Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need modern home exterior design help!
michizak21
February 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We bought this home a year ago and we love it but I think the exterior needs a little help. I am wanting, for the most part, to keep the design aesthetic in tact and keep things symmetrical. Perhaps window boxes or incorporating different materials (wood)? We have done some landscaping, which has helped but I want to "warm up" the exterior. Help!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Micha von Doring Art and Design
Great structure to work with .. A few things that stand out to me . 1st , maybe create some depth . Perhaps, some float mount overhangs , suspended , with some of that tension fit stainless steel .hardware . Also the left side gate could use changing ..Then some hard scape to further define your property ...Wood is a good choice , maybe Ipe . Hope that helps ...
February 4, 2013 at 2:36pm   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Ann-Marie King
Hey there. Lovely modern design but a little static. I actually think symmetry is hurting you a bit right now because the facade lacks a meaningful focal point to draw the eye into it.

If you are fully committed to the symmetry you have now in the architecture, leave it be and create interest with the curb appeal. Organic, colourful shrubbery in spherical and elliptical shapes can lead the eye from the drive toward the entry and contrast with your very geometric home.. I'd also suggest large house numbers to draw the eye to the entry. A tall, slim three with moderately thick foliage will lance the organic feel of the entry on the right, while colorful succulents, terraced into the fairly steep grade toward the street will beautify your front garden.

You have a great blank canvas. Go for it!
February 4, 2013 at 2:42pm