Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What to do with this ugly fireplace
khelmeid
February 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are going to paint the walls a macchiato color and thinking of at least staining the mantle but I still can stand this fireplace and don't have much of a budget.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Kelsey Chin
I think you could paint the fireplace wall, more of a pop color. Darken the stain on the mantel, and then whitewash the stones.
February 3, 2013 at 9:39am   
njmomma
Give the fireplace wall an accent color, that may help you to decide whether you should paint for stain the mantel.
February 3, 2013 at 9:40am     
njmomma
pic:
February 3, 2013 at 9:48am   
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
I would darken the mantle pretty much like the frame around the hearth. Then paint the wall behind it one of the darker hues in the stone. I think you will like it better then.
February 3, 2013 at 9:49am     
kobley
Is the frame around the hearth baby proofing? Stain the mantle if you can.
February 3, 2013 at 9:55am   
groveraxle
Definitely stain the mantel dark. I think you'd like it better if you removed everything above the mantel and replaced it with one large piece of art. That saguaro photo blown up to about 2/3 the width of the fireplace would look great.
February 3, 2013 at 9:59am   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Frame out around the fireplace to extend to the wall corners. Add a raised panel to the new surface, Remove the mantle and add a new one to cover the top to the ends of the new overlay. Add large corbels to the overlay to hold up the new mantel. Paint all the new wood your trim color (white). Paint all the stone black .now the fireplace will make a statement in the room and will be completely updated. Your ceiling is high and the expanded size will look more in proportion. Try it on Photoshop to see how the finished product would look.
February 3, 2013 at 10:09am   
Keitha
I like groveraxie's suggestion and in addition i do agree with other comments for color on the fireplace wall but stay neutral with the wall... Maybe pulling out one of the mid-tone shades in the stone. A combination of these things would definitely give the fireplace richness and presence!
February 3, 2013 at 10:17am   
PRO
Ellen Grasso & Sons, LLC
Get rid of stone and tile the entire wall, from corner to corner, leaving just the fireplace opening and installing a new simpler longer mantel. Let the hearth be on the floor. It will give you a much cleaner and current look. The wall is not that long or tall and room could really benefit by making the fireplace wall the focus.
February 3, 2013 at 10:18am   
lefty47
HI -- The stone work is nice , I like the color and natural tones . If you paint an accent color on the wall it will just make the fireplace look more narrow and awkward . You need to add to the sides and put on a new mantel painted in a color that is in the stones . You could buy a cast or pre made mantel surround . Measure the stone area and how much room you have on each side (to the wall curve).
February 3, 2013 at 10:30am   
PRO
Signature Kitchen & Bath Design
I like the idea of replacing the mantel. I'd go rustic with the mantle style with a reclaimed wood beam
and leave off the corbels, keep it simple. Don't paint your beautiful stone! Visit this vendor for beams and pictures- http://www.reclaimedtimber.com/Timber/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=252.

Do enlarge a photo and make the scale bigger in both height and width. The saguaro photo mentioned above in black and white or even a sepia would look great. Gray is the new it color, paint the fireplace wall in a darker gray/beige color. Try Mega Greige 7031 by Sherwin-Williams or Gray Horse 2140-50 by Benjamin Moore.

Good luck!
February 3, 2013 at 10:30am   
misecretary
I think the mantle is too small for the fire place, both in length and width. Perhaps three, large black tiles on the hearth to help break up the one-ness of it
February 16, 2013 at 5:25pm   
mdamron61
Install a larger mantle and replace the hearth with ones that match better with the stone.
February 16, 2013 at 5:30pm   
hockey456
I think painting the mantle shelf white is what it needs

Then simplify you accessories. One large mirror or print above it with a clean-lined frame would make a lovely, timeless statement.
February 17, 2013 at 10:20pm   
hockey456
Another photo

February 17, 2013 at 10:27pm   
PRO
Planika
how about...
February 18, 2013 at 4:13am