Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Exterior colors help!
medice
February 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Our house is a traditional American Foursquare in a very pretty historical neighborhood in Vermont. Aluminum siding is in great shape; shutters are only decorative and there is basically no trim around the windows. We really hate the mustard color (see photo) and want to repaint this summer. Any ideas are welcome and appreciated. We looked at many houses around us and found one few neighborhoods away that looks pretty nice with light shutters and darker house color (see photo). What do you think? Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Archstudio
Darker shade for house with lighter shutters will really bring out the character and look good. You may want to explore colors that will go with the brick as well.
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 9:11PM
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
Love you idea of the new color you pictured below. What color is the house next door? I always look at the neighbors houses to make sure your new color works with their houses for maximum beauty.
2 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 5:42AM
Nancy Hehmann
I love the picture of the blue house with white shutters! I think it would be a great selection!
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 6:06AM
Jayme H.
What color is your aluminum siding? Are u planning to replace it at anytime soon...painting it will lead to some maintenance issues.
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 6:24AM
medice
Jayme, I believe it used to be brown and faded to mustard color.. What would be the maintenance issues? We are open to eventually replacing it but hopefully not for years as the roof will be first needing to be replaced (in 5-10 years).
Thank you everyone for feedback!
I just was worried that our house is not as "fancy" as the blue house as our trim is fairly basic. I do like light shutters with dark color rather than dark shutters on lighter color house..
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 10:00AM
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
Fancy or not, the blue and white are very nice and would like nice on your house too. For painting siding successfully the key is to be sure you start with clean siding. Pressure washing should give you a clean surface for the paint to have good adhesion to the siding. Prep it right and you should be ok.
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 10:21AM
decoenthusiaste
I'm seeing less mustard than you are I guess. Here's a less drastic solution with fewer opportunities to mess up on painting siding.

0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 10:30AM
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
To achieve the look of the blue house on your style house is to have lots of white to offset the blue.
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 11:16AM
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
White railing. White shutters. Ect.
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 11:18AM
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
Look close. Do you see the board on the corner of your house runs vertical to your siding? That would be white too.
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 11:20AM
medice
Sounds good thanks!
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 11:42AM
Jayme H.
I always get concerned when painting aluminum or vinyl is mentioned due to incidence of peeling,etc. So I just recommend getting expert advise on prep and products for the optimal outcomes.
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 7:01PM
medice
Jayme, thank you! We plan on getting a professional hired to actually do the job right.
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 7:50PM
Jayme H.
Good thinking! Hope it works out great...please share with us your results!!
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 5:21AM
Alexandr Kleidman-Kondratiyk
Нужно очень любить этот дом , чтоб в нем жить
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 5:50AM
medice
Любой дом можно преобразить.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 5:52AM
More Discussions
SUNROOM REDO...Need design help
We moved into this house a couple years ago. This Sunroom...
Do you believe that some houses have "bad energy?"
Do you believe that there is just something about some...
Need to buy a table for our new home!
We bought an open concept house (modern) with these...
Which piece of furniture to buy?!
Hi!! We need to buy a piece of furniture to put the...
How did you know you were ready to buy a house?
There are financial considerations, but also logistical...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.