Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with a small and awkward powder room
muzenplein
February 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have a small 4 by 2 feet powder room that I would like to renovate. It is in the basement and has a bulkhead running lengthwise on the ceiling. Part of the ductwork is exposed and sticks out of the bulkhead. I plan on putting in a pedestal sink to make it feel more spacious. I also wanted to tile the whole wall behind the sink but with the bulkhead there I'm not sure how good that will look. I would appreciate any ideas on how to design around these awkward elements. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
EB Interiors
can you pls post more pics that show the full height of the room?
February 4, 2013 at 6:09PM   
muzenplein
Here are some more photos
February 4, 2013 at 6:12PM   
muzenplein
More photos
February 4, 2013 at 6:16PM   
muzenplein
I don't have a pic of the full height but it is about 7 feet to the ceiling and about 5 feet to the bulkhead. Here's another pic of the exposed ductwork.
February 4, 2013 at 6:21PM   
Darzy
I think I'd build a frame around the vent and cover the "frame" solid mirror. A a glance, and light reflection, it may look like a skylight! :) In a tiny bathroom, I like the "jewel box" effect.
February 4, 2013 at 6:28PM     
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
Would you consider an "industrial" look by getting rid of the soffits that hide the ducting, pipes, etc. and leaving them exposed but painted. Continue with clean contemporary lines in pedestal, faucet and accessories. Metal-like floor tile. Textured stucco wall surface.
February 4, 2013 at 6:30PM   
PRO
EB Interiors
you need to cover up the duct work. in such a small space with all the bulkhead, i wouldnt recommend tiling the wall. i would do an interesting tile installation on the floor with a mosaic border perhaps in a blue and silver and then paint the walls a soft gray. you will have your mirror and pedastal sink and call it a day!
February 4, 2013 at 6:37PM   
Rosemarie
First you" have" to drywall that protruding metal ! From there on the skys the limit. But a pattern wallpaper of some sort to minimize all those angles up there maybe even include the ceiling.
February 4, 2013 at 6:50PM   
PRO
NexTrend Design
The leafy design is very nice but it makes the small room too busy and will be distracting when people need to look in the mirror. If you could paint over it with a slightly sheer barely-there yellow/green/gray color, then the leafy design would show through slightly but become very subtle, like a tone on tone wallpaper.

The exposed duct needs to be framed in and drywalled/sheet-rocked but if you can get your handyman to do the same on the other side and curve it up & over on each side to make a perfect arch, then it'll look like it was always meant to be that way.

Redo the entire floor so that it fills in the gap under the vanity. Get either a small footed vanity that looks like a free standing piece of furniture or a pedestal sink as you suggested.

Get a much larger wall to wall mirror to reflect more light & add the illusion of more space. Add more mirrors or mirror tiles on the side walls butting up against the main mirror. Then add an appropriate sized chandelier (white or warm white or black) with clear crystals hanging down from the ceiling on the far left side of the vanity as close to the corner as you can get without it touching anything. This is an awesome look that will reflect lots of light & look very glamorous. I'll post a few photos of this look when I can get them taken.

Take out the long towel bar & use a small round one hung lower since you only need one hand towel for drying hands after washing. If your chandelier is black, then make the towel ring black and the towel black too. If there's room for art, put some black & white art with black frames. Add a black soap dispenser or a few touches of your favorite metallic color (silver/copper/bronze/brass). BTW, brass is making a big comeback, so don't be afraid to use it. It would put a nice warm touch in this room.

Voila! That should not only lighten up the room, but make look larger, add drama & glamour, and feel very refreshing. How does that sound???
February 4, 2013 at 6:56PM     
Keitha
Some tiled wall ideas, however, I agree with EB about the concerns of a tiled wall in such a long narrow space??
February 4, 2013 at 7:05PM     
PRO
NexTrend Design
Another thought: You could eliminate the existing ceiling light fixture totally because you'd have plenty of light from your chandelier. The larger main mirror & side mirrors will double or triple the amount of light from your chandelier. A good handyman or electrician can move the electrical from your existing ceiling light to the left side of your mirror where your chandelier will hang from. These changes will also make the ceiling vent less noticeable.
February 4, 2013 at 7:16PM   
muzenplein
Thanks everyone for your suggestions so far. I wish I could tile the wall but I agree also that it will be difficult with the bulkhead there. I'm not keeping the leafy design. I will definitely be painting it over. The previous owner was pretty creative with this space but the design is not for me. To cover the exposed ductwork she had put a homemade Popsicle birdcage to go with the leaf design. I think will just put drywall around it. NexDesign, it would be great if you can post photos of the chandelier and mirror tile look. I'm having a hard time visualizing it. Thanks for all the ideas so far!
February 4, 2013 at 7:19PM   
Keitha
Here's an idea! What if you install a shelf above the mirror so that the bottom of the shelf lines up with the Bottom of the bulkhead... A nice little storage area for towels. That would create an even ceiling run over the mirror to install a Small tile wall behind the pedestal sink similar to the first photo I sent... giving you the tiled wall you want but on a smaller scale.
February 4, 2013 at 7:20PM     
muzenplein
Thanks keitha for the idea. That could be an option.
February 4, 2013 at 7:28PM   
muzenplein
EB, do you think the mosaic border will work with how the floor widens?
February 4, 2013 at 7:49PM   
aniluap2
The soffit seems rather strange. Is it possible to shift the duct over a bit so it goes straight into the soffit rather than entering on a diagonal? Is there ductwork in the entire soffit or can it be modified?I think I would investigate if I could minimize it in some way as my first step, and if not, then try to work around it. I have a small powder room under the stairs in my home and I have a pretty little scalloped sink hanging of the wall. Since space is tight , I installed a pretty liquid soap dispenser on the wall above the sink ( to the right side so that I could hang a small Venetian mirror above it) if you use unusual fixtures for this small space it will be a little jewel in your home.
February 4, 2013 at 8:23PM   
PRO
EB Interiors
i did not notice the pic you posted on the floor. you can still do a mosiac design. maybe something pretty in the center and a solid color all around to the walls, so it doesnt attract att to the shape of it.
February 4, 2013 at 8:34PM   
Keitha
EB... Is something like this what you had in mind for the floor?
February 4, 2013 at 9:03PM   
PRO
EB Interiors
Keith's i was thinking the design only in the center and then solid all around , not to draw attention to the shape of floor
February 5, 2013 at 12:26PM   
Keitha
Good point!
February 5, 2013 at 6:47PM   
PRO
NexTrend Design
Here are some photos of chandeliers in bathrooms that I took today at the other end of town...
Top Left Photo: Small Powder Room, chandelier off center in right corner, adds plenty of pizzazz to the room.
Top Right & Bottom Left Photo: Chandelier (shown with lights off and on) in right corner with added mirror on right side wall. This multiplies the light reflecting in the mirrors & looks incredibly glamorous.
February 5, 2013 at 9:47PM   
muzenplein
Thanks for posting the pics NexTrend!
February 6, 2013 at 9:32PM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.