Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help for the floor color
huihui_hwang
February 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'd like to do hardwood flooring for my home. Our house has an open space design for the kitchen and family room. Attached is the model home picture. I have the same cabinet color (maple, not as golden as in the misleading picture though). And I've chosen dark backsplash and counter top. My wall is off-white. To be conservative, I can choose medium-to-light brown flat maple floor. But I want to make home look as spacious as possible. I might have to give up birch or maple natural as my husband does not like that light color. I'm having a dilemma in choosing the floor color now.Would appreciate any ideas very much! By the way, my style is traditional and casual.

Thank you very much in advance!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
FSI Design
you may want to consider a Hickory Natural, it will still be light, but will have more color variation and character. This also makes it a very family friendly choice, and it is still a great traditional look.
1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 12:12AM
PRO
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
I always recommend for items in your home that you will have to live with for a long time, if not forever, that you choose something in the middle. ie, Dark wood floors have beenin for a while, they will eventually go out of style like terrazo tile and light oak floors. Choose something mid range that you can always be happy with and will go with anything in the future. Some of the Carbonized Bamboo floors are beautiful as they are extremely tough.I have been told they are twice as strong as oak, a very hard wood. And they are treated in a way that many look just like any other wood. You would not know it is bamboo. Have used it in very traditional homes.

Mary
1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 12:45AM
huihui_hwang
Thanks so much for both your comments! Well I'm afraid I did not make myself clear. Or maybe I actually made myself misunderstood. :-) When I said "traditional", I was thinking of traditional cabinetry. I also like coastal or nautica living style. Actually I'm not a fan for hichory or bamboo floor. I'm more a maple person. I like uniformity only with some variation in shade. Mirage Maple Sonora or something similar is an example that we like a lot. My concern is brownish color might make the room look smaller. And I have an impression that floor color lighter than the cabinets might create a more cheerful look. I do not like the graining in traditional oak floor. But sometimes white oak creates light shade and looks neutral to me. And the graining is not as strong as traditional oak. I kinda like Garrison collection II grey white wash (see attached). But I'm afraid it's not safe (or wrong!) to choose the cold color that might not go with my existing cabinetry and dark brown backsplash, etc. I'm actually looking for something darker than birch or light brown with little variation or fine texture to create a fresh, cheerful and casual look.
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 11:36AM