powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with color for my Master Bedroom?
Lynn Babin Fontaine
February 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I bought a new bedroom ensemble which is taupe in color ,I have brown accents in the room ,I am having trouble finding a color for my walls. Should I go dark or light ? Please any suggestions would be helpful,Thank You.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lynn Babin Fontaine
Also the window in the right hand corner is being taken out and filled in and the drapries on the other window are the same color has the comforter it just doesn't show that in this picture.
My walls are a pinkish beige color now.
February 3, 2013 at 7:43PM     
lovelylornahamilton
Does your bedroom have any natural light coming in? Maybe getting a really trendy textured wall paper for an accent wall and painting the rest in a tranquil slate blue-grey to match the new bedding?
February 3, 2013 at 7:44PM     
Lynn Babin Fontaine
Yes it does have natural light alot, I have a big window in it. I'm trying to picture the slate blue- grey and I just can't see it ,sorry,the comforter is more on the brown side than blue.Any other suggestions or can you post a sample of the color your suggesting?
February 3, 2013 at 7:52PM   
simone90
Hi Lynn, I also like the idea of slate gray on the walls, or some shade of gray.. I've added a few pics for examples.. These showed up when typed in slate grey into google.. The other picture gives an idea of the brown and blue/grey together.
February 3, 2013 at 8:35PM     
Jennifer Hogan
The only real "Don't" with taupe is yellow.
One of my favorite combinations is taupe and Devine Almond. (See color below)

February 3, 2013 at 9:00PM   
sherrillmills
Sage green is the absolute best....have been thru so many colors and finally found what works. It's so restful and everyone loves it! I got it at restoration hardware but can't remember the name. I will never change again...you'll love it. I have lovely mahogany furniture, cream spread. The problem is that I want to stay in my room all day!
February 3, 2013 at 9:36PM   
Jennifer Hogan
Here is your room sampled in Devine Almond, Devine Date, Devine Fog and Devine Olive. To me the true blue green of Almond complements the Taupe better than bluer or greener tones.
February 3, 2013 at 9:50PM        Thanked by Lynn Babin Fontaine
Lynn Babin Fontaine
Thank you so much Jennifer Hogan ! I can now see how beautiful my room is going to look in one of these colors! I am torn between the first and last one though. May need a vote . Not sure which one.
February 3, 2013 at 10:37PM   
Beverley Cole
I like the first picture, very serene with this colour..
For a rich look you could consider red or red and black for something different!
February 3, 2013 at 10:45PM     
diyjames
Jennifer, what software did you use to superimpose the color? It's done well.
February 3, 2013 at 10:49PM   
Jennifer Hogan
Other ideas may be something like Devine Bavarian or Devine Cabernet
February 3, 2013 at 10:59PM   
Jennifer Hogan
February 3, 2013 at 11:01PM   
Lynn Babin Fontaine
I am leaning towards Devine Almond, but we can't get that brand here where I live( I'm assuming Devine is the brand name) I can get Pittsburg , Sico and Portico. What color in one of these brand name paints would best come close to Devine Almond? Again Thank you, Jennifer.
February 3, 2013 at 11:02PM   
Jennifer Hogan
I am a great fan of the Devine Color Paints. They sell 8x11 sprayed sheets of their colors so you can live with them and feel them in your home without painting splotches on all your walls. They cost $2.29 each.
http://www.devinecolor.com/devine/store/index.html?cid=16581
February 3, 2013 at 11:04PM   
Jennifer Hogan
They sell their paints online. Ordered this paint for my sister's home in Lebanon PA and it was delivered in less than a week.
February 3, 2013 at 11:07PM   
Jennifer Hogan
They also sell paint pouches if you feel the need for a sample larger than 8x11. I don't know about you, but I can't see anything from the little 1x2 paper samples most places give you.
February 3, 2013 at 11:09PM   
Jennifer Hogan
I am not familiar with your local brands - but they should be able to color match from a sample if you are loyal to that brand.
February 3, 2013 at 11:13PM   
Jennifer Hogan
One other note - I know Devine Paints seem expensive, but they use more paint particle in each gallon than something like Behr premium, so even when I painted a deep red over white walls I did it with 2 coats, most other walls I can cover in 1 coat without any bleed through and since it is thicker, I used about 1/3 less paint than I did with Behr.
February 3, 2013 at 11:19PM   
yaya702vegas
Let me say Ms. Hogan is right your bedding with the Bavarian walls and the Cranberry ceiling, would take this room to a new level. Even the lighting stands out with the new colors. Just one extra thing, if you could hang your drapes higher and add a natural grass or wood tone shade hung from the height of the rod in the color of your furniture. Great design makes exceptional rooms.
February 3, 2013 at 11:25PM   
Lynn Babin Fontaine
Yes we do have a dealer that sells Devine paint. It is an hour and a half drive from here but I'm sure it will be worth it ! Thanks again for the help in choosing a paint color! I was going to go with the almond but has my husband pointed out I have alot of sand and sage green colors in my decor and on walls in the rest of the house,nothing blue, so we decided on the Devine olive. Thanks again!
February 4, 2013 at 8:01AM   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
why are you going to the expense to take the window out?
February 4, 2013 at 8:03AM   
Jennifer Hogan
Do me a favor and get at least 2 samples before deciding - colors look different in different lighting and when surrounded by different colors. If you are going for the sage color with the taupe order both the Date and the Olive samples. You will be surprised how sage green date looks in the environment.
February 4, 2013 at 8:22AM     
Lynn Babin Fontaine
Gary, we are removing the little window next to the bed because it is right against the other wall and I find it looks off ,unballanced. We just don't like it and don't need it. We have another one that gives plenty of light in the room,and its not that expensive to do, my husband will be doing it so it will save us the cost of labour, and yes my husband can do it he is very good at doing things like that, we have saved plenty in labour by doing things ourselves and they are done right to code,The only thing he won't do is wiring we hire an electrician for that .
February 4, 2013 at 9:35AM   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
good deal just wondered
February 4, 2013 at 9:37AM     
janishill
The walls will be lovely painted Sienna Laurel by BM: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/siennalaurel

The thing that jumps out at me are your lamp shades. They would be lovely in brown.
February 4, 2013 at 9:45AM     
Lynn Babin Fontaine
Thank you all for your help in helping me find a wall color for my Master bedroom. I appreciate all your comments and input and I will take them all into consideration.
February 4, 2013 at 5:54PM   
Maureen Randall
You could take the comforter to Lowe's or Home Depot and have it colored matched. If you can afford it, how about adding a chair rail and doing the lower half in a cream and the upper half in your matched color. I think that would look stunning in your bedroom!
February 7, 2013 at 4:13PM     
anitajoyce
Paint the room in one of the nice blue colors for sure!
February 7, 2013 at 4:25PM        Thanked by Lynn Babin Fontaine