Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Change color on shutters
ghel
February 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This is the exterior of our Florida home. We really didn't like the color of the exterior and shutters, but we can't afford to repaint the entire outside of the house and thought we might just change the color of the shutters.
Any thoughts?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pattybee
Chocolate brown would work with green
February 3, 2013 at 8:50AM   
anna_katharina
I think a lemony type yellow would look great and add a nice pop of color!
February 3, 2013 at 8:56AM   
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
Hc-5 Weston Flax by Benjamin Moore. You can check this color out on line at Benjamin Moore.com I think it would be soft with your green exterior and keep it looking Florida cheerful.
February 3, 2013 at 9:03AM   
rinqreation
white or dark chocolate
February 3, 2013 at 9:07AM   
Jayme H.
White, black, darker green.
February 3, 2013 at 9:08AM   
marshadraskovich
I'm going out on a limb here, but because we're talking sunny Florida here, I think you should take a leap of faith and go with coral on the shutters. I think it would be charming.
February 3, 2013 at 9:14AM     
claudiann
Love your tree.
February 3, 2013 at 10:02AM   
ghel
Thanks for all the ideas, I think that yellow might look nice also! I'm going to get a few samples
and paint a piece of cardboard cut to the size of the shutters and stand back and look ...maybe
repost a picture to see what you all think.
February 3, 2013 at 11:44AM   
Sarah Mitchell
Love the coral idea that marshadraskovich suggested!
February 3, 2013 at 11:48AM   
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
The Weston Flax is a soft yellow by Benjamin Moore. I think it will look lovely. Not too harsh.
February 3, 2013 at 11:49AM   
ghel
Yes, I think coral might be good too. Any suggestion on a coral colour i.e. Benjamin Moore?
February 3, 2013 at 11:50AM   
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
This is weston flax
February 3, 2013 at 11:51AM   
ghel
Thanks Engrav's Decorating...I have the fan deck for benjamin moore paints and was able to see (Weston Flax) the color and I agree that it would look good. I want to get a sample of it and also another one of a coral color to see what they would look like before I commit.
February 3, 2013 at 11:54AM   
marshadraskovich
I looked at Ben Moore's color samples online and liked the "raspberry blush and Habanero pepper" colors, but you will have to try them next to your siding. I think with some colorful pots and Flowers you could tie in the landscaping with your new color choice.
February 3, 2013 at 12:07PM     
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
Love the Habanero Pepper colors. I would use them as accents colors like your light pole and pots around your beautiful tree. Pots by your front door? I can't see what you have under the tree at the moment but maybe it could be painted in the Habanero pepper colors.
February 3, 2013 at 12:13PM   
ghel
Thanks marshadraskovich for the coral color of raspberry blush...will try it as a sample along with weston flax to see which I like better.
February 3, 2013 at 12:13PM   
decoenthusiaste
I"ve never really seen faux shutters and Bermuda shutters used together! Am I mistaken or do you have both at the windows? I really think if you do that is overkill. Would remove the faux ones and simply use the Bermudas. Do you know the color and mfg'r. of your house paint? That might be a place to start if you could find their recommendations for accents that work with your green.
February 3, 2013 at 12:18PM     
ghel
I think the bermuda (hurricane) shutters were added after the faux shutters were already there.
The siding was painted a custom color by the previous owners just before we bought last year. I have no idea what the color is but the closest match would be fernwood green 2145-40 Ben Moore.
February 3, 2013 at 12:22PM   
Aja Mazin
Yep!

The faux pink shutters need to go.
February 3, 2013 at 12:25PM   
Linda
I am in Florida as well, and I don' think I have seen both standard and Bermuda shutters ever together either, and agree that the Bermuda ones were added later and also that the others need to go. I think when you do get rid of them, your house will look more sleek and updated. In two weeks I am going to paint the outside of my home in a color close to yours, but more of a light olive green and then have black Bermuda shutters installed that will go with my black wrought iron door which is not quite Floridian, but definitely my style.
February 3, 2013 at 12:29PM   
decoenthusiaste
You might be happier if you paint the house after removal of the vestigial shutters, 'cause I bet the paint doesn't go under them. Leave the Bermudas white.
February 3, 2013 at 12:31PM