Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Bedroom Color Combination
r38016
February 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Specifically, I'm going to paint the night stand and dresser. We bought the house with the wall color as is, and for now, are not going to paint it. I feel like I can make it work if I make a few other changes. The bedspread is new and staying. I have a fabric headboard that Im going to re-fabric so that's part of the question - would the design of the pillow cases work as a headboard? I have an old duvet cover that I was hoping to use since the blue matches the wall perfectly. Too much? Also, what color should I paint the furniture? I was thinking a light grey? What about window treatments - colors, style?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
AMN
I'm confused about the duvet cover vs. bedspread. You said the bedspread is staying but then you talk about a duvet cover. You're saying you might put the duvet cover over the striped bedspread?

The pillow fabric does not work with the yellow stripes. I can't comment on how it works with the duvet cover, as there is no photo. I also can't comment on whether it will work with the room since you say it is the same color. I need to see it. Does it have any texture or anything?

A very light, ethereal gray on the furniture might look nice--as long as the shade plays nicely with the wall color. It should be in the same family.

The room will look better accessorized -- especially when you get lamps in there. Be sure to put ample effort, time, and a portion of the budget toward great lighting. http://www.hgtv.com/bedrooms/light-it-up-12-illuminating-ideas-for-the-bedroom/pictures/index.html

Some inspiration.

Ignore the lamp in this pic. Eclectic Bedroom

Warren Residence

Black and White

Vancover Home

Modern Craftsman - Dallas, TX

Custom Millwork
February 3, 2013 at 4:40PM     
saladsue
I would put the headboard in place & drape the "old"duvet over it to get a sense of how it would look finished. The pattern is quite small next tothe yellow stripes but I really like how it works with the wall colour. I wonder if white & yellow pillows in front of the finished project might make it all work together.
I would not paint the furniture but a couple of lovely lamps, as previously mentioned would look great.
Would the black dresser fit on the wall beside the window?
You would have to play with the TV placement a bit then look for some nice art.
I love the paint colour.
February 3, 2013 at 5:04PM     
r38016
Sorry, I wasn't clear. The pillow cases are the same design as the old duvet cover which I am considering using as the fabric for the headboard. The yellow and white stripes is the new cover and is staying. Hope that clarifies!
February 3, 2013 at 5:55PM   
oneofeleven
Here is an example of a bedroom using your shade of gray and yellow http://www.houzz.com/photos/bedroom/yellow-spreads-/p/8
February 3, 2013 at 5:57PM     
pitbulls
Black shiny paint for the nightstand and dresser?
February 3, 2013 at 5:58PM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
If your painting those nightstands high gloss black would be great.
February 3, 2013 at 6:02PM     
r38016
I'm wondering if its hard to tell in the pic - the wall color is not grey. It's a bluish-purple. Almost like a very deep periwinkle.
February 3, 2013 at 6:12PM   
PRO
Zajac Interiors, LLC
Hi Design Dilemma. I like the color combinations. You could use your older duvet cover as fabric to recover the head board. Then look into some decorative pillows that have those colors (yellow, periwinkle, grey, even dark blue) to help bring it all together. If you have some of those colors on the bed you will be able to use them else where in the room such as in accessories. Target even has some great looking pillow that would coordinate with the colors you are considering. Regarding refinishing the furniture, I would think a white because the walls are dark. This way, anything you place on them will also POP.
February 3, 2013 at 6:27PM     
Danielle B
The print on your pillows is too small for the headboard. Zajac interiors has provided wonderful examples of patterns that have the right scale for your headboard. I love the colours you have. The dresser and night stand could be painted white or black. Either way, it's going to look great! Some large scale black & white photography would really work well in your room.
February 3, 2013 at 7:01PM     
Sharon
I agree with Danielle B. I 'm leaning towards white furniture and some silver accents, photo frames, lamps, mirror. The scale of the pillow print is out of whack alongside the print of the duvet cover. Black & white photos would look great on a large scale. Good luck!
February 4, 2013 at 12:29AM     
More Discussions
Need an eye catching mantle
This will be the centerpiece of our house We are...
Drape-gate
Due to a Houzz issue and amount of comments on the...
Need help with newly remodeled bathroom
Hello Houzz fans! We recently remodeled a guest/kids...
What color for LR/DR walls?
I've done so much painting, re painting and decorating...
seashell backsplash
Has anyone seen [ or made ] a backsplash using real...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.