powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What to do with that kitchen backsplash?
marie
February 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Please don't mind the mess and chaos as this is the previous owner's stuff. We plan to completely renovate this little kitchen with new cabinetry and appliances with a far more modern&clean look (like Kitchens).

Now, what do we do with the backsplash? As much as possible we'd like to avoid to re-tile. What do you think? Can we just paint over it or will it not really solve this eyesore? Also what do we do lighting-wise?

Thanks in advance for any tips you might have!

Thank you for reporting this. Undo
louiseh
If your putting a new kitchen in. Really, changing the tiles is not a big deal, and would be a massive compromise to the finished look if it wasnt changed.
February 4, 2013 at 2:39am     
PRO
Amplio
Agree, change it. The tile paint never works out well.
February 4, 2013 at 2:44am   
charleee
Rustoleum Transformations has a new transformation product for tile, you could look into that if your really don't want to re-tile. What year was your home built? Before you take any tile down you should always have it tested for lead content, which may be a point in favor of not re-tiling!
February 4, 2013 at 3:08am   
Natalie
Hi---tear out tile and put in the small shimmer tile you posted. Your space is not that big, less than 15 square ft. of backsplash-so you're looking at spending between $300.00-$500.00-including tile, setting materials/grout. Cheap! Rip out the overhead light---add a flushmount ceiling fixture in the center and puck lights around the perimeter. Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!
February 4, 2013 at 3:19am     
marie
Wow thanks all for the comments. It seems I will have to re-do the tiles to have a more uniform look.
This apartment renovation is looking like a bigger project that we thought it would be. Houzz is responsible for having to many great ideas! :-) Excited to get started!
February 4, 2013 at 9:11pm     
PRO
Amplio
God luck!
February 5, 2013 at 12:08am   
PRO
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
Yes, tile rarely lines up with the old and if you need to move plugs or anything its hooped.... tile is the last item to install, so get the main parts done & then pick something that really works with other elements to put your stamp on the place
February 5, 2013 at 12:29am     
marie
Any suggestions of what to do with the fridge? I hate that it sticks out but I wouldn't know where else to place it...
February 5, 2013 at 7:17am   
louiseh
Not all fridges are the same depth. ranging from 700mm to 580mm some of the newer ones (like TV's) are shallower in depth. Failing that, you could have 2 under counter fridges with integrated doors and use the recess that you have the fridge in now as a large larder cupboard.
February 5, 2013 at 7:35am   
0825sam
How deep and wide is the space where the fridge is? From experience, there are two 33 wide 24 inch deep (counter depth so it won't stick out) in existence. Samsung and Fisher & Paykal. We have the latter.
February 5, 2013 at 7:47am     
More Discussions
Your favourite colour combo?
I'm currently into yellow + grey interiors, it's a...
Finish my wall, please help!
We recently changed the color scheme of our living...
cupped hardwood floors
We remodeled our house 3 years ago. We had 3" white...
NEED HELP WITH kITCHEN.
I am remodeling my kitchen. My kitchen combines with...
Are you a big fan of glamping or camping?
I'm not a camping fan at all. I can't stand not knowing...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.