Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Ideas on how I restore this 2,500 sq ft 1960s stucco
odbsmb
February 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Property has a lovely stone paved entrance with gate. Sits on about 2 acres. Advice on:

1) Keep or change current color scheme?
2) Keep balconies or expand into more liveable space?
3) Cut all trees? Or change type?
4) Restore pool or convert to tennis/b-ball area with outdoor fireplace/brick oven?
5) Keep open carport or add powered doors?

Keep the ideas flowing. Thanks Houzz family!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
As a vacation property manager, here are my thoughts. I would paint the house in a color that blends into the surrounding woods for a more secluded, away-from-it-all feeling. The right paint will prevent its looking quite so monolithic. Keep the balconies as they are but add a ground floor deck and/or screened area. Looks like you have some pines - a pain to keep your lawn clear of needles. I would eliminate them and allow hardwoods to remain. If dogwoods will grow in your area, they would be pretty in the front (pic @1.) Will you be using this property or renting it to vacationers? If you will be available to maintain a pool, that would be nice if you enjoy it. You may have to cut more trees though - they can be a real mess over a pool. Myself, I'd prefer the fenced area as a great space for a garden, fire pit, BBQ, horseshoe court, croquet lawn or badminton court. Would pull out all the shrubs around the perimeter, add native perennial plants and make it a flexible area for more than one activity. I'd focus my expenditures on the house and not worry about the carport except for painting it to match the house. You might want to stain the concrete floor of it and the porte cochere at the house to blend in better too.Lighting the grounds and the buildings would be a priority for me. Be sure the scale of any decorative lanterns or lights at the entry is substantial.
Pembrooke Outdoor Wall Lantern
Exterior
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 3:34PM
PRO
Hrivnak Associates, Ltd.
Looks like a great find on a great site. The vintage suggests you get a professional to help with the energy envelope and HVAC if you are going to be there more than 3 years.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 3:46PM
PRO
Michael Kilpatrick Design
ODB,
You are asking quite a lot here and you will probably get a lot of opinions. But I would like to ask what was it that attracted you to the house in the first place? What caught your eye? What did you find appealing about the house and the lot? Your answer should inform the responses of others quite a bit.
2 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 4:14PM
Tonyia Barnes
I think you answered your questions before you asked them. You said "restore". Obviously you bought this house because you were enchanted by the architects original vision. I don't blame you. It is a real gem. You should use that vision as your guide to what you do with the house. - Don't ever enclose the carports. They MAKE the design statement.
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 4:24PM
sacapuntaslapioz
GREAT house. restore the pool. tennis courts are difficult to maintain and a lot less popular than pools. It is a gem. enjoy it. leave balconies. leave trees. live with the house for a bit then listen to it
3 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 4:35PM
AMN
Love the house! I like the finishes as-is. They might be refreshed a bit. Hard to see the front door, but make sure it's fabulous. Such a beautiful home deserves an amazing door (if it doesn't already have one). I agree with restoring the pool. Consider refreshing the landscaping along the front of the house.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 4:48PM
odbsmb
Thanks for the comments all. The architectual design is what was appealing. It's kind of like a walk in the past--in an odd way reminded me of the house on The Brady Bunch (lol).

How much would you recommend for budget? From the looks, what would you imagine the value of a fully-restored home to be worth in say 10 years?
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 5:12PM
odbsmb
Also...the first picture shows the back of the home....quirky design...the 2nd pic is the front entrance.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 5:15PM
ikwewe
1) Keep or change current color scheme? I would change it, it needs at least two colors, just the white is not doing the house justice.
2) Keep balconies or expand into more liveable space? Keep the balconies, you look to have plenty of space inside.
3) Cut all trees? Or change type? Trees are part of the house design, cut only the ones that endanger the house,
4) Restore pool or convert to tennis/b-ball area with outdoor fireplace/brick oven? Which would you use the most?
5) Keep open carport or add powered doors? Keep the carport, it is part of the design of the house. If you closed it off, what would happen to the entry? If you mean the one that is separate from the house, you could close that one up with a door and maybe glass blocks on the sides without harming the design too much.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 5:28PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Please, contact the original architect if still living. Have them work with you to up-date the house. It is an amazing property and deserves to be kept as close to the original vision as possible. I am quite jealous I wish I could find a gem like this.
4 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 5:53PM
Sharon
Wow! What a find. So interesting. I'm thinking subtle khakis & greens, the natural look. Who makes up your family? Would your kids (if any) and /or partner use the pool or tennis area more? What area are you in? Will you get swimming weather enough months of the year to get benefit from a pool? Look forward to hearing/ seeing any updates!
1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 1:21AM
odbsmb
How much do you guys think it's worth?
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 11:47PM
tpenni
Maybe if you add a pool or more of a backyard space. Make it more family friendly! Maybe I nice sitting area, and a nice BBQ. Keep the color, or if you were to change it, change it to a lighter gray. And I like the balconies too.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 11:57PM
sacapuntaslapioz
odbsmb, value will depend on your geographical location, the rest of the property, the state of the systems and the care or lack thereof of the interior finishes. How you choose to restore it will greatly impact its value. you probably need an architect to guide you in restoring to keep the original vision while making it a comfortable modern house, not a time capsule. if you can find the original architect, go for it.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 3:34AM
anthip
I have house envy.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 10:01PM
odbsmb
Sold for $40,000
0 Likes   March 31, 2013 at 7:52PM
More Discussions
black or white vanity in bathroom?
Remodeling 8 x 8 master bath. Putting knee wall between...
Master Bedroom Paint Color Help!
Hi, I'm in the process of decorating a new home we...
In the dog house...
After too many accidents our mom started ripping out...
Bathroom renos
We are selecting materials for bathroom renos. I am...
need help with living in a small 1200sq ft house.
I was living in a 2400sq. foot home now I'm in a double...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.