Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Small kitchen with lots of doors!
nitter27
February 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I will be remodeling in about a year and am starting to collect ideas. My appliances are new (except for the microwave which is way too big for me). Hopefully the pictures will post right side up now. Ceiling height=8'7". Room dimensions 9'5(window side)*10'1(stove side).
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
1millieonaire
Quite a challenge! If you could give a few more details it would be helpful ;-)

How many people/pets live here? If just 1 or 2 - are you staying long term because resale might be affected if your improvements don't work for a family.

Could you afford/ is there room for an extension at the back door? For safety reasons I'm not keen on a stovetop by a door - even if it was hinged on the left side - but a modest 4 to 5' bump out would allow the oven to be turned 90* against this new wall as well as adding cabinet space.

Is access to the basement from the kitchen a priority? Valuable counter/cabinet space could be gained in that corner, as well as a more balanced look for the big window.

All cabinets could go up to the ceiling to maximize storage and I prefer big drawers in most lower ones.

What is through door #3 by the 'fridge !? Guess it's a diningroom and if so, could you remove some or all of it?

I'm sure you love your big NEW appliances but if the room size just can't be enlarged in your remodeling, consider getting a good price for them then investing in a wall oven next to a new counter depth fridge. This allows a cooktop to be centered on that outside wall with added cabinet space below. If you do keep your 'fridge and close the basement access doorway, why not make this counter 30" deep too?

A note about the 'behind the scenes' work. The wall insulation and electrical wiring should be on your list of things to be considered while the walls are stripped of cabinets - and a good lighting plan will put everything in a bright light!

Ikea's kitchen dept. have useful print-outs for kitchen planning - get a few and have fun!
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 1:17PM
nitter27
2 dogs, 1 person. I have an old brick house so don't really want to mess with the outside walls. I only have one way to get to the basement without going outside. I would love to get a wall oven but didn't think that would save me any space+ i needed an oven now (old one broke). Lighting & Electric & insulation are definitely on the list! yes, the dining room! i definitely like my kitchen closed off from the dining room and would not change that, really one of the things i like about my house! it's hard to find small appliances, the fridge is smaller than most and has been discontinued!
Thanks for the advice! feel free to add more if it occurs to you!
Oh and i plan to stay in this house for years to come!
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 3:41PM
joanbllt
Suggest you get one of those inexpensive house design programs - you can move furniture so easily on graphics programs - even stoves and sinks - I looked at your plan and wanted to close off the outside door (make it into a window) and take the long window and change it into an outside door and smaller window. Then you would have a nice long wall for the refrigerator, a counter, then a sink and a dishwasher. Then the stove could go on the opposite wall with counter space on either side. The kitchen does seem dark - and you chose the black appliances - could you possibly lighten it up with white or light gray cabinets - or cream - and keep the backsplash also light in color - with accents of your favorite colors.
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 12:40AM