Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What color for the front door???
fitzie4321
February 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We need to paint our front door that is currently stained a reddish brown. Should we keep it stained or go with a color? Was thinking black but will it be too blah since the shutters are black???
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
The Griffin Group Keller Williams Houston Realtors
Benjamin Moore Moroccan Red. It's absolutely stunning with your current color combination!
February 3, 2013 at 1:19PM     
juliefitz
Also- can anything be done about the "angel wing" shutters on the arched windows? Not crazy about the stucco around the windows, but think I'm stuck with it. Suggestions???
February 3, 2013 at 1:21PM   
lefty47
HI - I like the way the door looks now - I would just refinish it and add the same color stain . It looks real nice and classy. No to the black -- shutters and front door should not be the same color .
February 3, 2013 at 1:21PM     
decoenthusiaste
I think black will reinforce what you've already done. My issue is the small shutters over the square windows. Unlike your arched ones, most of them are obviously "faux" and won't close over the window. For the windows where that is the case I'd remove the shutters. I assume there is trim around all the windows that is being covered up. DO they all look like the large one on the ground floor? I think it is a contradiction to the style to cover the stone trim, so I don't think I would have ever added the shutters to this style of home unless the stone or concrete trim is incomplete. A bigger boost would be to rethink the clumpy hedges blocking up your front entry.
February 3, 2013 at 1:24PM   
elwillems
I think it looks good with the colour it has right now!! If you think you need to fix it up a bit, then try staining it with the same colour!?!?!
February 3, 2013 at 1:24PM   
kro9o
High gloss black. Gloss to pop and black so it contrasts with the frame instead of blend with the brick.
February 3, 2013 at 1:26PM   
PRO
About the angel shutters, you could just take them off and trim all the way around the window with the same stucco, much like the large picture window at bottom.
February 3, 2013 at 1:26PM   
sweetpeadaisy2
I agree...get rid of the angel wings and go with the red door
February 3, 2013 at 1:28PM     
nevadan
Maroon gloss paint.
February 3, 2013 at 1:31PM   
juliefitz
If I get rid of the angel shutters, what about the area that will be exposed where they are currently...the brick would be exposed there, since the stucco is not behind the shutters...How can I get around that??
February 3, 2013 at 1:36PM   
juliefitz
@decoenthusiaste- I agree about taking the shutters down, but there is not stucco behind them so it will look strange...
February 3, 2013 at 1:37PM   
PRO
Trim it out with stucco just like the picture window at the bottom.
February 3, 2013 at 1:41PM     
polisheddomaine
I agree with high gloss black and add a cool door knocker and some potted boxwood bushes on each side.
February 3, 2013 at 5:04PM   
PRO
Banarsi Designs
Love the color the door is right now. I think painting it black would be a bit too much, the door needs to stand out from the rest of the house. I would either stain the current door or go with a deep wine red color.
February 3, 2013 at 5:15PM   
cjohnston
I think the door looks great as is. I've also heard that instead of painting a door black, use a very, very dark brown. It will give the effect of a black door but with some warmth.
February 3, 2013 at 6:11PM   
loroca
How bout a deep mossy green with black mixed in? Like the colour of the bushes in front of the house
February 5, 2013 at 3:50PM   
judianna20
I'd keep the angel wings and get rid of the others. The wings look as if they could close and cover the glass…the others are just too dinky.

I vote black for the door. Lovely home.
February 5, 2013 at 3:59PM     
Christine
Pony up some moolah and get that door and the blue surround painted a lacquered black. Then get some high end brass or nickel locks & such. If you want a color I would go with a Ferrari red on just the door and do the blue trim in that lighter cream you have or black. Thin out some of those bushes so the door takes center stage. Fantastic home you have. good luck
February 5, 2013 at 4:03PM   
timandt
Black door!. Keep the shutters. The house is gorgeous as is.
February 5, 2013 at 5:20PM   
pitbulls
I like it just as it is.Very pretty
February 5, 2013 at 5:28PM   
Terri Maines_Theisen
I think the door you have now looks great with the brick & I love the 2 different shutters on the house.
February 5, 2013 at 5:32PM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.