that I would go all the way to AZ and find a yard sale!~ Well, the bedding is stunning, but NOT practical, thus why it was in a MODEL HOME! Now that we have her forever, I want to get her room DONE (I guess I will shift gears and make another 'topic" and leave this one for my living room : ) Both my husband and myself are so surprised that people take the time to read these posts and actually "help" I have had 3 decorators/Interior designers, come and go, take a down pmt. and NONE have done a thing, well, one did, she was a Feng Shui practitioner as well, she moved a few things and that was it. I took a class from her for several week's but like I said, I get in my house and just seem to go all-in, or freeze~Thanks for taking me out of the freezer..LOL..
February 9, 2013 at 8:10AM   
tennisanyone
You certainly have so much going on in your life. Congrats on the adoption of your granddaughter. I am sure her room will be beautiful and comfortable when you are done. You are right, we all get stuck in our own homes. I am happy that your husband is happy in his chair. Can you imagine a husband is happy if he can't see the tv LOL. I am glad the new arrangement made a difference for the both of you. I am real picky on this site when it comes to furniture arrangement. I believe, the room has to flow first and then all the other stuff will be easy and fun do do. We have a ton of snow here so I think I am stuck in for a few days. I am rearranging some artwork today.
February 9, 2013 at 8:57AM     
jakelee8
Hang painting with up lighting and that would bring light into the room
February 9, 2013 at 9:01AM   
Marion Collins_Williams
@jakelee8: Do you mean over the FP?
February 9, 2013 at 9:04AM