powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Master Bath...need color pop...can't decide window treatment.
iamchickaddd
February 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Our master bath...flooring is tile that looks like planks of white washed wood. The shower/bath surround is tile that looks like slate. The vanity will be Mission-style/cinnamon colored oak...the top will probably be Copper Canyon granite. The fixtures/draw pulls are oil-rubbed bronze. Paint is Nomadic Desert but I'm not lovin' it. It's darker than I wanted...maybe a lighter beige? I definitely need pops of color introduced here and there...anything but green...maybe slate blue (see pic of large bowl)? Or maybe orange? We have 2 large windows and love the openness but need privacy when showering. Also, the one window next to the shower is hard to get to. Has anyone tried those blinds with the remote? I thought of shutters or roman blinds...but thinking maybe just tied back curtains...one pic is of a silk fabric in gold with cinnamon. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
dianahb
I love the tile you've used. It's hard to tell about the walls, since the images are such close-ups-- can't get the overall picture. But it looks like it's really light in there. I can't really tell-- but a rich charcoal gray might be nice on the walls. Benjamin Moore sells an Ashley Gray that is a very warm gray-- and depending on the light-- can look like a rich warm taupe-gray. It's dark, but with a lot of light, and it looks like you have that-- it doesn't really translate as super dark. I have it on my living room walls, with a warm white trim and very old oak floors, which are sort of a warm red at this point-- It's a nice combination. But with this tile, it could be kind of dramatic and really bring out the beauty of the tile and the oak in the vanity.

For the window that's hard to reach, I'd have someone put in privacy glass. That way, you still get the light and don't have to deal with any window covering.
February 4, 2013 at 7:53AM     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
WOW .....so many directions......
February 4, 2013 at 7:54AM   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
with all that is going on the ash gray should help, I would suggest NOT using the granite you suggested as you will have one more wild patterned surface going on if you do! Try a solid colored suface
February 4, 2013 at 7:56AM     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
you might conside taming it down with cabinets that match your trim....the white. Not certain what you are showing to bowl to illustrate? is that a color you like?
February 4, 2013 at 7:57AM   
dianahb
Oh-- yes-- I agree with Gary about the granite top. I missed that comment, so-- yes-- go with something solid.

I realize you said you wanted something light on the walls, but the flooring looks so light, and it seems you have a lot of light coming in from the windows. I really think a dark warm paint color would be beautiful-- but that's just me. Before I painted my own walls in a dark color, I never would have imagined it would look as good as it does. Oddly, it doesn't seem to make things dark, either. In fact, for some reason, it makes everything else in the room (especially wood) really stand out.
February 4, 2013 at 8:03AM   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
darker on the walls to hold it together ....light walls will not support all the color......STOP doing anything until you "GET IT TOGETHER" it doesnt seem to be working as a total room, likely because it was never 100% thought out before you started!
February 4, 2013 at 8:05AM   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
dont order the cabinets if you not yet!
February 4, 2013 at 8:06AM   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
If they are order call ASAP and find if you have time to HOLD OFF on the color....they likely should be a painted (not stained) finish
February 4, 2013 at 8:07AM   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
then with that new foudn information .....move slowly ahead.....you really dont need any more ideas at this time you just need to refine the ideas you have...
February 4, 2013 at 8:08AM   
iamchickaddd
Thanks Diana. I will look at Ashley Gray. There is a lot of light. I'm adding a few overall pictures. Gary, I was worried about that, too. What surface would you recommend? Heidi says, "Hi!"
February 4, 2013 at 8:08AM   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
a slate gray tone, would be something to consider. the walls appear better than I thought with the new images
February 4, 2013 at 8:10AM   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
with all the expense I would have done a larger base and door caseing.... but at this time you really need the cabinets to be the same as the door/trim.......what lead you to the cherry tone?
February 4, 2013 at 8:11AM   
iamchickaddd
Yes, we've already ordered the cabinets and I really like them...the cinnamon tone goes well with the cinnamon color in the slate-look tile and the pictures don't really show but there's a warm tone in the floor tile as well that complements the cabinet. Actually, it's not oak...the wood grain is much more plain and the style is plain, more like prairie-style, it's hard to describe. I am open to toning down the counter top to something solid but not sure if I should go lighter or darker? The picture of the blue bowl was an idea for adding pops of color around the room.
February 4, 2013 at 8:58AM   
iamchickaddd
We didn't do any structural changes...the door is what it is...we are adding nice, white, solid baseboards. The choice of cabinets, it's not cherry, is in line with some of the other features in the house...a MIssion-style front door and other furniture...I like the style.
February 4, 2013 at 9:02AM   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
respectfully stated you already have pops of color in the room, I understand the cabinet color is it likely birch or maple with a redish stain.... The idea of the room working together is hinder by the cabinet being a wood tone ....its the only wood tone in the room and the most solid thing in the room
February 4, 2013 at 9:03AM   
iamchickaddd
The door that's shown is actually to the water closet.
February 4, 2013 at 9:03AM   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
the last thing the room needs is more distractions ...the painted cabinet would be a nice save, if you would check to see if it could be switched to a painted finish.
February 4, 2013 at 9:04AM   
iamchickaddd
Yes, I think it's birch.
February 4, 2013 at 9:05AM   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
as for color.....non color is what I would suggest. Use white for towels, and rugs.... lets try to tame this space while keeping it interesting. I tile is so colorful nothing will be able to contrast well so lets play up the tile and let it be the most interesting thing in the space..
February 4, 2013 at 9:06AM   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
is not the door to the bath also white as with the toilet closet
February 4, 2013 at 9:07AM   
iamchickaddd
There isn't a door to the bathroom...there's an archway from the master bedroom...we thought of adding a wall/door but didn't want to close it up. After the archway...there's a walk-in closet on the left side, on the right is the long wall which will start with a dressing table, a storage/armoire, then the vanity.
February 4, 2013 at 10:03AM   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
First off your bathroom is beautiful!!!! second for the blinds i would definitely stay away from any type of fabric since your windows are directly over the bathtub . I would recommend PVC Shutters they would look great in the space and you don't have to worry about them getting wet .
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/shutters-toronto/pvc-polysatin-shutters.html
February 4, 2013 at 2:34PM   
dianahb
I think the bathroom is really beautiful, too. I do like the color and plank style of the floor, especially. All those windows surrounding the tub-- it looks like maybe one is privacy glass, but not the others? I can't tell-- but I'd make them all privacy glass.

To my mind, the cabinet door (sample wood) that you show in one of those first photos seems to really pull out the warmth that's in the tile. I'm confused as to why Gary thinks that's a bad thing. To my eye, the tile is a little "cool," and what warmth is in there might be brought out by the cabinet. Is that just too many elements competing with each other?

I'm curious, because we're renovating a bath right now, and I am constantly second-guessing myself.
For me, I can't tolerate built-in cabinetry. I love pedestal sinks-- the more modern looking ones. I just think they have a clean streamlined look and really open up a space. Of course, you have to put all your stuff somewhere, but you can probably figure that out with closet space, perhaps, or medicine cabinets, or even free-standing furniture-- which would offer you more freedom of choice. So my vote would be no vanity at all, and install a pedestal sink instead.
February 4, 2013 at 2:58PM   
PRO
Fenstermann LLC
Congrats on your remodel!

We offer a great top-down/bottom-up shade that works really well in Bathrooms/Bedrooms where you need privacy. They bring a very clean look, since they have no headrail, and no strings in the middle of the window. If you want the light, then bring them down a little from the top. No one can see inside, and you get the natural light you need.
Cinnamon, and other reds/browns are available. Whatever you decide to choose, we will have choices that fit your tastes.

I would be happy to ship fabric samples and get you pricing.

Cheers!
February 4, 2013 at 3:40PM   
PRO
Fenstermann LLC
More Fabrics that might work.

Also, we can provide you with an operation stick that makes reaching the windows much easier from a distance. It works well and saves you a few hundred dollars on motorization.
February 4, 2013 at 3:49PM   
iamchickaddd
Thank you blindsdirectcanada...I will definitely look at the PVC shutters. Are they heavy? I'm asking because the windows are 55 inches across and what was there before were hard to get up and down.
February 4, 2013 at 5:28PM   
iamchickaddd
Thank you Diana! That's what I was trying to do...pull in the tiles' warmth with the cabinet. I think Gary took in the slate look tile/the pattern as overwhelming...it isn't in person and when you take in the size of the room. I like it. I'll try to get some better pics.

I like the pedestal sinks, too...but need the space so opted for a custom cabinet...with more of a furniture look...legs, not the kick plate...in the plain prairie-style. Good luck with your remodel.
February 4, 2013 at 5:34PM   
PRO
Fenstermann LLC
Our treatments are stringless up to 60 inches. I actually just worked with a gal from S.C. for her window treatment. I love Houzz!
February 4, 2013 at 5:34PM   
dianahb
Hey lamchickaddd--

Yes, the custom furniture cabinet will look good, where you can see legs and maybe the floor underneath. I do like that. We just pulled out all this built-in cabinetry we had inherited when we moved in-- many years ago, so I knew I was done with that. ;) But what you've done so far looks really appealing to me. I also think you can rarely go wrong with real wood. Post the pictures when you're all done!
February 4, 2013 at 5:47PM     
iamchickaddd
Hi Fenstermann...regarding your top-down/bottom-up shades...can you leave them in either position...all the way or all the way down? How much space does it compact to?
February 4, 2013 at 6:23PM   
iamchickaddd
Both windows are clear (not privacy glass)...they look out over our backyard which we've done with native California plants...and my bird feeders...so I love to look out at at nature and my birds...but there are a couple of distant neighbors so hence the need for privacy.
February 4, 2013 at 6:37PM   
PRO
Fenstermann LLC
The shades run on a tension system. As you can see in the picture below, they will stay in any position you like.

The height of them fully collapsed will be detirmined by the height of the window. For your window it will be approximately 2 1/2".
February 5, 2013 at 9:31AM   
donnag631
I have the blinds with the remote in my bathroom and love them. I have had them for 13 years without a problem (knock wood,) and I measured and installed them myself. However, there is no top down, bottom up feature - it's just bottom up. Still, not having to climb into the tub to raise or lower them is a wonderful feature. BTW, love the shepherd, and I have one of those, too : )
February 5, 2013 at 9:43AM   
PRO
Fenstermann LLC
When ours are motorized, they are also bottom-up. I am happy to hear, that your existing blinds work so well!

A great thing about Houzz, is you will get all different kinds of options. What we do for places that are hard to reach, is we provide you with an operation stick that allows you to control them from a distance. However, most of our customers never operate the blinds. They set them about 3/4 up the window and leave them. With this feature, you get all the light and privacy you will need. It is a little different from what people are used to, but that's why they were made. To be convenient!
February 5, 2013 at 10:00AM   
Linny
I suggent a suttle/bright color to liven up the earthtones from the shower. A Bright sky blue or aqua even. Maybe a suttle yellow for the walls and with blue accents. Try going a beachy theme. :)
February 5, 2013 at 10:05AM     
wmpj
Your bathroom looks beautiful. I think the tile, cabinets, and wall color look great together. If you're looking for pops of color, how about using art work instead? P.S. your dog looks sweet too.
February 5, 2013 at 10:24AM   
iamchickaddd
Thank you Fenstermann! They look great!
February 5, 2013 at 11:38AM   
iamchickaddd
Thank you Linny. I think a sky blue or subtle yellow would look nice as accents. I like the beachy theme idea.
February 5, 2013 at 11:45AM   
iamchickaddd
Thank you wmpj! I do have some wall space for art work. I'll probably wait 'til the cabinets and mirrors and lighting is complete before tackling that. I love my Heidi dog ;-)
February 5, 2013 at 11:47AM   
wmpj
We had a shepherd named Heidi too. She was a great dog. I have a soft spot for them.
February 5, 2013 at 12:10PM     
iamchickaddd
Hi Fenstermann...I sent you an email. I'm interesting in pricing your top-down/bottom-up shades for two windows sized 55x55 and 55x43 in a cinnamon-colored fabric. Thanks, Bonnie
February 5, 2013 at 5:40PM   
iamchickaddd
Thinking of roman shades...is this too dark?
February 7, 2013 at 9:51AM