Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
kitchen
hicklinlw
February 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
long kitchen w awkward table and island - need more counter and cabinet space. Thought of an angled counter w table backed up to it. getting rid of current tall pub style table.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
The Virtual Designer- Kitchens & Bathrooms
Hello- Are you planning on a totally new kitchen or perhaps just using what you have as far as cabinetry goes and re-arranging. Either way, are you able to post a floor plan of the space? Many thanks
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 3:32PM
PRO
Red Ridge Millwork
Could you turn the wood top island 90 degrees? It looks like you could shorten the overhangs on either end if you needed to make for a larger passage space around it. The floor would most likely be continuous beneath it so no increased cost there. It might create a more contained and accessible counter area.
It does look like its a very nice space already with a lot of great natural light.

All the best with your project...hope you get what you are hoping for when its finished.

Red Ridge Millwork & Design Ltd.
greg@redridgewinecellars.com http://www.redridgemillwork.com http://www.allreclaimedwoodfurniture.com
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 3:41PM
hicklinlw
I am going to use the present lower cabinets but may redo the upper ones.The piece you see to the left of the fridge is a furniture piece that matches my cabinets pretty well. It could be relocated to the wall wher the table is and make a bank of cabinets in its place. The oak top island is moveable and we have often move it @ a 90 degree angle. The major problem is we congregate in that tight area where the cook top is located. The table rarely is used. ( 4 grown people) . I would like to redirect the flow to that far end of where the island is located.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 6:14PM
designgirl178
Is your kitchen large enough to use two islands parallel with each other? You might be able to use the old wall cabinets by adding a base if needed--for a second island that would match or to extend the old one for more storage. Good luck..
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 6:39PM
PRO
Signature Kitchen & Bath Design
Depending on how wide the kitchen is you could consider putting in a 90 degree wall to the left of where the frig sits. It looks like a column now? Run the wall out enough to where you can add a blind corner cabinet and turn frig., approx. 48". Then cut the wall down to counter height and add cabinets and a top. You are creating a peninsula where people can sit and visit and then they are away from cook top. Don't know what is behind existing raised bar but you could consider making it a full wall so people don't sit there. You could then have added wall cabinet storage. You can also add base cabinets to the back of the new wall and run the new peninsula top all the way to wall. Hope this helped!
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 6:53PM
hicklinlw
This is an option I had not considered - I will measure out on the floor and spacing and see if it gives us adequate room. Interesting idea -
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 8:16PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Certainly I would remove the upper level from your island so that it is all 36" high. Then if you are able to turn it 90 degrees on occasion, It seems to me that there must be space to increase the size of the island to a more square configuration. In whatever direction you are able, I would increase the island size to give you the seating at 36" that you need.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 8:22PM
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.