Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Wide Hall - what to do?
Loula Wilson
February 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We recently purchased a creole cottage in Fairhope, AL. Our front entrance hallway measures 14" by 8". A narrower corridor leads from the hall to family room/kitchen. We have a beautiful stain-glass window over the front door. Just can't figure out how to make the space homier. Any ideas? Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I would place a round table in the middle where the hall opens up to the kitchen and family room. It should be right under the chandelier. You could try this out using your gateleg table that is presently against the wall. A rug, approximately 6 x 9, would help warm up the space.
February 4, 2013 at 8:24AM   
Melanie Venuto
I agree with Carolyn about the rug, and if you prefer to leave the table where it is, just accessorize it. Add a vase with fresh flowers, maybe a decorative frame or another accessory. Gorgeous dog, btw.
February 4, 2013 at 9:04AM   
Rashmi Shrinath
You can add interesting pegs and coat hangers on one side and add a bench with shoe cabinets on the other.
February 4, 2013 at 9:15AM     
Jayme H.
Rugs would help...a lamp on the table you have there already would be inviting.
February 4, 2013 at 9:35AM     
janishill
Though I no longer live in Alabama, Fairhope has always been one of my favorite places on earth. I hope to retire to that area in the near future.

I would find a traditional rug that contains some of the colors from the stained glass as well as reflecting the rectangular shape of the door panels and the windows panes.

Add a lovely, tall cut glass vase filled with greenery or seasonal flowers to your half-moon table or a lamp, a short stack of books and a small interesting decorative item.

Then I would add short urns with topiaries on both sides of the door.

To the right of the door I would add a large mirror to reflect the light (and to peek in before answering the door) and to the left I would put that collection of small mirrors you have across from the table.

On the wall where the mirrors are now I would hang 3 prints in identical frames vertically about 2" apart. Or an entire series from the top to the bottom of the wall.

Painting the ceiling in high gloss paint will increase it's reflective qualities and make the space feel more welcoming.

Hope to see updates!
February 4, 2013 at 9:38AM   
PRO
The Look Interiors, Inc.
Loula, Please double check your measurement. The hall appears to be 6' wide to me. As stated above, a rug in colors that work with your beautiful stain glass transom will look great. I'd look for a wide runner that is 9 to 10 feet in length. I would definitely paint the hallway in a deeper tone. It will feel richer, more elegant and welcoming. Be sure the color works well with surrounding rooms, the rug and the stained glass window. I would replace the legged table with a cabinet, no deeper than the wall alongside it (not including trim and approximately the same width as your existing table). I'd hang a large mirror over the cabinet (slightly less width than cabinet) and add a buffet lamp and some greenery on top of the cabinet. A cabinet, rather than a legged table, will give more visual weight and interest to the hallway. You could add decorative wall hangings on either side of the entry door. Something like the attached would work, but subject to your taste and the style of your home, of course. Good luck and look forward to seeing your finished project.
February 4, 2013 at 11:01AM   
Loula Wilson
Thank you! You were correct... It's about 6' 6" wide. Great ideas!
February 6, 2013 at 8:18AM     
Loula Wilson
Thank you. Found a pretty rug yesterday that I am trying. Thoings are looking better already! Am looking for a lamp too. Simple solutions!
February 6, 2013 at 8:21AM     
Loula Wilson
Thank you also!
February 6, 2013 at 8:22AM   
Loula Wilson
Very creative ideas! Thanks.
February 6, 2013 at 8:23AM   
Loula Wilson
Marlyn is a cutie and 13! Thanks
February 6, 2013 at 8:24AM   
Loula Wilson
Will try the round table! Thank you.
February 6, 2013 at 8:25AM   
yfuoco
I would put matching demi-lune tables at the front entrance with mirrors above, Further down the hall , where the table is now I would add a bench (you could add a matching bench on the other side) with a group of artwork above.
February 6, 2013 at 1:43PM   
PRO
The Look Interiors, Inc.
Loula, from a designer's perspective, a 6'6" wide hallway is too narrow to accommodate any size table placed in the center. Be careful placing furniture pieces near the door, especially to the side where the door swings open, so guests can enter and exit easily. You want the hallway to feel warm and welcoming, but not crowded, so it still feels like a "grand" entrance. The rug will really help with this. Many of the excellent suggestions have been made based on the assumption that you have 8' width.
February 6, 2013 at 2:09PM     
janishill
I based my suggestions on it being a narrower hallway; hence no table in the middle and topiaries on either side of the door.

Hope you will post updates.
February 6, 2013 at 3:42PM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
A center rug with matched mirrored demi-lune console tables on each wall. above those a pair if Venetian mirrors. Add assorted candles, boxes and flowers to the tables and voila you have a grand entrance.
February 6, 2013 at 4:15PM   
More Discussions
arch or no arch?
sorry i forgot to load the picture so here it is
Porcelain vs luxury vinyl
I'm trying to decide between installing porcelain tile...
Need help deciding to paint my cabinets
I'm having trouble deciding to paint cabinets I like...
Need help with loft area in large living room!
I want to get ideas on how to decorate loft area and...
furniture arranging in living room help!
I moved into this apartment in November, and I've tried...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.