Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What colour of countertop?
loridben
February 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I want to change the countertops in my kitchen...so tired of the dated hunter green! I'm not planning on changing the cabinets. Will be getting new flooring and stainless steel appliances. Should I go with a lighter or darker counter? Am planning on Cambria quartz....thinking about Laneshaw, Hollinsbrook, or possible Canterbury.
Would love any suggestions!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
collettec
What type of new flooring are you getting?
February 4, 2013 at 11:17am   
loridben
Not likely ceramic tile, but something resembling tile...Dura ceramic or high quality vinyl with tile pattern.
February 4, 2013 at 11:23am   
collettec
Not sure what color you'll be going with with the flooring, but with the large amount of wood, it makes the room a bit darker, and the new steel appliances won't be as bright as the white. For that reason, I would consider going with a lighter color countertop and perhaps lighter color flooring as well. I would also consider removing the wooden valance over the window which dates the space. You could replace it with a roman shade in a lighter color, perhaps a colorful print to brighten up that area.
February 4, 2013 at 11:44am     
loridben
Thank you! I do agree that I need to be careful with the changes I make, so that it doesn't get too dark. Thanks for the tip on the valance....I've thought of that before too.
February 4, 2013 at 12:06pm     
PRO
Alfieri Design
Prefab stone slabs...in a neutral or your favorite color....just a few hundred more than the usual countertops, and adds super home value. Microwave hood and new fridge depending ont he budget and your likes and dislikes.
February 4, 2013 at 12:14pm     
Arlen Dau
While you are thinking about a new countertop - would you consider replacing the over-range vent with a micro-wave combo? Looks like a large percentage of your useable counter top is taken. If you could relocate the microwave and pull the drawer it sits on it will open some needed space. The coffee maker could also be replaced with a below cabinet mount design. And, though this would be considerably more complicated, maybe the corner garage could come out too. I know this doesn't answer your color of counter top, which I would probably suggest white marble, but since the expense is considerable, it's also a good time to reassign some working area. Side note: regretfully, you will most likely need to shorten the cabinet above the refrigerator. Refrigerators have gotten taller in the past few years and there is very little rom above yours. Go shopping and check out the "new" height.
February 4, 2013 at 12:14pm   
loridben
We are definitely considering an over the range microwave. Will need the cupboard above the stove shortened...waiting on the estimate at this very moment. Looking forward to a little more counter space between the refrigerator and stove. Have already found out how restricted we will be with a new refrigerator....so prepared to shortened that cupboard above it as well. Removing the appliance garage isn't possible due to the way the cabinets were constructed...but it does provide a large 'hiding space'!
February 4, 2013 at 3:00pm   
PRO
Alfieri Design
Good luck! Hope the bids are reasonable...
February 4, 2013 at 4:19pm   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.