Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Room off of living room help?
mccor1ja
February 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello,

I have this room with a fireplace off the main living room and I'm not sure what to do with it. Any ideas?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
Reading/conversation nook! I would look at a rectangular rug that is a little longer than the hearth stone (the tile in front of the fireplace). That rug would run parallel to the hearth. Then place seating on the "short edges" of the rug, facing each other. A low slung table between or an ottoman for reading and you are "done".
3 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 11:50AM
abigailgcs
Question for Cancork Floor: is it acceptable to put a rug on existing carpet? I thought it was for hardwoods only?
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 11:56AM
mobwife
I would turn that room into a library with ceiling to floor book shelves, way too many pictures on the mantel and a couple of leather club chairs and possibly a pharmacy floor lamp between the chairs and a small table for a start. move the chairs closer to the center of the room. Trim the doorway with moulding, remove the carpet in that room and replace with a hardwood floor. Nice picture above the fireplace with a couple of items on the mantle. Not knowing the size of the doorways, perhaps french doors with glass panes and stationary glass panes on the side of each door so that the doors aren't that big and costly. I would treat it as a completely separate room. I don't know how big the room is maybe a desk in the library with a nice chair,instead of the two club chairs.. Needs warmth and color.
5 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 11:58AM
emanti
I agree...maybe a rug with two chairs in front of the fireplace...Also maybe you could try rearranging your sectional so the back separates the spaces more, yet you are still able to view the tv. So from your photo it would look like an upside down L shape.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 11:59AM
feeny
You are the envy of 50% of the design dilemma posters on Houzz, all of whom seem to be trying to solve the dilemma of how to focus their living room on both the TV and the fireplace! Two lovely seating areas--one focused on the TV; one meant for conversation and focused on the fireplace.
6 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 12:19PM
mccor1ja
Thanks for all the great suggestions!
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 1:01PM
simplify52
I love mobwife's ideas. That is basically what I was thinking when I first saw the room.
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 1:07PM
decoenthusiaste
Here's a nice library layout for furnishings. Match the built-in bookcases to your upstairs bannister's finish. It will be lovely. Then we'll tackle the TV room!

2 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 1:13PM
mobwife
turning the sectional may not work with viewing the TV and cut into the flow of other rooms.
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 2:41PM
simone90
I think a seating area with 2 comfy cosy arm chairs, maybe an upholstered ottoman in between with a tray for drinks/books/decorations would look nice. Maybe similar to the armchairs and ottoman in the background of the pic attached?
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 9:24PM
PRO
Dytecture
I agree, a library or reading nook would be nice in this situation.

1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 8:14AM
Linda
As soon as I saw it, I too, thought library/reading area and WOW what a lucky person have this area to make one. I think people gave you some good ideas as well. Put up before and after pics if you chose to do it. :-)
1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 8:25AM