powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
High ceilings, Arched Windows, Mountain Views - Window Coverings Advice?
Kim Langley
February 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have a new home and it was designed to maximize the mtn views to the west. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with the window coverings in the great room and dining room. Wall color is sage, kitchen color is pale yellow (adjacent to the dining room). Top of arch to floor is 132", top of main windows 96". And we have some accessories of red in the room (candles on fireplace, pillows, etc). And do I match both rooms, like what i have already? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Tina Barclay
My preference are drapery panels rods such as you have, however, you need to bump up the warmth. I would use a textural fabric that incorporates some colors or a print to enliven the rooms. The panels should be bulkier as well to help balance the banks of windows and size of rooms. Let me know if you need any assistance. Take a look at my website for some ideas!
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 1:23PM
Kim Langley
Tina - Thank you very much! Great advice. Would you raise the height of the great room rods?
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 1:34PM
Tina Jack
Beautiful windows! Without blocking the view, your draperies would do much to enhance the feel of the room. I would suggest extening the rods at least 12" past the windows allowing for room to pull the draperies off the window without making them look smashed together. Also, I would have four panels made for each of the three paned windows, allowing a drape at each end and and either side of the middle window. Unless the light coming through the arched portion of the living room windows is a bother, I would leave them as they are except to extend them turther past each window. Since both rooms are painted the same color, I would treat them both with the same draperies. I agree with Tina Barclay, that a richer, textural fabric would give life and warmth to the room.
1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 1:59PM
PRO
Filling Spaces by Deepali Kalia
Raise the height in the dining room-all the way to the ceiling,leave the great room as is.
1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 2:08PM
PRO
Tina Barclay
No given the proximity of the living room to the dining room and the transom window over the main bank. I would extend the rod to 6" past the casing. 12" would be too much given the return wall bynthe living roomon the dining room side.
1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 7:30PM
PRO
Hummingbird Designs
Love the colour of the room :) I agree with both Tina's , a heavier drape,In regards to colour if you have a nice accent colour in your great room choose that, and bring it into the dining room.
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 1:19PM
PRO
Fenstermann LLC
Love the space, I would suggest using a top-down/bottom-up shade in white. This way you can get natural light, and still have privacy from the street. They will look fantastic when framed in with the drapes suggested above. : )
Leave the arched transom windows bare, they do not require shading.
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 3:09PM
hanknliza
For a warmer feel, I would use a darker woven wood pull up type shade and keep the same curtains, only place the rod(s) higher. Beautiful place you have already! Enjoy!
1 Like   Thanked by Kim Langley    April 21, 2014 at 3:50PM
More Discussions
Need help identifying this baby furniture item?
A friend gave this to me and told me it was a walker...
Too crowded---furniture arrangement needs help!
Looking for your thoughts on the addition of this purple...
range hood bulb how do I change? AKDY 198KN
range hood bulb how do I change? AKDY 198KN
Can't decide kitchen color
I am moving into a new apartment. I would love to have...
adding trim to top of case opening
looking to add trim to a case opening, just the top...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.