Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Baseboards? Option 1 or 2?
mghncnnllyhpt
February 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are remodeling the downstairs of our house. The new floor will be a natural shade of cork that has some great designs in it. The walls will be painted a pale grey as will the entire upstairs, which has original 1940 hardwood floor. The downstairs has a decent amount of natural light, but the ceiling is a bit low. The upstairs has white baseboards that are comprised of 3 pieces of wood all the way around. Overall, the decor of the house is industrial chic. The downstairs is a TV room, office and walk in closet/utility room. Question....which baseboard option do you think is better? 1) White baseboards to match the rest of the house or 2) Simple baseboards painted the same color as the walls.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
courtneysal82
Option 1
4 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 8:59PM
momsie8
I agree. Option 1 to match the rest of the house.
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 9:03PM
lefty47
HI --Option 2 - but only because it is the basement . If you painted the baseboards the color of the walls then that would help with the low ceilings look , and also painting the ceiling the same color as the walls. If you don't notice where the ceiling ends and the wall begins then you won't notice how low the ceilings are.
2 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 9:18PM
PRO
Melissa Doan - Weidel Realtors - New Hope
Gorgeous original floor and nice comfy carpet... spacious closet - great cozy space! I'd stay traditional with option 1. .. can't go really wrong with traditional.
1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 9:36PM
Jayme H.
Option one...I like the look better and it will flow with the rest of the house.
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 10:05PM
princess_q
I would go with Option 1 because it will unite the upper and lower space. Doing something different shows that you did the house in stages.
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 10:15PM
PRO
JWinteriors
Option 1.
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 12:02AM
mghncnnllyhpt
Thanks for voting everyone! My initial thought was to do the white baseboards to match the rest of the house, but this space is very different. Upstairs has a vaulted ceiling with exposed beams. Also, I was thinking that the wall color, fixtures and decor would tie the house together enough. What do you think?
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 8:10AM
bojaby
II really like the idea of using the wall color for the baseboard, walls and ceiling. This will draw the eye up without any cut-off lines that would draw attention to the low ceiling. I am in the process of remodeling my basement and thank you for the idea. II have light grey walls through the upstairs and love it. I am sick of the tan, cream and taupe walls that are everywhere. Grey is a neutral and gives a very different feel to a room.
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 8:23AM
Jayme H.
Wide baseboard goes well in rooms like the pic u posted. I think either would work. I have a thing for wider trim...I have seen it used in new construction and think it just adds character to a room.
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 9:02AM
pitbulls
OPTION 1. PRETTY SPACE!
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 9:22AM
mobwife
option 1 and i wouldn't paint the ceiling the same color.
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 9:35AM
Dirt Digger
Since the area is completely separate from the rest of the house and the ceilings are low, go with baseboards painted the same color as the walls and do a white ceiling...white painted baseboards definitely do not say "industrial chic".
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 9:45AM
PRO
Paulson's Construction, Inc
Option 1
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 10:00AM
decoenthusiaste
Can you wait and see? I'd want to put a sample of each up and see what the visual effect is? Does it lower the ceiling to use white and draw a distinct line? Does the ceiling seem higher when all is painted the same? I think I'd do all but install the baseboard, to determine which is best.
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 10:03AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I guess 1 but your room moldings do not look or sound like industrial chic in the least.
2 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 10:10AM
lefty47
HI -- I see most of the comments are for the option 1 BUT seeing that the basement is very seperate - it does NOT need to be like the rest of the house . I have painted ceilings the same color of the walls and it looks great . It's a common trick if the ceilings are low or the ceiling line is not even or if it's a small room like a bathroom . I have done this in my basement and my main floor bathroom and my master ,and having the baseboards the same color as the walls is a more modern look. You can then have the industrial look with your furniture and not with the house features .Once you get your furniture in place , nobody is going to be looking at your base boards anyway and even less so if they don't stand out .If your space was an industrial loft or a modern house lets say , it would probably not even have baseboards .So try my ideas , and later if it doesn't look or feel right to you after a while , then you can paint whatever white . But I bet you will like it though ! Ceilings and trims now don't always have to be white - that's just old fashioned thinking .
3 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 11:06AM
judianna20
Option 2 because it is a basement; because it is more contemporary in feel.

1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 11:13AM
PRO
mdm Design Logic
Option 1 - match the rest of the house. Baseboards are trim, which means they should be noticeable, not camouflaged.
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 11:16AM
mobwife
absolutely, i agree with mdm design logic
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 12:03PM
kmarsek
We have a small baseboard trim running throughout our modern townhouse, no window trim or crown molding. I originally thought to match the color to the walls, but then I'd have to repaint them anytime I change a room color. I want to avoid baseboards that become caked with paint. Also, we're using oil based paint on the trim, and I don't want to have to deal with oil paint if I decide to change a wall color. Therefore, we're painting the baseboards, door trim and doors Benjamin Moore White Dove OC-17 semi-gloss throughout. We're also painting the stairs. The only room that has a different color baseboard is our media room, which is painted a very dark brown. I thought it would look funny to have white dove baseboards in that room. It's the only room on the lower level, so I think it'll be fine.
0 Likes   March 5, 2013 at 8:47AM
Grace Reed
I know it's unusual, but I'm going to against the grain and vote for option 2 and lefty's suggestions. Plus, do I hear a hint of this being your preference also? Bottom line, do what makes you happy.
1 Like   March 5, 2013 at 11:35AM
groveraxle
I think lefty nailed it.
1 Like   March 5, 2013 at 11:57AM
More Discussions
Feeling crazy with throw pillow confusion! Please vote!!
Hey guys..need your help and vote because you guys...
Need help with this room
I am not sure what to do with this room that goes out...
Need help with my bathroom
Cannot decide between black or white.
Need to choose a stain by tomorrow for red oak floors!!
We had someone put in solid red oak flooring, and I'm...
Need ideas for my entry!!
In my new 1924 home, I have a long narrow entry with...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.