Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
New couch color and color of hallway
mhensonnv
February 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need to buy a new couch (the loveseat in the photo is going to be recovered also). The last one I had was sage green like the recliner cover (I hate the recliner but not the cover).

The photos start at the couch in the living room and sweep around to the right showing how the room is open to the dining room and comes in full circle back to the recliner, next to the couch.

As you can see the walls are light gold color, and a light sage green. The rug is beige.

Should I get another sage green couch? Or beige? I am thinkng sectional which would get rid of the recliner. Should it be a solid color? Then get another occasional chair with maybe a pattern?

Also the hallway is currently white and looks too stark next to the entry walls and living room walls and was wondering what shade to use.
Thanks everyone!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Emily Hurley
I think for a sectional, I'd go with a solid cover that you can then accessorize with some pillows in a pattern. For the chair, if you include one, go with a pattern that coordinates with the pillows for the sofa.
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 2:58PM
PRO
Kimberley Bryan
If you're not too married to the colors you have on the walls, I'd recommend making both the arched wall and side walls the same color. Streamlined sectional with patterned pillows that tie together the room's colors. Since the coffee table appears to be black and the TV center is mid-brown wood grain, painting the various pieces of furniture in the room (white, perhaps?) would unify your current furniture. There are different furniture styles in the room, so I'd take some time to think about what feel you want the room to have, and then do simple DIY changes (such as changing the lampshades or covering them with fabric that coordinates with your throw pillows) and try for adherence to that 'feel' with colors, styles, pattern and sectional form. Looks like a nice amount of space, so I'm sure you can make the space work. (Think light and bright for furniture, neutral on large upholstered pieces and augment and tie together with pattern on accessories, pillows and lighting). Have fun!
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 5:10PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I think there are pieces you need to get rid of in the room before you start buying new ones. Here's what I suggest:
1. Move the dresser with mirror to a bedroom. It does not belong in the living room.
2,. Give away the big oak entertainment unit and get a simple console to hold A-V equipment and the TV. Buy a new TV to hang on the wall or put the old one on the new console. Get rid of everything that is currently on top and to the side of the entert. center. Move the picture that is leaning against the wall to another location.
3. Use the pretty table with the flowers on it as an end table in the living room.
4. Please provide a rough sketch of the living room so that we can advise you on what size furniture you need to buy. Buying the wrong pieces can be an expensive mistake. Please let us help you with size and style recommendations.
5. After we help you with furniture layout, we can also recommend a rug for you that is the proper size.
6. And then, perhaps we can discuss wall colors. What's the current color?
7. Please explain why you want to recover your loveseat. I'm not a lover of loveseats, preferring instead to use 2 chairs instead of a loveseat. But I'll listen to reason... sometimes! :)
11 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 5:49PM
jenpa8
You need to hit the reset button on this room. Get rid of everything, find your style, and add pieces back in. It's amazing what you can find used these days, this doesn't have to cost you a fortune. It's more about having the fortitude to look at this furniture you've collected over the years and say good bye to it all.
3 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 7:10PM
sfsurfdude
Wow... Good Luck....
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 7:12PM
mhensonnv
Thanks everyone.
I have decided to go with either a beige or camel color sectional. The black coffee table isn't permanent, there on loan till my daughter moves out.
To jenpa8 and sfsurfdude, guess you guys don't like the poor man, eclectic, hand-me-down style ;-)
To Carolyn Albert-Kincl Design: Yes the dresser needs to move--its permanent home is temporarily filled with boxes until my daughter moves back out. The oak entertainment center will eventually be replace with a built-in fireplace with surrounding shelving and a flat screen tv above, but, alas, that will take awhile. The loveseat will probably not stay, but will be replace by two occasional chairs.
The hall color will probably be the same light gold as the arch or maybe a little lighter.
I was messing around with photoshop, and that's how I decided on the beige or camel.
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 8:54PM
Jayme H.
I think you are correct in thinking a more neutral color for your sofa..it will make it easier to decorate around when you are ready to make changes.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 5:34AM
PRO
mhensonnv, thanks for the explanation about having some of your daughter's furniture in your living room. I think that your plan for beige of camel is a good one. We'd love to help you decide what shape and size sectional might be good for your room if you'd like.
1 Like   February 8, 2013 at 7:33AM
lefty47
HI -- I totaly agree with Carolyn --- If you are going to the exspence , then why not take yourself in a whole new direction with this room , but I would even change the color . Benjamin Moore has a new color of the year - it is a real pretty soft yellow - if you like to stay in that color family . But , look at Houzz and other websites and magazines for other livingroom ideas . Here is the color # 2019 - 60 Lemon Sorbet
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 8:41AM
Genevieve
First of all do you have any small children in the house or visiting ? if yes stay away from light colour. A sectional with reclining seats would probably fit in your area , it depends on the style that you choose. I like that picture that you have hanging behind the desk perhaps you could pick a colour from it . Is there a reason on why do you keep furniture lined up against the wall ?
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 12:27PM
Ella at Wishack.com
You could also use a different rug to add more color to this room. It doesn't have to be a loud color, but something like this that has a geometric design that isn't overwhelming.
3 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 12:52PM
Susan Flowers
I'm not getting the furniture placement...how are you going to build a fireplace on an interior wall? Is the entry between the living room and dining room (I'm seeing that runner there ) or is it the door in the first photo.....I'm wondering because it seems spacious and light where you have the desk/dresser/plant table and I'm wondering why that side of the room is not being used....I'm not great at room layout but it seems your TV is in the wrong spot.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 1:10PM
mhensonnv
@Susan Flowers, On the otherside of the wall is our gas range. Can't have a wood stove so we are putting in a gas fireplace since there is venting there.
The space where the desk/dresser/plant table is as narrow as where the couch and tv are now. The shape of the room is a long narrow L.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 5:07PM
mhensonnv
@Ella at Wishack.com: I like that rug, nice pattern but not alot of loud colors. I had the beige rug because I had a dark sage green couch before. I could always use the current one in another sitting area.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 5:09PM
mhensonnv
@Genevieve: The space is so narrow.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 5:11PM
mhensonnv
@lefty47: I just painted the entry, living room, dining room and kitchen, don't want to change now, maybe later. I will look at the Benjamin Moore # 2019 - 60 Lemon Sorbet color, I might use it for the hallway if it fits in.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 5:14PM
mhensonnv
Here are the dimensions of the room.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 6:03PM
mhensonnv
Benjamin Moore # 2019 - 60 Lemon Sorbet: I like it! Its the color in my dining room that I had specially mixed (and don't have the formula they used anymore and can't recreate)! That would be perfect for the hall way!
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 6:09PM
mhensonnv
Obviously the colors are a little off as I was just messing around in PhotoShop.
The yellow color in my room is Behr Ferncliffe.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 6:13PM
Jean Tuck
I love the area that you show and the furniture pieces especially the desk!There are many arched doorways and I am so atracted to that look and the openess in design.Maybe the older table with shelf below could move to beside Tv with a green plant on it where it would have good light, and my feeling would only move the blak chair to opposite end of the room if you really needed it pull it out of scene to see how You feel about that. Myself Id like the tall plant down by the china cabinet and I think the mirroered dresser is nice for a bedrm, I love it. The extra Black chair might be put in its place.Maybe remove little stand with blanket on it beside this chair $ stores have nice table clothes for small tables to dress it up very inexpensively. Lots of great pieces to work with , you will enjoy fixing it differently. Maybe share a photo of what you do, I know Id love to see it.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 6:23PM
PRO
There are various kinds of fireplaces which can be placed on interior walls these days, but the one I'm most familiar with is the Dimplex 50", a sleek contemporary electric fireplace which is only 7" deep and about 19" high. Even if it starts a foot off the floor, that leaves plenty of space above it for a TV, something I don't usually approve of, but which actually works quite well with this fireplace. Here's the link to the fireplace: http://www.fastfireplaces.com/dimplex-blf50-50-inch-linear-wall-mount-electric-fireplace.html?source=googleps&gclid=CMqI7fCjqLUCFQKoPAodSTcAow

mhensonnv, you do indeed have an unusually shaped living room. But happily, it allows for two seating areas, one small one in front of the fireplace, and another slightly larger one around the corner as you approach the dining room. Plus there's space for a desk in between the seating groups, in the corner. I believe you stated that you wanted a sectional, but I really don't think that would be the best plan for you.
8 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 7:32PM
mhensonnv
With the rug Ella at Wishack.com recommended
3 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 8:33PM
lparides
Start with the main piece ,and from there chair ,tables, don't buy all at once hall paint a accent color that picks up a color in the room. And mix things up stay away from every matching step out of the box the room will be fun.
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 8:19AM
PRO
I'd start with a leather sofa for the TV/fireplace area, keeping the design simple and with skinny arms that don't take up much space. Space needs to be for sitting. Our arms don't really require much room. Then I'd find a comfortable chair in the same leather or a fabric chair. Again, you need to watch the overall size and the arm size.

I like the contrast in color that the light but rugged top on the West Elm coffee table could add to you living room. I'd then add a round end table and like the one below. The wood does not match the coffee table and that's good because i don't want it to. Stir in one table lamp and one floor lamp and that part of the living room has furniture, tho no accessories. Those will come later...to be continued
Dexter Leather Collection Sofa, No Buttons Maxon Leather Club Chair Multicolor - LCMS0011DB
Box Frame Coffee Table
The Stein World Bridgeport Round End Table is destined for a long and happy life
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 1:41PM
mhensonnv
I like the idea of small armed chairs and couch but need to go with microfiber for pet hair and leather would just be too cold for winter here. I was thinking if going with some sort of coffee table with storage so during the warm months I can hide the throws. I have end tables but I do like the idea of a round one to take up less space..
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 3:06PM
PRO
I'm happy to hear what you'd like to have as that is very helpful. There's no reason you can't have microfiber on the sofa instead of leather. Where do you live? As for a storage coffee table, I like the one below because it does not go all the way to the floor. It's from West Elm and it will not look as heavy and bulky as a table that goes to the floor. You have more space for that kind of storage coffee table in the other part of the living room that is nearer the dining room.

Have you figured out what kind of fireplace you're going to install and what amount of space it will take?

0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 3:17PM
tbulger
You need to move your Daughters furniture out of your house. I AM a fan of eclectic poor man style and this is just humbled. A real designer is giving real advice- take it. Your walls are boring. If you want to do something NOW. Save your money and go to galleries, auctions or art fairs and buy a large one of a kind painting/ wall item that you love. If you seek you will find and can even afford.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 4:51AM
EMM
Camel is a great color - but I am with tbulger - the yellow walls aren't quite right. Have you thought about a shade of grey - maybe a slightly warm grey - it is a great color with lighter furniture. Or get a even lighter camel wall and make grey your 2nd color. And then pop it with orange! I think those colors will go great with your wood furniture and camel couch.

Take a look at the online catologue for Crate and Barrel this month - especially the bedroom. http://www.crateandbarrel.ca/assets/Catalogue/PDF/CAFebruaryInspiration2013.pdf

Also - I like to look at fashion when I think of how to coordinate colors. That's what a lot of the fabric and interiors companies do so I figure they must know! - see this article: http://www.blushingandsweet.com/2010/09/get-cozy-this-fall-with-camel-grey.html

And if you really want to be on-trend, check out the color trends for 2013-2014. https://caus.memberclicks.net/interior-2013-14

Good luck and post pics when you are done!
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 5:29AM
kelbel71
I would paint the furniture white buy a solid colored couch then add patterned accent pillows to the couch to bring out the green or yellow then add 2 solid accent chairs that pick up one of the accent colors you have chosen for the couch. You could probably leave the chocolate brown mirror you have over the couch as it lends a little warmth to the room. I would also get rid of the recliner but stick with a couch around the same size you currently have. The room seems to be too small for a large sectional. Plus the 2 accent chairs I recommended would make up for lost space. One more thing...although I love the makeup desk with the mirror you have behind the recliner but I would move it to maybe a bedroom as it looks out of place in the living room. Good luck!
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 11:18AM
mhensonnv
The photos do not do the wall colors justice. The yellow is a nice warm golden tone and the green is a yellow green. Depending on the light it goes anywhere from Traditional Spaces design by Minneapolis Interior Designer Kathie Karsnia Interiors to a light yellow. As for Artwork, that comes last.

The room is too dark to go with grey tints, even warm grey.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 11:34AM
mhensonnv
I know my coffee table won't be black (its my daughters). I had started out with the black lamp shades as I have other accents in black around the house. Too harsh for that room? I can always change those out. I won't paint the furniture, they all stay the color they are. The frame behind couch isn't a mirror, but does include mirrors and other things hung on the wall after I figure out where the couch goes and can rehang it. My curtains are spicy red, and I have other accents in red.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 11:53AM
mhensonnv
Carolyn Albert-Kincl Design, I will keep that type of storage coffee table in mind because that's a good idea of not having a solid bottom. Thanks.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 11:58AM
bojaby
Carolyn Albert I was interested in your information on Dimplex fireplaces. I have been looking at electric fireplaces for my living room. My concern about ordering on line or buying without seeing a display is how realistic is the flame? Do you find Dimplex to have a fairly realistic look? That is!
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 12:16PM
PRO
Hi bojaby. I was a real skeptic when my client said she wanted an electric fireplace, so I went to our local dealer to take a look. I couldn't believe how good the "flames" looked. I loved the look! But I'd much prefer you work with a local fireplace source than order one online. That way there's someone to take care of any problems should they develop. By the way, the builder said it was very easy to install. We built the wall out the required 7", running it all the way up the wall. Then there was a recess above the fireplace for the TV.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 12:35PM
mhensonnv
I will eventually put the same curtains on these windows. I like this Liliana chair fron Pier 1. I even like this pattern, but dont like that it has the chair pattern has the purple plum color, I would rather have a french blue. I also like this paisley color in the Jacobean pattern on the Liliana Armchair from Pier 1.
2 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 3:05PM
PRO
A lot of manufacturers have many fabrics for you to select from. Sam Moore is a well priced line that I believe offers fabric choices.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 3:22PM
PRO
But she doesn't have the chair in the photo. It was photoshopped! She needs to buy a new chair.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 5:08PM
Susan Flowers
I love that Pier 1 chair, although I'd wonder how well the upholstery would wear...I would have considered an electric fireplace tacky until we vacationed at a condo in Vancouver that had one....it even had the colored backlights, the height of supposed tackiness....I loved it! Liked being able to run it with, or without heat, found the colors and flames calming and mesmerizing.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 8:59PM
mercedeshernaez
with so many comments and suggestions, i'm sure you are getting confused. Just be plain and simple. Let the color of your furniture melt in your walls and floor. Do put accents on your pillows and walls.... put your favorite colors there. Get rid of your bulky TV cabinet and get a slim wall type tv. No more little tables with fabric on top. A good glass top coffee table would be great as it will give a vision of space instead of bulk at the center of the room.
Atelier Manon, Interior Designer
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 6:15AM
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
I tell all my client's when purchasing large pieces of upholstery to go with a neutral and no pattern (or tone on tone) You will not tire of it and can always use pillows to change things up when you get bored. Good luck!
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 6:24AM
PRO
becca rea
I prefer neutral color couches. I have a green couch in my basement and i can only have neutral colored decorations to look good with the couch
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 7:16PM
jarav
How are these pictures being generated? It looks like through some sort of electronic means. Is there a particular program or website you to generate them?
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 7:21PM
mdamron61
The white on the arched opening needs to be painted the gold color. The green walls in the back hall do not go well with the gold. Either paint the entire back walls white or make all the walls the gold color. A sectional would be fine but not green. Go with an off white color perhaps.
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 7:27PM
mhensonnv
Jarav, I took digital photos then edited with Photoshop.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 7:13PM