powered by
Need help with kitchen cabinets
Lynda Cook
February 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have the original built in cabinets in my kitchen. I love their size and storage so do not want to replace. Looking for ideas to dress up the doors that I can do myself being a single gal with very little woodworking experience. Hoping to give them a mission or craftsman look in black. The problem is some doors are slightly rounded toward the edge.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
I would think about only painting the lower cabinets. Your kitchen might be too dark with all black. Could you just replace the top cabinet doors?
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 10:18AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bellamira Design
You could glue molding onto the doors, even put a raised panel on them. Paint them an off-white (gray tone). I agree with Claudiann, all black would be too much. Paint the bottom cabinets black. Of course, new hardware/door pulls will make all the difference.
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 10:27AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
You could use flat ~2" wide wood trim around the edges to create a Shaker look and then paint them. You don't have to miter the corners like with regular trim molding. If the back side edges are flat, you might be able to flip the drs so the outside rounded edge is inside and get a flat edge to work with. A lot of bloggers out there have done this so search the internet with an expression like "add trim to kitchen cabinets blog.". The use of the word blog in search will get you to various blogs, who often refence each others work.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 10:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Consider changing the door pulls to the long, sleek ones.

0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 8:11AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
an applied moulding 2-3" in from the edge is only solution if the doors round over on the edge. the building supply store will have many choices. explain where you are using it. 1/2" thick max, 1/2 to 1 1/4" wide. it can be simple, then paint. Also, if you are clever with paint you could do a illusion of a moulding by carefully painting. Look through books on DYI " trompe l'oeil" techniques. Most important is consistency. if you do all dark paint, will be dramatic but carefully consider the light & your lighting if you do. you'll often see black as accent, but not often whole space. research first. Perhaps do lowers first then decide if you want to go 'all in" for uppers.
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 8:38AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Granite install issues!!
Our contractor told us there would not be a seam in...
Rug/Coffee Table for living room
Hi so we are in the process of purchasing a new area...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Let's play with my Snazzy Garottage project
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term...
Help w new area rug / patterned curtain challenge
I recently purchased a more suitable sized sofa and...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.