Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Please help me decorate/accessories my family room
maria
February 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello there!
We just painted our living/ family room and in need of help to make it look more sophisticated and stylish.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Fabrics & More
How about a more modern coffee table and surely a lower one? Also perhaps some color on your curtains with a bit more pleating to give some fullness and richness? see pic for an idea.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 10:33PM
maria
Thank you for your comment!!!Table will be gone. It's there temporary. Curtains will go too. What color , do you think I should choose as pop color?(curtains, pillows ,rug?)
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 10:38PM
PRO
Fabrics & More
Is your wall greenish? I cant tell from the pic. That will define the color I suggest
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 10:44PM
maria
Color is BM: river reflection. It's more grey then green, I think
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 10:47PM
PRO
Fabrics & More
in that case there is two ways to go. for a more contemporary feel dare for some anthracite (silver) taffeta, or for a more classic contemporary look, you can remain on more neutral tones but with rich pleating, see second pic. Rugs and pillows can complement the entire scene with some color such as toffee or purple or even these two combined.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 10:57PM
maria
Thank you very much! I like the first pic more. More drama . Thanks again
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 10:59PM
maria
Also if you have any thoughts on the lamps. Almost all our furniture , including lamps,is from our old place. ( only couch and tv stand is new) so this is why styles are so different. We are trying to replace old with new - more fun furniture.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 11:03PM
PRO
Fabrics & More
Maybe dare for some stainless steel floor lamps which you can turn and adjust to focus on the wall(if you plan for some art ). Perhaps also a more quirky chandelier to avoid the rustic country look with the iron one showing on the pic. Avoid crystal and iron altogether on your choice of lights. There is nothing wrong mixing the old with the new. Just to ensure it's done in a refreshing way. Old items can be altered in color, or re-upholstered, or even modified altogether into something totally new.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 11:13PM
maria
Thank you
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 11:17PM
PRO
XCLUSIVE INTERIORS
Hi Alissak,
your TV/unit should go on the full wallside and the sofa should be placed opposite to TV with 3 or 2 seater side of sofa along the wallside where you have placed TV right now.center table in the center with a rug. for the dining go for a rectangular dining table instead of round.
cheers-Vidya Rao.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 11:57PM
maria
Hi, Vidhia!

Unfortunately wall, where TV is only 72", sofa will not fit. There is 2 adults, 2 kids, dog and the cat. We won't fit on the live seat, thank you for your comment , though,
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 10:12AM
misecretary
If you are keepting th TV in location shown, how about mounting it on the wall? The TV stand itself doesn't fit the space. On second thought, if you're like me you'll probably get sick of stepping over the cords to the gaming system. :)

Are the dining area and family room openly connected? Maybe consider switching locations. It looks as if the dining area has 3 walls while the family room has just 2 with an opening to another room. Moving the couch, TV etc to the other end of the room would keep the gaming cords out of the walkway and will cut down on the annoyance of having someone walk in front of TV.
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 7:32AM
inabunker
Seems that the t.v. unit should be placed on the wall. It's a tight space and that would give you some more room.
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 7:55AM