Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Empty living room and wall help
drdotts
February 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi everyone! I am not quite sure which way to go from here with my living room. The couch and chair need to stay, but the rug needs to go into another room. Also, we just purchased the coffee table but the end tables are no longer available. For now, the paint color needs to stay (my husband chose it and it was professionally painted). I have more of a traditional style and the house is a '60's colonial home. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Keitha
What a great room full of charm and character even if you didn't do anything else! I suggest accessorizing with the olive green and black that seems to be the colors in the rug. The blinds aren't very appealing so if possible I would remove them and install simple drapery panels that are functional and could be pulled closed for privacy . Add a few accessories to the coffee table and a great large piece of artwork over the sofa.
February 4, 2013 at 7:47pm     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
You need a colorful patterned rug..from that choose a few colors and use them on the sofa in pillows..maybe a colorful Jacobean pattern. You could also use one of the colors to paint on the back of the shelves on the fireplace wall..a pop color from your new rug. Personally I think the coffee table is too big for the area. I would rather see 2 smaller glass & iron tables and maybe add another chair..smaller to the area..although we can't really tell how much space there is as our back is to it. Hang a very large round mirror over the fireplace. Choose 2 dark wood end tables and add 2 large, interesting lamps..maybe with a large black drum shade. Maybe a pair of large Chinese pots on the little boxes on the sides of the fireplace with a taller green plant in each.
February 4, 2013 at 7:48pm   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
For the windows, simply add drapery panels hung high and off the sides in maybe a natural linen. Similar to your wall color..I would not add another color on the drapes, they are there for the softness they add to the room, let the color come from your rug and pillows.
February 4, 2013 at 7:52pm   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I'm so glad that the matching end tables were not available! That's because we designers prefer to mix the tables instead of matching. In fact, if you put a floor lamp at one end of the sofa, you will need only one end table. Below is one that might work for you.

The second table below would be handy beside the chair. On the floor, you could use some pattern. I like the antique kilim rugs in the photo below, but there are plenty of modern reproduction rugs that come pre-faded and look great. Ask your rug dealer to show you some soumaks that are well priced. Once you select your rug, you can select some pillows in colors from the rug.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Geometric Table Butler Round Accent Table - Vanilla and Cherry PB Found Vintage Kilim Rugs
February 4, 2013 at 8:02pm     
Amy Thompson
It is amazing what ceiling lights can do for a small room like this one. Maybe consider some recessed lighting and full wall bookshelves to take up empty space.
February 4, 2013 at 8:05pm   
Keitha
I love the existing simplicity of the fireplace wall. Accessories with a little more impact would make a difference but if you are envisioning a more colorful room Barbara's ideas are right on!
February 4, 2013 at 8:06pm   
PRO
What's Inside Design Ltd.
Hi there,
I love your space!!!
I had fun adding a little "interest".
Be creative, have fun, and please post after pictures!
Caroline :)
February 4, 2013 at 8:08pm     
Darzy
Yes, I'm so glad the matching end tables were not available! I DO like your new coffee table but it's just so much more interesting to mix things up. How about something like this for your chair? After you select an area rug, you can have fun with pillows and art too.

February 4, 2013 at 8:15pm     
PRO
karen paul interiors
I'm curious to know what is on the other end of your living room and what is in your dining room. As Carolyn stated, it is a good thing your coffee table had no matching end tables! Also, I love the Kilim rugs as suggested by Carolyn. It's amazing what you can do with a room simply by choosing a rug that sets the tone/color palette for the room. Windows need to be addressed AND I've also noted the vents centered on the window. :( Your fireplace wall needs to be addressed as there is so much more you can do there. The not-wide-enough bookcases are a challenge. The lines of your fireplace are interesting. What exactly is on the fireplace wall that is reading horizontal? Wood floors are always nice to have. If you can take some other photos to round out the "picture", that would be very helpful to Houzzers who want to do what they can to make good suggestions.
February 4, 2013 at 8:15pm   
James Buckley
You have a very nice living room to start. If you're moving the rug to another room, then I feel you need to replace its organic nature with something. From what I see is a very geometric and symmetric living room, which is not bad, but to add a cozier, less edgy feel, I would look at soft, rounded accessories. As my quick sketch shows, I would search for an oval or round ottoman/footstool, a pie-crust end table, a pedistal reading lamp and a bright colored pillow to compliment your single upholstered chair. You have a great opportunity to soften your large coffee table with favorite items collected on vacation, etc. look for soft items like a beach rock, a piece of dried sealife, natural organic things, etc. that will break-up the vast grid of its lower shelf.
You have two spaces flanking each side of your fireplace. Think about matching wall sconces symmetrically installed to the left & right of the mantle. A large oil painting of seafarer life (can you tell I am from the coast?) or your favorite subject matter with a large, bold, gilded frame with ornate details will add interest to the eye. While the fireplace is not in use, fill its dark void with a large plant like a fern (you could even go with artificial, they are so lifelike these days). Add another plant or arrangement in a urn on top of your seat (radiator cover?) to the right. Add a plant to the top shelf of the left bookcase and round soft items to the right. A series of colorful paintings behind the sofa will add color too and curtains/drapes that match the colors of the paintings will soften the edge of the window.
February 4, 2013 at 8:23pm     
Elise
You have a lovely room. Put a pop of color inside your bookcases and go for the eclectic look with mismatched furniture. Much more interesting that way - a more collected look. I like the table and rug selections given above. Some lovely silk drapes in a subtle, colored stripe would liven up the window wall.
February 4, 2013 at 8:39pm   
drdotts
Hello everyone. Thank you for the great ideas. Just a little more detail... The fireplace wall is wainscoting. My dominant colors currently are gold and blue, but I am ready for change if that's what you all think. I have also included pics of our dining room chairs that we just purchased and haven't set up yet. I am stumped on rug colors also...I have brought 3 home already! Thanks for your help!
February 5, 2013 at 4:24am   
drdotts
A few more pics...the second pic is of the wall and entryway directly across from the fireplace wall. I have ordered a large gold mirror for the entryway.
February 5, 2013 at 4:44am