Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Rose Cottage before and almost after
rosecottagehome
February 4, 2013 in Before & After
Almost near completion of the big reno to our cottage, now home. I am thinking of adding shutters to the 2 small windows on either side of the eyebrow bump out window. These windows look small to me and I think the shutters will make them look wider as well as add some colour. Stumped with shutter colour though and front door colour. We will be adding black coach lights to both ends at the front as well as a black pendant light under the covered porch and an antique black bench to the porch. landscaping will also need to be added. The bump out was supposed to be covered in a light grey natural field stone ( cultured), but they sided it all and said they would change it to the stone if we want. Hmm, I am not sure now. Feedback and suggestions appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
What a wonderful transformation! Did the architect give you a reason why shutters were not specified? If a shutter is to be considered, I would do one full width board and batten shutter per window hanging on the side away from the eyebrow bump out under the eave. They would be hung on the window casing with proper window width sizing, hinges, pintels and shutter dog hardware. That should give you enough width and still remain unique and cottage like. I would paint them a grey typical of your roof but not so dark as to diminish the style and black hardware of the shutter.
February 4, 2013 at 3:36pm     
PRO
Weaver Home Photography
Super cool! Love it!
February 4, 2013 at 5:22pm   
rosecottagehome
Thank you Scott design for your suggestion for the shutters. I was thinking of doing the typical panelled or louvered shutter on both sides of the small windows, so interesting idea you gave. I did not use an architect, but rather did the design myself, from pictures I liked on houzz and modified them to my old cottage with my contractor's input. I am glad you suggested a similar palate of grey to the roof. I was going in the same direction. The front door does not face out, but is on the side under the covered porch. What do you think about black on the front door? Thanks again for your suggestions.
February 4, 2013 at 7:15pm   
PRO
Studio S Squared Architecture, Inc.
very cute, the house has a very pleasing face now.
February 4, 2013 at 8:01pm   
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
Your architectural detailing has created a casual elegance with this facade. The more colors, the more cute-sy. The use of greys and black on the shutters, if you are to do them will support your approach. However, since your front door is around the corner, you may want to add a surprise color to bring a smile to the faces of your guests...a violet or aqua or emerald...a gem of a cottage!
February 7, 2013 at 5:00pm     
rosecottagehome
Again thank you for your suggestions Scott Design Inc. It would seem the consensus so far on the various discussions are to go for a light grey on the shutters, maybe a single shutter that actually closes, a window box under the eyebrow window in french blue with a french blue front door. How charming!
February 7, 2013 at 5:16pm     
carolannr
You definitely made that "weed" into a "rose"! I've seen so many houses like this that with a little appreciation could be really spectacular.
February 7, 2013 at 5:36pm   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Again I say you did an amazing job. I am still wondering where it is located?
February 7, 2013 at 5:44pm   
dianahb
I just saw this. What a perfectly perfect transformation. Really lovely. Also like the ideas of grey and French blue. Wait. Is that water the cottage looks out on?
February 7, 2013 at 5:52pm   
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
Don't forget to post your completed project photos!
February 7, 2013 at 6:04pm     
rosecottagehome
Rosecottage is indeed situated on a beautiful lake in Ontario Canada It has been our old cottage for 14 years and now it is our home. I spent 6 months designing every aspect and detail of this big transformation with several sessions of brainstorming and input from my contractor. I will post a pic of our lake view from our bottom deck. Also will post a before and almost after lake view side of the cottage. It's coming along very nicely.
February 7, 2013 at 6:18pm     
rosecottagehome
A few more photos on the lake side..........can't wait to see it finished.
February 7, 2013 at 6:25pm     
dianahb
Wow-- well, it's just gorgeous. You've done such a thoughtful job -- really magical-seeming-- and what a view! Congratulations!

I love to see something like this-- so much more charming and wonderful than the easy way out (tear-down and slapping up something totally inappropriate, which is--sadly-- too often the case around here). Thanks for the extra photos.
February 7, 2013 at 6:27pm   
carolannr
Its gorgeous! You have a right to be very proud of this!
February 7, 2013 at 6:28pm     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
@rosecottagehome It looks like an amazing lake. I do love Canada so much. You are doing such a great job on this remodel. You should be really proud of yourself and your beautiful new cottage.
February 7, 2013 at 6:31pm   
judianna20
I wish you did not post twice. It is misleading for those of us who got on board with your first dilemma and those, here, who do not realize you have already received advice. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/334840/Our-new-exterior--add-colour-with-shutters-
February 7, 2013 at 6:35pm   
rosecottagehome
Thank you so very much for all your kind remarks and encouragement everyone. This has been a labour of love, as I'm sure you can tell. I will post more pics down the road as things get finished. The inside will be lovely with cathedral or vaulted ceilings in every room. 6' addition to the side to make a bigger, completely new kitchen, bathroom and entranceway. New cathedral ceiling in the master bedroom and new gutted master bathroom. All designed to emphasize the main attraction.......our beloved lake.
February 7, 2013 at 6:42pm   
aniluap2
Who cares! The more the merrier it's all about providing help not where it's posted.
February 7, 2013 at 6:44pm     
dianahb
Yeah-- I never saw the original post, so I'm glad this was posted again. As far as advice and dilemmas-- on the face of it, I can't see that she has any dilemmas, and she definitely needed no advice from me (which I didn't give, anyway), so . . .
February 7, 2013 at 6:49pm     
carolannr
Me too. LIove to see the changes you have made. Please keep posting as you get further along. I don't think there is a limit to how much help that can be offered by those that are volunteering it.
February 7, 2013 at 6:57pm     
rosecottagehome
Sorry about the 2 posts, I am new at this on houzz. I have greatly appreciated all the advice and wonderful ideas from both forums. My initial post I found way back on the higher numbered pages and because I did not receive any replies, thought no one would see it and really hoped for feedback and suggestions as the project continues. Now today, I see my old post on page one??? Not sure how all this works, but please accept my apology. I had no intention of being unfair to other posts.
February 7, 2013 at 7:02pm   
jolieblue
I think it's lovely and want to see a picture of that French blue transformation. What a perfect color combination, especially on your lakeside setting.
February 7, 2013 at 7:14pm   
nasmijati
Hi rosecottagehome. Every time someone comments on a post, it goes to the top of the list. If no one replies for even two days, your post might be as far as 300 from the top, because Houzz has so many posts and people making comments. So, if you want to "refresh," just add a comment to your original post, instead of re-posting. You could say something like, "Got this far, now what?" or "Back of house as of (date)." That will bump your post up to the top and it will probably stay up where people will see it for at least a day.
February 7, 2013 at 7:46pm   
rosecottagehome
Thanks ezita for the tip. Will be more in step with the right protocol in the future.
February 7, 2013 at 8:17pm   
Aja Mazin
rosecottagehome,

I hope you will post more photos!

In an additional thought, this bears an amazingly resemblance to the class tattletale.
February 8, 2013 at 7:39am     
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
So enjoy your post, your home, your renovations! Yes, keep sharing!
February 8, 2013 at 11:20am     
rosecottagehome
Aja! You are too funny!! Thanks.
February 8, 2013 at 11:23am     
cypress
Thanks for the info Ezita! Not everyone is an "expert" posting on Houzz. Where's the rule book?
February 8, 2013 at 11:29am     
PRO
Ingrained woodworking Inc
beautiful job rosecottagehome. keep posting pics.
February 8, 2013 at 12:18pm     
rosecottagehome
OK, now thanks to all of your thoughtful and very helpful responses about adding grey shutters, a french blue front door and a planter box filled with red flowers and lavender growing below, ( I love all these suggestions and will use them), I put forth my next question for which I seek advice and will update this post with it.

I have been browsing for weeks online for lighting for the new kitchen. I will submit the plan I have, as the cabinets are currently being made and not at this stage installed. The electrician has done the wiring and I want to order the lights and have them shipped to him so that they will get installed once everything is in.

My big uncertainty is selecting the right size light to go over my small 3' by 4' island. The light style I am considering is a 3 light urn style pendant by Progress Lighting ( Fiorentino Collection P2879-77). Is it too big? It measures 15 7/8" diam. by 35 7/8" ht. I have only seen the picture of it online and when I cut out it's size and shape out of newspaper to get an idea of it's size it seems big! it will be hanging from a cathedral ceiling. I thought one island pendant light that is a good size rather than 2 smaller ones. I have read abut the rule of 3, but the island is small. My second choice was a Progress urn either 9 3/4" diam. by 24 1/2" ht. This is tough to decide when all I have are the plans and online pics.

I was thinking of putting the matching 4 light chandelier over a 42" round table. It measures in at 23 1/2" diam. by 26 1/4" ht. and will be in the eat in area of the kitchen.

Are there design rules about lighting sizes over tables and islands? I am certain there are. Thanks! The fridge in the plan has been moved and now a pantry is in it's place.
February 8, 2013 at 8:45pm   
rosecottagehome
Please note the pic of the plan is just rough, the eat in is actually bigger than it looks since the fridge has been moved and is narrower. Things have been tweaked. The apex of the cathedral is actually over the sink area.
February 8, 2013 at 8:52pm   
Aja Mazin
Above my pay grade!!

But the kitchen design looks awesome!
February 8, 2013 at 9:01pm   
aniluap2
I think the rule for tables is1. 68 x fixture=table. The island would be a little different but you need to be at least 2-3" in from th edge and you need to allow spacing between the pendants from base to base. The island is small so you may want to consider something with a lighter profile. If you google West Elm pendant lights they have some interesting fixtures( not sure it's exactly your style) but they might work in that space. The other tip on fixtures over tables or counters is that the base should be between 32-36" from the tabletop. Hope this helps. The kitchen looks charming.
February 8, 2013 at 9:50pm   
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
Lighting industry guidelines recommend that a chandelier over a dining table be the sum of the length and width of the room changed to inches, e.g. 10’x12’=22’ changed to 22”. Or no wider than 50% the size of the table or no less than 10” between it and the side of the table. When determining distance to the table, hang 30”-36” above it (pendants can be as low as 28" at times) and no closer to a wall than 48”.

The lower to the dining table, the more intimate the dining experience. On the other hand, how do you want to react when you are standing next to it or sitting under it relative to line of sight and bulk?

As far as the island is concerned, it sounds as though you want a chandelier to be a prominent focal point and light source for the kitchen as well as the island. The height of your vaulted ceiling (12’?) allows for a tall chandelier and its diameter of 16” fits the width guidelines. Its distance off the island top should be high enough for most people to see under it without interrupting their line of sight.
February 8, 2013 at 11:13pm     
rosecottagehome
Thank you for the guidelines. Extremely helpful! Sounds like the chandelier I am loving ( 23-1/2" diam.) breaks the 50% rule for a 42" wide round table by 6". May have to reconsider that one and opt for something smaller.

The island urn pendant sounds like it will be fine for width ( 15-7/8" diam. ) and is going to be the focal point and the first light switched on when going into the kitchen. Scott Design, you mentioned because of the high vaulted ceiling a tall chandelier should work. So do you think the urn pendant of 36" ht. will be the right scale for that 3' by 4' island? Or should I consider a smaller pendant???? I am tapping into your experience here where I have none.

Thanks Scott Deign, aniluap2 and aja for your input. Aja, by the time this reno gets done, it may be above my pay grade too, LOL.
February 9, 2013 at 5:14am     
aniluap2
Thanks Scott design. That is why this site is so awesome because I learn so much from the pros who are so willing to share their expertise.
February 9, 2013 at 7:17am   
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
Guidelines are just that, guidelines. When I look at the proposed location of the chandelier, I also consider whether it is “open” or “closed” in styling, whether it’s down lighting or up/out, how much light it gives off, whether it is the only fixture over a task area, etc. I also look at the size and volume of the room and whether its styling can hold its own relative to what’s going on around it. So much of this is subjective after you start with the guidelines.

That being said, there are a couple of things that I prefer…that the chain be as long as the chandelier is tall plus or minus (if it’s short then the chandelier looks off balance and defeats its “hanging” quality) …and if it is the only fixture over a small island, that it does not interfere with line of sight when standing.

I have made some dimension assumptions regarding your space. Based on this information I have provided two elevations using the 2 different chandeliers mounted 33" off the island top at 36" off the floor. Look at them and see which one is appealing to you based on what you know about your completed room. I’m sure you will be getting more input from others as well.

As far as your table chandelier…50% is just a guideline. Look at it this way, instead of 10” between it and the side of the table (to avoid bumping heads when hanging low), it will be 9”…42”-24”=18” / 2 = 9”. Instead of 30”-33” off the table use 34”-36”.

Styling comes into play here, also. The glass bells are mounted approximately 8” above the bottom of the fixture and then start to flare out to the 24” diameter thereby eliminating most head banging anyway (unless you invite the Detroit Pistons!). Since it’s the glass that creates the diameter dimension, it will not look as big as if all the lights had shades or there was one drum shade in the 24" diameter.

So, go for it. Worst case scenario is when the electrician holds it up and you feel it’s too big, you can return it (as long as he has not wired it).

Hope this is not confusing. This is so much easier to explain face to face while on site!
February 9, 2013 at 1:35pm     
PRO
Ingrained woodworking Inc
wow scott design. very thorough. I learned something here. thank you.
February 9, 2013 at 5:33pm   
rosecottagehome
OMG! Scott design!!! If you had not included the diagram, I would have been a little lost, to be honest. But the pendant light looks great over the island, presuming it is the approximate scale, but I have a feeling, with all the detail you just provided, it would be pretty close. Thank you so very much for the info you just shared and for taking the time to provide such a thorough description to help me decide.
Greatly appreciated!!!
February 9, 2013 at 9:25pm   
Aja Mazin
Scott Design, Inc.,

WOW!

Thank you.
February 9, 2013 at 10:25pm   
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
Ladies, it's been fun! And yes, the lights are right out of the catalog with the correct dimensions. Just promise that you will post photos when project is completed!
February 9, 2013 at 10:54pm   
rosecottagehome
Will do. Your diagram beats the heck out of the one I tried to fashion to scale out of taped together, cut out newspaper. Then in an equally inept strategy, trying to decide if this " model" was the right scale, I held it up while standing on my dining room table over placemats that were supposed to represent the size of the island.......and I still couldn't tell!! So again, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!
February 10, 2013 at 6:32am   
Marilyn Wilkie
Perfect! You can tell that you put a lot of thought into your transformation. I think that it looks great without the stone on the bump out, though I love stone as well. Enjoy!
February 10, 2013 at 7:13am   
nasmijati
@rosecottagehome. Your kitchen is going to be amazing when it is finished. Please continue to post your thoughts as you go along.

@Scott Design, Inc. Thank you for the tutorial.

@cypress. Re: How photos are arranged in a discussion. I learned by reading some comments on "Using Houzz," while I was looking for something else entirely.
February 10, 2013 at 7:52am   
rosecottagehome
Hi Scott Design, I reread your post regarding the size and scale of the 2 lights I am considering for my kitchen reno. There was so much good, thorough information, I had to read it twice to fully comprehend all the points you gave. I have decided to go with the original Progress lights, the Fiorintino Collection with the larger pendant light over the island, as compared to my second choice smaller pendant light. Because of your diagram, I think the one larger pendant looks right in scale and stands out more as a focal point and light source as compared to the smaller pendant. I decided to " Go for it, " be bold and not play it safe ( as I may have before posting).

The matching 4 light chandelier from the same collection will be fine too, even though I was concerned it broke the 50% guideline. Because you pointed out the fact about the styling of the glass bells on the chandelier being the widest diameter, I don't think it will look too large and I will take your advise to hang it a little higher ( will check the ceiling height to make sure the chain is a long as the chandelier height, give or take).

Big dilemma solved thanks to the generous contribution from the pro at Scott Design Inc.

Now if I may be so bold as to squeak in one last request for advice...........My last itsy bitsy quandary is that the electrician suggested I put in a mini pendant light hanging over the sink instead of a pot or recessed light, because the apex is too high over the sink and this type of lighting won't illuminate the sink area below well enough. He has done the wiring for this. I was looking at the matching mini pendant light in the collection, but think it may be too much hanging "stuff! " in the kitchen, even though it is a clear seeded glass design. I will be having under counter lighting and puck lights above the cupboards behind the crown molding. Maybe I can do without a hanging light over the sink?

Thank you once again.
February 10, 2013 at 2:37pm   
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
I would really encourage you to have a light over the sink since it is the main task area of the kitchen. The light coming from the surrounding fixures will be too diffused by the time it illuminates your sink area. I understand your concern for a 3rd hanging fixture however it is on the perimeter of the room between your wall cabinets in its own space. Another option is a wall bracket/sconce above your cottage window that projects out over the sink. There are many styles available in both interior and exterior collections that come in a dark finish to complement your hanging fixtures. Since this wall mounted sink light is basically tucked away, you can have some fun with it as well. Hudson Valley lighting and Troy lighting are 2 sources. I've pulled a couple of photos just for grins. Be sure to put it on a dimmer.
February 10, 2013 at 4:13pm     
rosecottagehome
Scott Design Inc. such a good idea! No unsightly long length of wire or light rods to come all the way down from that apex of the cathedral. I will contact the electrician to see about getting that wall above the window wired for a wall bracket/scone. Much, much better idea. Here is a picture of that window over the sink, so you can see a mini pendant would have to have a long wire and would be too much with the big urn pendant close by. You have been such a huge help. In all the planning, this kitchen lighting caused me the biggest dilemma. I will check out the web sites you suggested. Again........Thank You, I greatly appreciate your suggestions!!!
February 10, 2013 at 6:11pm   
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
I'm happy that you're happy! Have fun selecting the fixture. You are doing what I have been doing for a living for over 25 years. I love it!
February 10, 2013 at 6:17pm   
rosecottagehome
Well Scott Design, Inc. it really shows! Who else would take so much time to offer such expert advise on houzz on their own time, if they didn't love what they were doing. I love it too! It's just kind of scary, when it's your own home. I so don't want to make big mistakes and am relieved to get suggestions and feedback. I'll post the finished pictures of those lights.
February 10, 2013 at 6:37pm   
aniluap2
Rosecottagehome how fortunate for you that scottdesign has been so generous with his advice. I think we would all feel more comfortable working with a designer if we felt assured that they were as knowledgeable, but I've seen a lot of credentialed designers out there that don't have a clue. Scott you are a credit to the profession.
February 11, 2013 at 7:18am     
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
Thank you aniluap2 for your generous remarks. I've been participating in the Houzz community for approximately six weeks now and find it a very interesting platform. It’s a challenge to all of the participating professionals and talented/skilled lay people to provide sound advice within such a limited framework. One thing is for sure…the better the information we receive, the better the advice we give.

In this case, rosecottagehome provided a detailed starting point for the discussion, took time and energy in responding to our requests for more information and most importantly, she provided consistent and timely feedback to all of us. It takes two to tango.

Oh, by the way, Scott Design is a woman named Sue :) !
February 11, 2013 at 12:33pm     
rosecottagehome
Well Sue of Scott Design Inc, you have been a wealth of information to me and I have been hitting the web sites your recommended and even went and picked up the Progress Lighting catalogue to carry around with me into the various lighting stores to try and find that special something to go over the sink with the Fiorentino or the Savannah Collection ( kind of liking it too, P4007-86 for the island, P4120-86 for the table possibly). Troy lighting is sensational, and I will trek out to their distributors to see if I can find an interesting wall bracket light that will add some unusual character. Maybe I will figure out how to do a poll on houzz because I have about 10 lights so far on my wish list from Troy. Price will be a big factor, but I'm sure with lots of time hunting I will find that special something to go along with either collection. I really like your suggestion to try something unusual and have some fun with this choice. I agree, we have a big working antique post lamp outside the cottage that the original owner of the cottage fashioned from a light off an old steam ship off the St. Lawrence Canal River. I love this light and my wheels are spinning to find maybe something of an era gone by. Let you know!
February 11, 2013 at 2:42pm   
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
Have fun!
February 11, 2013 at 3:44pm   
aniluap2
Hi Scott Design inc. just looked at your profile page and love your aesthetic. Your bathrooms look very similar to what I have done in my home. Loved your co-op kitchen and was wondering what the backsplash tile was. It was an unusually touch..very striking. I also loved the large vinyl tiled floor. How does that hold up to dogs ?
February 12, 2013 at 7:51am   
aniluap2
By the way Sue, sorry if I assumed you were a man named Scott...should have known better.
February 12, 2013 at 7:55am   
Aja Mazin
rosecottagehome,

I look at your beautiful cottage every day.

It is so pleasing, it always brightens my day.
[or maybe its you!!]
February 12, 2013 at 8:23am     
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
aniluap2 - The 24"x24"x1/2" black and white floor is a porcelain tile from American Olean installed on a cement floor...no maintenance I have done the same size in solid vinyl tiles in a home with two dachshunds and they require a vinyl cleaner that masks the scratching...moderate maintenance.

The backsplash tile is one of several designs in the"Quilt Series" called Window Pane. It's a custom order available in many colors. I purchased it through Rye Ridge Tile in Port Chester, NY.

Not to worry about the "man" thing. It's about the "business" thing. My Dad was a builder. He had a daughter...me...who liked going to the jobsites. I grew up and brought design to the mix. He retired and couldn't believe I wanted to establish a company in a traditional man's construction world. Knowing how things are "put together" has given me great freedom in design and its implementation down to the very last detail. My daughter is an architecture grad. It seems this bulding thing runs in the family!
February 12, 2013 at 11:18am   
rosecottagehome
Oh Aja, you are so funny! I think it's the thread of liking happy, beautiful, organized homes = happy people, that tie us somewhat together on this site. Our homes can be such a creative statement of what we are, what we love, our individuality. To share this with people who feel the same way about creating their own environments, to appreciate each others efforts, to offer support, ideas and advise, when one is in doubt........that to me is very special and houzz is such a great forum to share this and make connections with kindred spirits. I'm hooked, not a day goes by I don't check out what's going on with our houzz mates. I'll post more pics as things come along. I don't expect rosecottage to be livable for another month or so.

Scott Design, specifically Sue, I also checked out your website and pictures of the beautiful homes you worked on. Talent runs deep. Please keep posting your work.
February 12, 2013 at 12:10pm     
rosecottagehome
Things will be a whole lot brighter at rosecottage .........before and almost after living room window and cathedral ceiling. Horrible picture quality ( sorry, taken on my eepad ). My before living room was not this ugly, this is when we had to pack up the ENTIRE contents of the cottage to make it reno ready. What a job!
February 12, 2013 at 12:35pm     
aniluap2
Thanks so much Susan, we lived in Katonah, NY for 7 years and left in 2006. Pity I didn't know you then. Thanks so much for the info. Loved the kitchen. Well done.
February 12, 2013 at 3:11pm   
PRO
Olde Wood Ltd.
Wow, everything looks so nice!
February 20, 2013 at 11:09am   
rosecottagehome
Rosecottage update.... getting there and hopefully closer to moving in, in 3 weeks. The last pictures received were a month ago when the clear pine ceilings went in and dry wall up. Floors are in but I haven't received a picture yet. Because the cottage/home won't be heated in the cold Canadian winters, I had to go with a good quality laminate, which I went with a mid tone brown in the larger planks. I hope it will all go together. I am thinking of adding wood trim or beams the same wood as the ceilings on the top of those open white walls, which are 2 small guest bedrooms to add some height and tie the look together. We wanted to keep things open and not chop off the view of the large cathedral ceiling. What do you think? I will post more pictures of the finished project.
April 4, 2013 at 11:28am     
Aja Mazin
BEAUTIFUL!

I would hesitate anything that would detract from the lovely architectural lines of your fantastic ceiling!
April 4, 2013 at 1:19pm   
kimdee24
Beautiful home, my fellow Canadian! I was born near Lake of the Woods, and I surely wish we had those kinds of beautiful lakes out here in prairie country. Looks great, enjoy!
April 4, 2013 at 1:30pm   
PRO
Purcell Quality, Inc.
Great job, now it has character!
April 4, 2013 at 2:08pm   
aniluap2
Looking good.
April 4, 2013 at 3:39pm   
Anne Gibney
Love your ceilings, very nice!
April 4, 2013 at 5:00pm   
rosecottagehome
Thanks Aja. Good point. I think I will wait and live in it, then I will know if I should add that wood trim or not. Kimdee you are a long way from Lake of the Woods now.
April 4, 2013 at 8:11pm     
kimdee24
I sure am! I would love to get back there someday. Good luck with the rest of your project, it's going to be stunning!
April 4, 2013 at 8:20pm   
rosecottagehome
Rosecottage After.............All the main renovations are complete. We are living in our greatly improved cottage/home. Still working on landscaping and hubby working on the lower level. I will likely be posting for colour advice once we paint the basic primer white. Still many pictures to hang on the blank walls, but I just can't pull myself out of the gardens. Thank you for all the great suggestions as the project moved along. Scott Design you were so helpful with helping me choose the right kitchen lighting. Here are some pictures. Getting there.....
June 10, 2013 at 5:46pm     
dianahb
So beautiful! I love everything about it, right down to the exterior colors. So inviting and so perfect. Congratulations!! What did you use on your kitchen countertops, by the way? And what kind of wood is in that room that overlooks the lake? Just incredible! Thanks for showing these. Can't wait to see more.
June 10, 2013 at 5:57pm     
carolannr
You guys did a beautiful job. Don't forget to take time to take a deep breath and enjoy it. Life's way too short to get everything done at one time!
June 10, 2013 at 7:55pm   
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
Can't believe it's been 4 months! I'm thrilled to see your cottage again. Thank you so much for posting the pics. Remodeling is very demanding and tiring at times but when you see the finished product you realize why you stayed the course. Congratulations! Can't wait to see more. Enjoy!
June 10, 2013 at 8:41pm     
rosecottagehome
Such good advise carolannr. I sat beside the lake since we have been back maybe three times to just sit, but not for long. Doesn't mean I haven 't taken in the view though from the new windows and from the gardens. The company will start arriving soon, so we plan to spend much time in the lake and relaxing.

Thanks dianahb. The countertops are Alaska White granite. Still the back splash to do next year, something neutral with a subtle design medallion possibly behind the stove. The wood on the ceilings throughout the entire cottage are beveled clear unfinished pine, not a knot in it. Initially, before they went in, we thought we might paint the ceilings white. But once the wood went in, we love the look just the way they are. The wood came straight from a local grass roots mill near by.

Scott Design, I see you have helped many Houzzers with great suggestions. So good of you to help us out, drawing from your years of expertise and sharing it. Did you notice I picked the larger urn for over the small island and the wall bracket coach style light over the sink in the kitchen? The diagram to scale that you sent 4 months ago along with ideas for the wall bracket light, was exactly the advise I needed and I am thrilled with the results. Thank you once again!
June 11, 2013 at 3:41am   
bonnielynn75
It's wonderful; you have created a place to grow wonderful memories!
June 11, 2013 at 3:51am   
msmliss
BEAUTIFUL!!! Your cottage at once takes my breath away and washes me in comfort! May you have much joy in living there! You did a wonderful job! When do the magazine folks arrive to do the feature on it? : )
June 11, 2013 at 6:50am   
Aja Mazin
It's an enchanted cottage on the lake!
June 11, 2013 at 8:12am   
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
Yes, I did notice the lighting. I'm glad you are happy with it. Even though I may have years of experience, I grab at an opportunity for a visual, Like you, I have found myself climbing ladders, hanging cardboard pendants or anything else I could find close to the size and shape. Thank goodness for the precision of the computer and instantaneous 3D images! Climbing ladders is no longer on my list of things to do!
June 11, 2013 at 10:46am   
rosecottagehome
Thank you Aja and msmliss.........an enchanted cottage, that washes one in comfort. Mission accomplished. LOL. Well Sue of Scott Design, you got me off the dining room table holding my cut out newspaper urn light to try and visualize if I was on the right track. Ladders away for us. I have now purchased a really sturdy step stool with a really long handle to hold on to.
June 11, 2013 at 11:29am     
dianahb
Thanks for the info about the countertops and the wood. I wondered if it was pine, because pine can be beautiful if a high grade-- but you so often see only the knotty pine. I'm so impressed with the way it all looks, and especially those ceilings, etc. All just so exquisitely done. Again, congratulations on an amazingly beautiful renovation.
June 11, 2013 at 11:29am   
rosecottagehome
Thank you Dianahb. The ceilings turned out better than I had imagined. Every ceiling in every room and space is either cathedral or vaulted, makes small spaces feel big and airy. They were a challenge to design and tie roof lines together, so I build a 3-D styrofoam model to scale, built up from the floor plan drawn on graph paper. Then my contractor and I re-positioned varying roof lines to come up with the one that was built to replace the old cottage sagging and chopped up roof lines. We are so happy with the results.
June 11, 2013 at 11:39am