Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Dining Room Help!
amose13
February 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We recently purchased the dining room table and chairs shown in the pictures. We are now looking for a coordinating buffet/sideboard or smaller china cabinet. We do have some crystal that we'd like to display, but feel that traditional china cabinets are a bit out of style. Any recommendations on furniture you think may work? We don't have room for both a buffet and china. Unfortunately, the maximum width of the cabinet would be 62 inches and 8 ft. tall. We recently put the buffet shown in the picture on hold. Does the attached buffet work with our table and chairs?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Creations Nadia Interior Design
February 3, 2013 at 10:13AM   
PRO
sorry:)
February 3, 2013 at 10:14AM   
PRO
and credenza:)) Are you happy with your chandelier?))
February 3, 2013 at 10:19AM   
PRO
ther are some more:))
February 3, 2013 at 10:23AM   
Keitha
I think the buffet that you chose is a very nice compliment to the table and chairs. However, not really feeling that the chandelier style is right and it seems a little small. Are you planning to replace it?
February 3, 2013 at 10:23AM     
PRO
:))
February 3, 2013 at 10:26AM     
Keitha
I like this chandelier from Ballards... A friend has it in her dining room and its lovely. Stunning when lit at night!
February 3, 2013 at 11:20AM     
PRO
LOVE it!!!:)))
February 3, 2013 at 11:37AM     
Bonnie
I think the buffet you have put on hold is attractive but I don't really see it with your dining room set that has smooth flowing lines plus it will not give you the more updated look you seek.
February 3, 2013 at 11:39AM     
PRO
STUDIO MB
This would be lovely
February 3, 2013 at 11:51AM   
amose13
Thanks so much for all your suggestions! Yes, we are definitely going to replace the chandelier. Love the one from Ballards! Exactly what I had in mind! Do you know who makes the corner curio you posted-the one in your 2nd post? I also like the two-tone lighter buffet you posted? Any idea of the manufacturer? Thanks again! Great ideas!
February 3, 2013 at 12:04PM   
rinqreation
Search for a high cabinet, the room could use some height. A pearl-white with a wooden backboard would add some drama to the room without the massiveness of a stained wooden one.
February 3, 2013 at 12:10PM     
PRO
February 3, 2013 at 1:59PM   
PRO
which buffet we are talking about?
February 3, 2013 at 2:02PM   
amose13
I like this one!
February 3, 2013 at 2:36PM   
PRO
Red Ridge Wine Cellars
I know this isn't what you said you were looking for but if there was any way you could it would make a beautiful backdrop to have a custom low cabinet sectional built across the whole long wall with an 8' long maybe center section about 4" shallower than the two end sections in a medium dark wood like the table and chairs species. Have the top section also 3"inches lower at 30" high and the wings at 33"-34" high. Make the tops with the same design style as the table. If done right it won't cost much more than some higher end buffet cabinets. Above that hang an 8' wide by 30" mirror with a medium wood and gilded silver combination finish detail.
It would be pretty stunning and impressive and make for a complete package.

Whatever you choose you have already chosen well with the table and chairs. Happy entertaining!
All the best,

Red Ridge Millwork & Design Ltd.
greg@redridgewinecellars.com http://www.redridgemillwork.com http://www.allreclaimedwoodfurniture.com
February 3, 2013 at 3:09PM   
PRO
i love it too ,a specially if you'll get the chandelier that Keitha proposed:)) http://www.wayfair.com/Stein-World-Chesterfield-Veneer-Credenza-26203-SM2302.html Vois-la!
February 3, 2013 at 3:23PM     
amose13
Thanks Red Ridge Millwork! Do you have any pictures of the built-in you are describing? Sounds like a unique idea!
February 4, 2013 at 6:56AM   
PRO
Intainium Home Cinemas
I'm sorry but I don't. This is t why I commented but I'd be happy to do a drawing for you. We build custom furniture and wine cellars so since its my business I can't do it for free but I sure could make it affordable for you if you thought it would help decide.
Constantly t me directly at my email or phone 705.441.0295 and for about the cost of a nice dinnerout we can give you what you need to see.

All the best,
Greg
Red Ridge Millwork & Design
February 4, 2013 at 8:15AM   
Genevieve
First you need a larger chandelier over the table ,second you don't really need all those chairs at table and you could position 2 of them elsewhere in the room, a credenza of the similar wood loo d look perfect the one that you have on hold look okay but a bit to ornate for your style of furniture ,look for a slim line or a serving table I have one of those and it sure comes handy when having guests for supper, something like this one for example http://www.morrisathome.com/Item.aspx?ItemID=-1558115064&ItemNum=837-320 http://www.morrisathome.com/Item.aspx?ItemID=-1558115064&ItemNum=837-320
February 4, 2013 at 8:27AM   
amose13
Does this buffet work better than the one I attached in the original post?
February 6, 2013 at 8:10AM   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Why would you want a chandelier like your friends?? Larger is certainly needed. Larger goes for cabinets in this room. You need something tall on the wall that shows the stairs through the doorway, or a great credenza for serving with 1 very large painting above it. If you put a piece on the long wall it will have to be very narrow in depth as you would not be able to pull the chairs out to sit down I would not put furniture on that wall. Not loving the little curios in the corners..just too small and messy looking. You will need lots of art, mirrors etc. on the long wall. You need to bring the eye up. I would choose a very large tall framed mirror centered on your chandelier. On both sides of mirror, 2 or more stacked, framed alike pieces of art, etchings, whatever. A very large patterned rug..a colorful oriental would be great..bold colors. Lastly 4 simple, plain, drapery panels hung very high, hanging straight down off the side windows as much as possible in a neutral color.
February 6, 2013 at 8:29AM     
aniluap2
I think that some of the pieces shown are too heavy. The table and chairs are dramatic and heavy. I would look for something that offers some contrast , is lighter in profile and works to accent your beautiful inning room set rather than compete with it.
February 6, 2013 at 8:54AM   
aniluap2
Maybe something in a slightly lighter wood like the accent strips on the top of the table.
February 6, 2013 at 8:56AM   
Genevieve
amose13 I say no ,sorry!
February 6, 2013 at 9:24AM   
Genevieve
Can you please post a picture of the table alone to show what sort of base/legs it has.
February 6, 2013 at 9:26AM     
Genevieve
I like the curio cabinets but if you have noticed this room the corners are not real corners
February 6, 2013 at 9:27AM   
amose13
Thanks for the advice! Attached is my actual table.
February 6, 2013 at 9:49AM     
aniluap2
I wholeheartedly agree with Genevieve, it will look a lot less heavy in the room.
February 6, 2013 at 10:14AM     
amose13
Great-Thanks so much!
February 6, 2013 at 10:15AM     
PRO
Lux2You
You can create a bar table between living room and what is behind the doorway (?, kitchen) and build in a cabinet with things you would like to display. You than could use this this bar stand for a drink and quick snack .
February 6, 2013 at 10:25AM   
amose13
That is a good idea. On the other side of that wall is the family room. I have thought about adding a butler's pantry on the opposite side of that wall, but maybe it can be functional from both sides. Thanks for the idea!
February 6, 2013 at 10:40AM   
amose13
In my shopping for a piece to go with our dining room, I found the cabinets shown in the attached pictures. Will either of these work with our dining room set? Which do you like better?
February 17, 2013 at 3:24PM   
Aja Mazin
The buffet shown in the picture on hold is BEAUTIFUL and would work well!
February 17, 2013 at 3:33PM   
PRO
#2:)))
February 18, 2013 at 5:55AM   
Aja Mazin
You have a stunning Theodore Alexander Gabrielle's Dining Table, mahogany, with figured mahogany inlaid.veneer.

Your first selection is an excellent choice to accompany it.

I do not understand how anyone could suggest otherwise.
February 18, 2013 at 6:46AM   
amose13
Thanks Aja! Are you referring to the buffet or the gold cabinet? Thanks for the feedback!
February 18, 2013 at 6:48AM     
Aja Mazin
Your dining table!

It is Flame Mahogany, Satinwood Veneer, inspired by an Regency piece. and if you paid less than $3,000 for the table alone, then you stole it.
February 18, 2013 at 6:53AM   
Aja Mazin
The chest in is an excellent match.
It is inspired by an 18th century Italian cabinet.

Where did you find these pieces?
February 18, 2013 at 6:56AM   
Aja Mazin
Here is the website for that fine table and chairs:
http://theodorealexander.com/HouseOfTA/PhilosophyAndVision.aspx
February 18, 2013 at 7:00AM   
Aja Mazin
The cabinet you selected appears almost identical to Theodore Alexander ' s Putti cabinet..
http://theodorealexander.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ItemID=eb2fe104-30bd-491a-a1db-e74398317a98

YOU HAVE A BEAUTIFUL, HEIRLOOM QUALITY SET!
February 18, 2013 at 9:34AM   
amose13
Thanks! Yes, the cabinet is the TA Putti cabinet. Found these pieces at two different furniture stores near Philadelphia. We seem to be drawn to a lot of Theodore Alexander pieces!
February 18, 2013 at 5:53PM