powered by
Design Dilemma
Design Dilemma

Single sided to a double sided fireplace

JeriFebruary 4, 2013
I have a sunken living room with a single sided fireplace. I would like to make my fire place two sided and open to the dining room. The dilemma is that since my living room is sunken, the proposed opening on the dining room side would be flush with the floor. Would that be weird to have an open fire box at the floor? And if so, can I child proof this?
Also have you had experience making this conversion? And is it a difficult task?
There is base board heater in front of the proposed opening now, but we are planning to convert to in floor heat and remove the base board.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Raise it up a few more inches to have an appropriate hearth. Will the fireplace be wood burning?
    Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 2:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Yes. It has a gas feed to start the fire, but then it is wood burning. "Raising it up a few more inches" sounds like a lot of work.
    Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 2:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
My craftsman fireplace has the firebox at floor level. This modern one looks like it does too.
Eberhart · More Info
    Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 2:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Is the floor of the firebox currently level with the dining room floor or is it lower? Hopefully a fireplace expert will see and answer your question.

I was mistaken and thought you were intending to replace the existing firebox.
    Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 2:52PM
Sign Up to comment
Related Discussions
making a double sided fireplace
the current fireplace is one sided and could be opened...
Should I put in a double sided outdoor fireplace on deck
We are expanding our deck to 1000 sq ft. I was thinking...
Double-sided Fireplace?
Who is the manufacturer of that insert?
Double Sided Fireplace HELP!
We just bought this house and it has this 80s double...
Huge double-sided fireplace: good or bad?
Considering this house for sale. Has massive dual-side...
Spacecadet Dove
More Discussions
Need help for exterior color
Hi all, I will be shingling and repainting my house...
A Hare-y bedroom
Im about to embark on designing this bedroom. I have...
Help with inexpensive end tables
I like the idea of something to match the ottoman,...
G Sigovich
This Sofa with this Living Room?
Sorry for asking once again, it feels like I have been...
Bee Cat
Please help! Still struggling with backsplash design!!
I am ready to pull my hair out! We redid kitchen and...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.