Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need ideas for finishing this fireplace
makiki
February 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We're still looking for ideas on finishing our fireplace (wood insert). The silver part of it won't show, just the black. We'll use a rustic looking timber as a mantle. Would you go with a granite tile (and if so, what would go best with the black fireplace and a medium color wood floor?) or with a stone veneer (like in the second photo)? And if we go with the stone veneer what would work best for finishing the "bench" in front of the fireplace?
The space on the right hand side is a woodbox and then a white bookcase above it.
Thank you so much for your help!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Ironwood Builders
How about a stone hearth that looks good with the stacked stone?
February 4, 2013 at 1:30AM     
Orca Wave
No, go with around just the opening to straighten the perimeter in decorative mexican or an oriental dragon raised design of kiln designed baked type tiles by artist. Then only solid colours of smooth either white stucco (not textured), but glittered smooth like myca a plaster surface or pure black shiny tile.and especially carry across over door to enlarge- extend look from fireplace/ .Put solid red terra cotta type 12 inch l large square clay tiles to warm up the look and feel .Or oiled slate tile stones( with either former upper finishings) on base down to front and if bulkhead overhanging and up the right back wall beside fireplace.
February 4, 2013 at 2:53AM     
PRO
Dytecture
Here is one example with the stones half way up the wall with accent color above.

February 4, 2013 at 6:40AM     
makiki
Dytecture- your photo looks like it could work very well for us. Thank you!
February 4, 2013 at 2:34PM     
hbmiller
If you want a rustic look don't use granite. Use a stacked stone and paint the bench and built in a color from the stone, not white. Then the rustic wood mantle would tie it together
February 4, 2013 at 3:40PM   
PRO
Dytecture
Glad you like it ! best of luck.
February 4, 2013 at 3:54PM   
makiki
Hbmiller - our style is actually more contemporary but we'd like to add some (live edge and other) wood elements since our home is in a very earthy-woodsy-treed setting. if we go with the stacked stones we're probably going to tile the bench with a grey slate or tile and use the cubbies below for storage boxes (games, wood lighting supplies, etc.). The white book case would only be on the right hand side, above the wood box.
February 4, 2013 at 4:01PM