powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I need help in choosing an exterior paint color for my West Coast style home.
Nancy
February 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need to repaint my West Coast style home and cannot decide on a paint color for the trim siding, and door. The roof is shake and is a dominant feature at the front of the house and there is not a lot of trim. The neighbour on one side has his home painted in a blue hue and the other neighbour's home is painted in a dark beige. I tend to use Benjamin Moore paints the most. Any suggestions for colors and combinations would be most helpful.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mmilos
I would lighten it up by painting the siding a light grayish taupe color...go a few shades lighter on the trim for a sophisticated tone on tone effect.

I like your tree. But I think I'd thin out the front landscape so we can see more of the house.
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 10:58AM
lefty47
HI - Wow , that's a great looking house ! I would do it in a weathered light grey -almost white and paint the roof edge trim a charcoal . Paint the garage doors the same as the main color - if you can maybe square off those little angled corners for a more modern look.If you are going to replace the garage doors - I think those frosted modern doors would up date the house . You know already that the lanscaping needs to tamed , right ? Get an expert to do that . I can't see the front door - but have a nice modern one in an awsome color - like a red or orange or a colbalt blue . And that should do it. This will make the house stand out from the rest .
2 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 11:14AM
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
I would ask what you don't like about the color. The garage door is a bit too blue, other than that the house looks good.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 11:17AM
Nancy
Thank you for your suggestion. Do you have a sample color that you can attach so that I know what grayish taupe looks like? The front of the house has a private garden with a little pathway that we like. Hopefully the picture below will give you a better idea. We have a huge living room window and wanted more privacy from the street.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 11:23AM
decoenthusiaste
Try some shades of greige - maybe several from the same color strip. Light ones on shady areas and darker ones in fully sunlit areas or trim. Then accent with a black or richly stained front door.

0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 11:25AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Check out these Ben Moore Exterior colors..for body of house & garage door Clarksville Gray HC102(this is in there historic collection) and for trim Stampede #979 I like these colors together and they would look nice with your neighbors as well. Check out the Ben Moore website for color samples and combinations
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 11:26AM
Dee Gould
What a great house...light gray body, darker gray trim, garage door same as body of hse and a beautiful red front door..like your front garden, do a little thinning out so this beautiful home can be seen and appricated...good luck with whatever you chose..
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 11:33AM
Nancy
Wow, I am so thankful for the suggestions! I guess my green thumb has gotten away on me and I may need to redo the front garden landscaping. I have another question however and that has to do with the back of the house. A couple of years ago I had the balconies redone on the second and third floors, and on the bottom floor there is a patio. All were done with a natural cedar stain. Can you paint over stain and would you suggest doing those trims in the trim colours you suggested?
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 11:55AM
rinqreation
I'd choose a light greige and copper-orange (like the cedar balcony) doors and windows with a cream white trim.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 11:57AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I think in the beige tones I suggested earlier, the stained surfaces would blend nicely...and I like the natural look of them.
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 11:58AM
Nancy
Barbara Griffith Designs- Meaning you would suggest that I leave the cedar stained trims at the back of the house as they are now?
2 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 12:03PM
mmilos
You definitely have a green thumb! The plants look healthy and great. Although, personally, especially for a front yard, I think less is more. Simplify the design to go with your contemporary home.
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 2:31PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Yes, I would definitely leave them as they are now. I also think they really highlight your fabulous landscaping and I don't think you should lose that look.
1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 6:59AM
PRO
Arlene Warda, Architecture+Interior Design
Hi, I like the era of this house!..well, I tried some colors, accent colors for trim. I noticed your windows don't have trim. So, I showed some, how it would look. I think you can add some. And for trying it, have some painted, as samples first, you don't have to 'install' them, just temporarily lay them accross the windows to get the right look.

I did three. I do like the green that is a light green. It gives your a house a calming look. I also tried white, and red, as suggested above.

p.s. you have a great yard!.. I hope you have fun with this!..
1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 7:00AM
PRO
By Design EK
Please chek out the Benjamin moore paint colors for the house pictured. It is under curb appeal on their website. I like the lighter color for the body of the house, Revere Pewter HC-172, Night Train 1567 for some accent and trim, this is probably similar to the blue grey you have and would then blend with your neighbor, and then Firenze AF-225 is a terra cotta type color tht would be a great accent for doors and maybe some trim. I think this type of color as an accent would blend with your stained cedar and you could keep the cedar without painting it. Adding a color like the terra cotta would be a great way to make your house stand out a bit from the neighbors and also I think would not look too bold considering all of the wonderfyl color you have in your gardens. Have a little fun with it! I would paint some of the fascia in the terra cotta that sticks out above the windows, under the roof line. I would also consider a brighter cream for the main color, but the pewter may tie in your roof shingles better!
2 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 7:20AM
Nancy
Thank you for your suggestion! Revere Pewter has been a favourite that I had looked at and so will definitely give this some consideration. A question...is it usual to pain the garage door the same colour as the main body of the house?
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 8:27AM
Nancy
Arlene Warda, I agree with you 100% in adding trim around my windows. I plan to replace/upgrade my windows as I can afford to and will definitely add trim when I do.
1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 8:43AM
PRO
By Design EK
very usuall to paint the garage door same color as the house. It is just a matter of whether you want the door to stand out or not. I would lean towards painting it the darker blue grey for your house and paint the fascia under the roofline in the terra cotta or firenze color. It would be great in the pewter also.
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 8:56AM
PRO
Hi Nancy, thanks! You can do little by little, and do some 'demo's' as frame pieces to see the look beforehand!...
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 9:15AM
PRO
Hi, I highlighted the soffits, just to see how it looks. It could be quite stunning!... same technique as the windows, and do it with sample, colors, first
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 9:20AM