Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
orangecamera's living room before, during and after
orangecamera
February 3, 2013 in Before & After
Here are the before, during and after pictures of my living room.

The before picture shows the previous owner's yellow (and stained) walls with blue carpet.

The during picture shows my new floor (birch laminate) and freshly painted walls (SW6660, Honey Blush).

The after picture shows my furniture, window treatments, plant and accessories. I'll probably repaint or replace the lamp on the table, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with how it looks so far.

Comments?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
orangecamera
I forgot to mention that the coffee table and end table will be refinished once the weather warms up. They're recent acquisitions.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 5:54PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
You need to do a little rearranging of the furniture. The chair would be better in the corner from the perspective of the photo. Without more pictures it would be hard to say exactly where everything needs to be. But as of now it seems like an odd arrangement.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 5:58PM
chickinvic
Furniture arrangement aside, I love what you've done here. I really like the window treatments (and I don't usually like curtains too much). Great job so far, and a vast improvement from the ugly color and carpet that was there.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 6:20PM
orangecamera
Thanks for comments. Here are a few more pictures. The living room is actually 1/2 of the 'great room' which includes the dining room.

These pictures are:
1) taken from the corner where the plant is
2) also taken from the corner with the plant, but more to the right
3) the tv on a cabinet, to the right of the sliding doors

I'm open to rearranging so please give suggestions. I want to leave the sofa and tv where they are. There needs to be access to the slider (it's the right side that opens, so moving the chair into the corner is a possibility.

Interiors International, do you think I should swap the chair and the plant? Or something else?
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 6:34PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
You might consider placing the leather chair at the opposite end of the sofa. Then put the chair and ottoman in it's place. A round end table between them and the sofa would work nicely. This would give each seat a view of the TV. If I am reading the room correctly.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 7:55PM
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Oh soooooo much better! Blue carpet ! Funny how things are in one minute and then they are "OUT!"
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 2:10PM
orangecamera
Well, I don't have a particular hate of blue carpet, but this stuff was filthy and stinky. The prior owner was a heavy smoker who never (and I mean never in 20 years) opened a window. And she had cats who apparently didn't always make it to the litter box on time.

My personal preference is for hard floors and area rugs, so that's what I have now. The small area rug in the pictures is actually from my former home. My darling kitty was whining because her feet were cold, so I put it down to make her more comfortable. I'm still looking for the "right" area rug for my whole living room.

I"m still thinking about rearranging the furniture a bit. I kind of like how it is now, but I don't doubt it can benefit from a tweak here and there. My biggest projects once the weather warms up will be to refinish the coffee table and end tables. They have brass handles, and today I experimented with cleaning one of them with a mixture of lemon juice and salt. It worked pretty well.
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 5:30PM
olldroo
Looks like kitty approves of the room.

I would be inclined to swap your single chairs over, the one with the ottoman just doesn't look like it quite belongs. Lot depends on how you use your room though and you have certainly made a huge difference to it. I love your curtains, took me a while to work out what the "sticks" were before I realised it was the pattern on the curtains.

Thanks for posting the photos, it does take a lot of time to pull things together, but I think half the fun is having a work in progress.
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 3:06PM
orangecamera
Thanks olldroo. I've been so busy, and will be out of town for a few weeks. When I return, I'll be decorating and rearranging with a vengeance! I do enjoy "the process".
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 4:01PM
olldroo
Just remember my motto, I have to keep reminding myself too, "Rome wasn't built in a day".
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 5:08PM
apple_pie_order
Beautiful choice of colors and finishes. I thought it was a different room entirely.
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 7:04PM
orangecamera
UPDATE! I finally got my area rug. I decided to go for bold.

The chair in the foreground is a recliner, and directly behind it is the opening to the bedroom hallway. This is really the only place I can put it and still let it recline. The far side of the sofa has an end table. To give a little perspective on the size of things, the rug is 9' x 12'.

Other changes besides the rug: Curtains are now white, and the sheers are white with twigs (same style as the brown ones, but a different color). Also I've added a turquoise pillow to the chair. I'll be re-covering the seats of my dining chairs (in the other part of this same room) with the same color. I've moved some lamps and accessories around too.

What do you think?
4 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 12:40PM
decoenthusiaste
A nice light look for spring an summer. Looks like an orange push-up! Remember those?
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 4:59PM
orangecamera
Wow, yes I do remember orange push-ups. It's been a while!
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 7:27PM
olldroo
Wow, orangecamera, you've done well and the room seems so much bigger too. Love the rug. It's funny but normally I would have felt that a hot room for summer but it looks really fresh, probably the white curtains and ceiling - I always believe in lots of white with colour.
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 11:22PM
armygirl1987
Yes, love the curtains and paint color.
0 Likes   April 12, 2013 at 1:06PM
orangecamera
Thanks ladies. I feel like it's all really coming together now. I'm going to spend the spring and summer looking for more chairs, and some art for the walls. Still deciding what I really want. I guess I'll know it when I see it. I want only things that have meaning to me, so it might take a long time. I'm really enjoying the process.
0 Likes   April 12, 2013 at 8:48PM
studio10001
I enjoyed this after pic the first time I saw it, like it even better now I see the before shots -kudos!
0 Likes   April 12, 2013 at 8:58PM
olldroo
Sadly, orange, art is something you just have to 'find' when you least expect it. You will know the minute you see it. Happy hunting.
0 Likes   April 12, 2013 at 9:04PM
orangecamera
My mom gave me a great compliment today, after seeing the rug in place. She said "I always go for boring, but you went for "wow!" and it really works" I'm decorating my home for me (me, me!) but it's always nice when someone else, especially someone as dear to me as my mom, likes what I've done.

One thing I like about this house is all the windows, my old place was pretty dark. The living room is in the back and gets morning sun, and cools off as the sun makes its way to the front of the house. Behind the sliding doors (next to the TV) is a covered porch, so that also keeps it a bit cooler while still letting in light.
3 Likes   April 13, 2013 at 1:24PM
nasmijati
You did an amazing transformation of this room.

This summer, have fun going to every arts and crafts fair "just to look around." This attitude takes any stress of "having to find some art" away from the outing. When you see art that is for you, you will know it!

Best wishes.
2 Likes   April 15, 2013 at 7:52AM
orangecamera
eztia, you are exactly right. I "browse" etsy a few times a week!
0 Likes   April 15, 2013 at 1:08PM
Doreen Hedtke
So, did you find your art?
0 Likes   May 30, 2014 at 2:50AM
flyr4fun
I love the last picture where you show the orange rug and white curtains. Looks a whole lot better. As you are developing the room, a reminder to incorporate vertical scale as well. I would like to see a tall slender tree that almost touches the ceiling in the corner behind the recliner and a taller lamp on the table. I think the TV would look better wall mounted rather than sitting on a cabinet that is too narrow for it. It's looking soooo much better, keep experimenting until you find the perfect balance for you!
0 Likes   May 30, 2014 at 11:44AM
Nancy Travisinteriors
I agree with rearranging furn. A round coffee table or two garden stools instead of one you have would work better too. Never put a small area rug, like that. a big 8 x10 rug with a design. Room is devoid of character. Lamp is fine. Paint end table a bright color. Is there a dark brown panels in center of window? If so remove. Just panels on ends. If you want more privacy, add dark brown bamboo shades. Lowes or Home Depot carries. You are on your way, just a few things to do.
0 Likes   May 31, 2014 at 10:01AM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Remove floor lamp it's not suppose to go behind a table . Add tall lamp to that table, with a orange base and white shade. Ck TJMax for art work over sofa hang 7" from top of back. Big 40x40" Could go a sunburst mirror 45". TV needs to go on low long media. Ikea or target, Walmart. All sell great price. No need for table by opening. Hard to see what pass that. So can't suggest what else to put there. better to leave bare if in doubt.
0 Likes   May 31, 2014 at 10:06AM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Put a really long media for TV . Remove bookcase or move to wall where you have small table, center. Add accent color vases, pots etc. orange works. Or shades like that try print pillows on sofa and chairs.
0 Likes   May 31, 2014 at 10:08AM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Sorry never read all post. So see you have done a great job in pulling this room together. Love the orange rug. So happy to see you are not afraid of color. The room is great with nice media for TV. People usually try to put to much in a room less is better. Just because you moved furn from old house. Doesn't mean it will work in new place. As you have found out.
0 Likes   May 31, 2014 at 10:13AM