powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need a solution for these weird windows!
ciao44
February 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Our house came with an "enclosed patio," complete with AC/heat, so it's just another room - which we've turned into a sun room. However, there are outdoor slider windows which go from the great room into the sun room. We have considered and eliminated numerous fixes, such as: removing the glass and keeping the holes there (but then house sounds travel into our master, too loud); removing that wall and making the great room one big space (but we love having the special sun room separate); filing in the windows and just having a wall instead (but the windows provide much needed light and we like being able to see into the back yard).
We are also planning to put a corner fireplace to the left of the windows (in the first pic, where the bookcase is now), with floor to ceiling stacked stone to match our walls outside. Furniture is from our old house and will eventually be replaced.
I think just having window treatments would look weird, and am open to architectural fixes.
Ideas?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ciao44
Here are some more images, it's my first time posting on here, not sure what people need to see. And we will be putting a bar where the "experimental" bar stools are. Thank you ahead of time for any and all feedback!
February 3, 2013 at 2:14PM   
katietierno
I'm working is project for my windows too. Instead of doing curtains, I'm doing a valance that starts at the ceiling and ends about6 inches past where my blinds start. Keeps the illusion of large windows and the ease of non functional valances. Search Window Treatments on houzz for some good ideas if you like this one! Good luck!
February 3, 2013 at 2:20PM     
katietierno
Like this...
February 3, 2013 at 2:22PM   
PRO
JP Warren Interiors
Have you considered a centered archway with double french doors? Think - what should be there? Definitely not windows. I also am not convinced of the corner fireplace plan.
February 3, 2013 at 2:24PM     
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Opening up the space but leaving enough wall for the fireplace...how about cutting the interior window openings down to the floor and making doorways? Or alternatively, framing in on both left and right and deleting the center for one larger opening?
February 3, 2013 at 2:26PM   
PRO
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
I see you have shutters in an adjoining room. How about installing these on your three openings?
Then consider floating your seating group in front of these. Center the FP between the bookcases.
Move the DR furniture up closer to the front door so it is centered (more or less) to the alcove. Hang the round mirror over the FP and shelve the alcove with cabinets below if you need storage. You can line the alcove with a lighter paint and, or, add an overhead light. Last, remove the chandalier and relocate the electrical box to be above the table. Use a new rectangular chandalier with some clear glass drops to bounce the light around the room.
My final two cents.......................One of the rugs needs to make an exit!
February 3, 2013 at 2:29PM     
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Of course, then what to do about the floors?
February 3, 2013 at 2:30PM   
Patricia Pelgrims
One of the first things I would do is make French doors where the middle window is, if not from all 3.
February 3, 2013 at 2:34PM     
lessismoore
French door in center (into sun room) and then covert the others into "transom" style windows. You keep all the light, or 95% of it and it could look spectacular. Or all transoms if the door/arch doesn't work
February 3, 2013 at 2:47PM     
ciao44
Thank you so much - so many ideas while keeping the light and the view! I'll probably be back when I need to choose new furniture then too! Thank you!
February 3, 2013 at 3:47PM