Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Front porch ideas
luisdelgado
February 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello everybody, I'm thinking of remodeling my front porch. Any ideas I could use?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mmilos
Can you post a picture of the entire front of the house? Then tell us your budget, what you like/don't like, and what look you're trying to achieve. It'll help users come up with ideas.
3 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 11:53AM
PRO
Dytecture
Agreed, you'll need to provide more details and photos in order to narrow down the infinite number of options that are possible.
2 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 12:24PM
arlys baker
Yep a full photo if possible
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 2:59AM
Marilyn Wilkie
maurice54, you are spamming this thread. Go away.
2 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 3:26AM
masticola
Yeh go away maurice54, what in the world is wrong with you
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 3:39AM
Rochelle Staffieri
Do you want landscaping as well as physical changes to the structure?
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 4:06PM
Christine
Not sure if the porch is framed in behind the windows or.... Please post more photos.
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 4:16PM
PRO
KTB Design Group
More info and pictures...also where the residence is located would help as well
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 6:29AM
vickiric
Hope this helps, First I would change the blinds to curtains, They take your eye away from whatever you do. If not much money to spend I would clear the area under the window and then put in 3 very large pots (plastic looks real now and easier to handle) Place under the 3 boards going down the window that end without touching any thing. Fill with colorful plants. Add a couple of garden accents in the pots. Fill in around the pots with a color mulch.. I think this will draw your eyes to the window.
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 6:54AM
adsreed
I agree with the former comment. The porch the way it is will look better with landscaping, blinds and potted plants beneath the window or colorful bushes. Based on the edge of the porch, railings with posts to match may enhance the view.
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 7:25AM
handymam
I'm a bit confused...Where is the porch?
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 7:33AM
vickiric
From the picture the porch looks very small. So I was saying make it look bigger by adding the pots and mulch. Draw your eye across the front of the house and not stop at the entrance. I think I would also paint the front door a bright color to match the pots you get. That way it draws you in, and makes you feel welcome. I love to drive around town and see what people do to make their houses inviting.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 7:50AM
rkmumbaioffice
i suggest :
1. use maximum glass for the facade with bevel cluster in the glass. Frame glass with rough wood and use antique green paint finish on the wood frame.The green finish will blend with the grass and enhance the beauty of the facade. OR
2. If you can remove the sloping roof and convert the roof into a cube look. That would ofcourse involve a lot of expense and restructuring.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 11:31AM
rinqreation
I suggest new blinds, but I don't see a porch? Could you post a wider view of the house please?
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 11:53AM
Diane
Do you mean the porch that is barley a slice on the side of the photo?
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 1:19PM
Lilly nunes
Luis, deverias ponernos mas fotos No se logra ver la casa completa !
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 3:38PM
Rochelle Staffieri
Luis, How much freedom do you have to change things? Do you own this house? How much can you afford?
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 5:10PM
PRO
Lankford Associates Landscape Architects
Hi there,

I suggest adding to your existing patio and carrying it across the front of the house. Paving is less cost than decking and more durable. Try to eliminate the step and carry the surfaces level to each other but you want to slope away from the house 1/8" to 1/4" per foot to drain. You can use pavers for a do it yourself project or do it in concrete with stain or detailing to add dimension to the patio. Adding a bench under the window on the patio and then adding planting beds to wrap the corner of the patio and along the side will set the patio and house into the landscape. Changing the window dressing would be a good idea also. Try to bring the soil level with the patio so there is no step down. This will also help with drainage. Mound the plant bed to add interest to it. Be sure that the patio addition is deep enough to accommodate uses such as a small table or chairs. Good luck.

Scott Lankford
Landscape Architect
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 11:20AM
Jean Tuck
After refacing brick on corners, you may want to extend porch across whole front of home adding decorative rails, flower garden all along sides and front of porch.but low lying, and for myself I would have a couple annual bushes at ends to give a finished appearence.
White trims always set up good curbside appearences. Would love to see finished photos if thats ok?
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 5:28PM
arlys baker
The above comment is excellent and will value to your property. I would also get out the paint, it does wonders, so does a garden, New blinds/shutters would also make a difference. Your house has good bones, so you are lucky.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 5:31PM