Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Paint kitchen cabinets?
fitzie4321
February 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Another paint question- I'm considering painting our kitchen cabinets since we had our floors redone to an ebony/Jacobean color. Im not liking the cabinet color next to the floors. Would you paint them creamy- white? Small kitchen or I would consider black. Or leave them as is? Thanks.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
jbluc
Definitely paint them cream! I think it will brighten the look of the kitchen, and go well with your beautiful new floors. Also, just a thought..... Between looking at the color of your granite, and lighting (which on my monitor looks like an oil rubbed bronze color)? I would consider changing your cabinet hardware to oil rubbed bronze also. It will look gorgeous against the new cabinet color!
February 3, 2013 at 6:39pm     
ljstohs
If your going to paint your cabinets hire a professional.
February 3, 2013 at 6:40pm   
kate718
I love the creamy white idea. Go for it!
February 3, 2013 at 6:42pm   
fitzie4321
will definitely hire a professional...are kitchens typically semi-gloss?
February 3, 2013 at 6:47pm   
dawnmarilynn
Yes, I agree; cream would look great!! You have a good eye for this!
February 3, 2013 at 6:51pm   
jbluc
You need a finish that you can clean easily. I've used a glaze over cabinets and that worked well, but ask your painter what the best finish would be. I think eggshell or semi-gloss would definitely work well.
February 3, 2013 at 6:55pm   
mandylou33
White, white, white! Match the beadboard on the back of the raised counter. Satin finish. Gloss shows every imperfection / fingerprint.
February 3, 2013 at 7:28pm   
chickinvic
I like the current color, but I think cream would work too. I wouldn't go white.
February 3, 2013 at 7:40pm   
epatjn
I wouldn't Paint them. They are too new.
February 3, 2013 at 7:52pm   
Lori_Tartaglia Volpatti
With your counter tops and floor I think that cream cabinets and dark hardware would look really nice.
February 3, 2013 at 7:53pm     
Kj Gemmill
Your kitchen is so pretty as is I don't know why you want to paint the cabinets. But as they say, life's too short to live with stuff you don't love. Have you read the pros and cons on this thread? http://www.houzz.com/discussions/200954. It's a very long discussion that includes a lot of things to think about when you paint cabinets. Hopefully it will help you.

By the way, do you need that large rug in your kitchen? I think you will see more contrast between your current cabinets and your new floor if you ditch the rug. Maybe some smaller ones in front of the sink and fridge. That's what we did. I didn't spend tons of money for my beautiful wood floor just to hide it with a rug ;) If you try that you may decide you like your cabinets after all and that will save you a bit of money too!
February 3, 2013 at 8:15pm   
mamachers
I love your kitchen. Keep it as it is.
February 3, 2013 at 10:39pm   
nellie17
We struggled with this issue. Our wood floor is lighter than yours and our counter tops are black granite. Our cabinets were an out dated maple finish.
White was too stark, so we chose Muralo Colonial Cream with a very subtle tan glaze. They turned out beautiful! We hired a professional painter to do this as well. We also added new hardward in dark bronze.
Another thing to think about is this: We ordered 2 cabinet doors with etched glass fronts to add a nice contrast to all of the wood going on. What a difference!
Good luck!
February 4, 2013 at 8:07am     
nellie17
Me again! I think we have a similar backsplash tile. The cream cabinets would look very pretty with this as well.
February 4, 2013 at 8:10am     
PRO
Chameleon Power
I like the cabinets as they are. Perhaps as other folks have suggested on this page you could create a very colorful backsplash to punch things up a bit. If you would like, you can design your own backsplash using a free online tool at http://crossville.chameleonpower.com/backsplashbuilder/
February 4, 2013 at 8:16am   
PRO
Alina Druga Interiors
I like the cabinets as they are, but I think that a creamy white would look fresher, so yes, I would paint them. But definitely agree with the comment made previously to loose the rug, it just doesn't work. Good luck!
February 4, 2013 at 8:18am   
juliefitz
smaller rug? just in front of the sink maybe? would you stay neutral or throw in a pop of color?
February 4, 2013 at 8:21am   
DIAspoton
have the cabinets painted a creamy white with a pewter or walnut glaze. look at crystal cabinets for finish ideas. install hidden under cabinet lighting.i agree with nellie on the glass fronts.
putting a tile cap along the edge between the cabinet and sink would be a nice finishing detail.
lose the rug.
February 4, 2013 at 8:57am   
More Discussions
80's ranch needs update
What color would you suggest for the clap board ?The...
Should I replace the cabinets?
I bought a house from the 60s. Wallpaper, shag carpet,...
Living Room Arrangement help!
We moved into our house about a month ago and I just...
Exterior Color Beach House
This is a new home in Florida and the exterior colors...
Looking for hardwood floors
We have an old renovated farmhouse and we want to take...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.