Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Backsplash ideas?
sgenova85
February 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi! I would really appreciate some ideas on what to do for my backsplash. I have copper above stove. I was thinking something with color? My decor is rustic. I really appreciate the ideas. Thanks!
Sara
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
February 7, 2013 at 2:49pm     
joannpb
You might consider glass tile. You can coordinate it beautifully with your copper backsplash, without feeling a dose of copper poisoning! There's a lot to look at, opn line.
February 7, 2013 at 3:02pm     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I would continue with the material you have over your stove. Keep it simple. I just would not want to add another pattern.
February 7, 2013 at 3:10pm     
PRO
Dytecture
Barbara Griffith Designs posted while I was typing. Similar idea, I would continue with a variation of the copper backsplash that is similar to what is above the stove.

February 7, 2013 at 3:16pm     
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
Very nice kitchen and choice of cabinet wood and finish. Is it at all possible to get three more pieces of the granite you are using for the top/backsplash? If so, I would continue the copper liner that is currently around your cooktop backsplash down and over the 4" granite splash and then mount the granite slab above it. Your cabinets can handle the stature of the vertical slab and it will be visually appealing and easy on the senses. I have to believe three materials will only compete with each other rather than complement the space.
February 7, 2013 at 3:20pm     
Elaine DeGiglio
I agree with Scott Design, Inc., and would add maybe a little more red accents. The red you have is lovely - maybe just a few pops more!
February 7, 2013 at 3:36pm     
Robin Gaddy
If you could locate the same granite, it would be fantastic! We had a similar situation and our kitchen is a lot like yours in layout...nothing ever looked right or it competed...so we just went on a search for the same granite..it took some time but we could not be happier! So simple to clean and accessorize around. :-))
February 7, 2013 at 3:38pm   
Angela Himmer
Use a stainless steel subway tile. I used it in my kitchen as a back splash. I also have stainless steel appliances, which works well with it
February 7, 2013 at 3:38pm     
Kimberley Case
Find a raised pattern wallpaper ( like hammered copper) seal with weldbond and water --- then sponge on copper guild paint... seal with welbond again --- ta daaaa --- hammered copper backsplash that looks like a million ..and costs next to nothing!
February 7, 2013 at 3:43pm     
daa07065
I have almost identical kitchen colors /style and love my tumbled marble that compliments my counter.
February 7, 2013 at 3:44pm     
Susan Soto
http://www.annsacks.com --- the site is a little cubersome - you have to click through alot however you could probably google ann sacks and click on images and find some good ideas. Their stuff is soooo beautiful. Can also plug it into houzz and see what pops up
February 7, 2013 at 3:53pm   
cassandrars
Personally, I'm not a fan of tiled backsplash because I'm a messy cook and hate to clean the grout. With the other design elements you have, single sheets of frosted glass could be very pretty: simple, easy to clean, and just a wee bit of shine. I'd also consider stainless outlet covers.
February 7, 2013 at 3:56pm   
Joe Adams
Can I ask what the dimensions of the kitchen are?
February 7, 2013 at 4:05pm   
PRO
Uppercase Living Independent Demonstrator
LOVE the idea of doing a pattern on the back splash. So popular! The attached is just one of many patterns offered by Uppercase Living. We also have over 50 colors to choose from to complement your kitchen perfectly. http://www.WhenWallsTalk.com
February 7, 2013 at 4:06pm   
Jane Pollard
there is a lot of wood... floors and cabinets... I'd put glass doors on a couple of upper cabinet doors and show off some colorful accessories (oranges or blues) and add these colors to above the cabinets too (the red doesn't pop)... also noticed the glare of the ceiling paint -- obviously semigloss which isn't necessary -- a flat ceiling paint would soften the entire room. I'd do these changes first then see if you need more color or just a neutral pop such as glass tile for your backsplash.
February 7, 2013 at 4:19pm   
sgenova85
The dimensions are 14 x 18, thanks everyone for all the great ideas! I'm torn because everyone's idea was awesome!
February 7, 2013 at 4:19pm   
Carrie Wallace
Personally, I think since the granite has a lot of movement, I'd go with something light and add copper accent tiles.
February 7, 2013 at 4:21pm     
angelyn1320
Your kitchen is gorgeous! Love the cabinets. If you want color, add color! The soft red of your accessories is lovely here. I think it would work in a backsplash too. A muted apple green would be nice as well.
February 7, 2013 at 4:25pm   
Linda Stewart_Ryder
These are "tantrum" glass within glass tiles. They come in a number of colors to use as an accent...then select a subtile background to compliment your counter tops.
February 7, 2013 at 4:27pm     
lctpdc
keep it neutral, the space seems a bit busy.
February 7, 2013 at 4:30pm     
sgenova85
I'm really debating between extending the existing copper or doing mosaic glass tiles???? With reds turquoise and greens??? My theme is western and turquoise and reds are great for western. ???????????
February 7, 2013 at 4:36pm     
jessicabonannodfwrealestate
Brick would keep a rustic feel and look amazing in your kitchen!
February 7, 2013 at 4:38pm   
camsmiles4u
I love the stone backsplashes. My husband and I enjoy our wine. We used a tumble stone with a mural on it. I could see something like this under your wine rack. Love your kitchen :)
February 7, 2013 at 4:47pm   
sgenova85
Attached pic of dining area next to kitchen
February 7, 2013 at 4:49pm   
jessicabonannodfwrealestate
First one shows real brick, personally I think having it on the island too is too much. And the second is a tumbled stone subway tile a faux brick look.
February 7, 2013 at 4:55pm     
PRO
Tee'scapes
a nice rust orange color is the way to go ....it will pop and not overpower the beauty of cabinets......
February 7, 2013 at 4:55pm   
keaba
GLASS!!!!!! Tiles It would look Fabulous!!
February 7, 2013 at 4:59pm   
PRO
MEC Corporation
Your kitchen is gorgeous. To add some more grace to it, i suggest you to put customized marble mosaic backslash. Write to us and we will assist you to convert any design for your backsplash.
February 7, 2013 at 5:08pm   
decogam
subway tiles; inexpensive and you could go black or white. I love mine!
February 7, 2013 at 5:09pm   
Kathlene Duke
I think hammered copper would look fantastic!
February 7, 2013 at 5:31pm   
PRO
Spring Creek Design
Try smooth, polished copper as a textural and color counterpoint that speaks to the heat treated copper tiles behind the stove. Here's how: make 1/2" plywood "backsplashes". Make them 3/16" undersized. Take them to a sheetmetal fabricator, and have them wrapped in copper sheet metal. If desired, you can polish the metal with fine steel wool for a brushed look. Or just leave it smooth. Either way, and this is crucial, carefully clean the metal with mineral spirits to remove all fingerprints and skin oils. Then spray each piece with several coats of clear laquer. This will protect the shine and color of the copper, keeping it bright. You don't want this material to corrode or develop a patina...in this context, it will look like hell. Bright will be much better. Then just glue the copper-wrapped plywood panels to your walls with construction adhesive. This will inject a surprising, unexpected element into your kitchen, while still maintaining the overall vibe you are going for.
February 7, 2013 at 5:37pm     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I agree with Dytecture and Barbara you have a great kitchen with a lot going on already. I would stay with the materials your working with now.
February 7, 2013 at 5:38pm   
Mary Ranghelli
This will grab the colors you have in this lovely kitchen.
February 7, 2013 at 5:40pm     
PRO
Spring Creek Design
here's another pic..didn't attach the first time (oops). Of course, this is a totally dif kitchen, and unfortunately the pics don't really focus on the backsplash...but it came out great and the client loves it. We have done this many times with different metals...copper, stainless, zinc
February 7, 2013 at 5:41pm     
PRO
ITALIAN DECORATIVE ART by Romeo Cuomo
We have a large selection of custom murals, tile and frescos. We can also custom design a mural for you to match yiour colors and personality! Please feel free to contactg us. With offices in Boston,MA and Rome, all of our beautiful art is hand made and hand painted by our artisans in Amalfi. We are at your disposal...sincerely, Romeo & Terri
February 7, 2013 at 5:58pm     
sgenova85
What do you think about these pics, or are they too much???
February 7, 2013 at 7:16pm     
jingstad
I love your kitchen. I would go with a stainless backsplash. There are the wood elements and the granite and brick behind the stove. So, in order to not have too many textures going on, the stainless is kind of a non-intrusive choice. It will cotinue the theme of the stainless appliances and just become part of the room, rather than being a feature. Let the cabinets and granite be the stars.
February 7, 2013 at 7:20pm     
lparides
Glass tile
February 7, 2013 at 7:21pm   
Mary Cousemacker
I would use a mirrored glass splash back. It is neutral and looks stunning with stainless steel appliances. It makes the kitchen look bigger as it gives the perception of space and windows. It would spread the light in the kitchen as well. Good luck. Mary ps sorry about the mess in my kitchen
February 7, 2013 at 7:22pm   
joannpb
You can see hundreds of styles at GlassTileStore.com/GlassTiles. Look in the Brick Pattern section for one called Copper Clay Blend. It looks a lot like your copper backsplash.
February 7, 2013 at 7:37pm     
rex_fxstb
Where did you find the original picture? I cannot seem to borrow this picture into my idea book.
February 7, 2013 at 8:53pm   
PRO
Ruth Ann Chaplik-Secreto
Yes glass with the lighter brown of backsplash of stovetop
February 7, 2013 at 9:21pm   
PRO
dmsgrl2002
I agree with those who suggested using the same material that is above your stove. You have other great strong details so your backsplash doesn't need to be the 'star', it's perfect in a supporting role. You could consider setting it vertically to subtly distinguish it from the stove. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!
February 7, 2013 at 10:16pm   
mrsmacspies
I agrees with the comment for stainless steel. So easy to clean and will mix it up a bit.
February 8, 2013 at 12:18am   
sgenova85
I took pic myself, with iPad. Not sure why u can't add to idea book, sorry no help
February 8, 2013 at 9:50am   
srgerova
We added this copper backsplash ourselves. You buy them at Lowes in sheets that can be glued and come in standard backsplash sizes. It was an easy project. They also come in many different designs and colors but the hammered copper would look great in your kitchen also. It also wipes clean with a damp rag!!
February 8, 2013 at 3:24pm     
Lauren Matthews
I would use the copper, either in a sheet or like you have above the stove.
February 10, 2013 at 5:58pm   
kmetzger27
Try adding a little more color with the back splash. You have little accents of red around so I'd go for a fake brick back splash. Unique and classy with some color.
February 10, 2013 at 6:59pm   
Lynn Clark
Looks like you did a nice job. The darker copper backsplash makes a nice color contrast, srgerova.
February 11, 2013 at 11:23pm     
srgerova
Thank you Lynn Clark! It is hard to see but the cork floor matches the backsplash. We could not be happier with our kitchen. It is easy to clean and very functional.
February 12, 2013 at 6:01am   
bevballew
The backsplash behind your stovetop is gorgeous. I would go with that or the granite you already have. I would be concerned if you added another style as it would make your kitchen very busy. It is very beautiful as it is!. What little I know of interior design I thought a focal point is very important in decorating. I hire interior designers to help me.
February 12, 2013 at 6:26am   
littlemissmama
What brand of cork floor did you use?
February 24, 2013 at 1:07am   
srgerova
I am not sure about the brand but the style and color was called Mediterranean. I ordered it over the Internet from a discount flooring place. You can get it anywhere now.
March 3, 2013 at 5:55am   
bevballew
Many great ideas. To me if you add another look there will be a lack of cohesion. I say stay with copper or similar to the splash above your stove and keep the same throughout or change it to maybe glass tile so they blend but you are changing it up a bit. You add anything else and you confuse the eye.
March 3, 2013 at 7:06am