Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Furniture placement
ann
February 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I posted a few weeks ago regarding trying to update my very traditional living room. Most people responded that I should move my furniture. I have, but feel the spaces at end s of sofa are "awkward. Not enough room to put a chair as I had wanted. The room is longer than wide. Cupboard is on long wall. I will have matching chairs where the chair currently is in the photo. Is this better? I'm hesitant!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Emily Hurley
I think your room looks great! I love the couch pulled away from the wall. Do you have another chair you can pair with the one across from the couch?
February 7, 2013 at 2:28pm     
carole
the room is looking very good,but maybe you feel it a bit empty!!how about bringing in one occasional table next to the couch and a big plant on the corner behind it,then once the other chair is there too,and have you thought about windowtreatment??roman blinds maybe??that would soften the space too..
February 7, 2013 at 2:39pm     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I still like the layout in picture #1. The picture with the sofa & side tables w/lamps gives a more finished look. So you may want to try that. I hope your pair of chairs that are coming are larger stuffed chairs, not of the plaid chair that is there now. Pull your sofa back a little toward the wall from where it is in the 1st picture. Maybe just a little more wall color would also warm up the room. It looks too washed out. And the most important missing piece is simple drapery panels off the sides and hung high just under the crown molding on all your windows. Do not use a pattern, choose very neutral. Your crown molding looks darker than the walls...I would paint the walls and ceiling the crown color and paint all the trim an off white.
February 7, 2013 at 2:55pm   
libradesigneye
I think Barbara is saying - put the side tablesand lamps back next to couch in its new location - don't worry if they "fall" off the rug". She echoed my comments on wall color and drapery panels to flank / make your windows (which are great and gorgeous) visually larger per some previous comments.. Accent plaid chair will find a spot when new chairs come in - no worries there, it can complete square with its back to the dining room, or go into a corner as you enter room / move about a bit. To answer your earlier response, Curio may need to go on other wall to left that I can't see - this side of opening to dining instead of crowding window as you pointed out.

You are on the right track! This looks good as you enter room and makes whole room look bigger by segregating seating area from entry area.
February 7, 2013 at 3:06pm     
PRO
Creations Nadia Interior Design
i like the last two pics:))))
February 7, 2013 at 6:50pm   
lparides
A ottoman table with ceiling light over it some window treatments and nice pics on the wall
February 7, 2013 at 6:55pm   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
July 17, 2013 at 4:23pm