Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Too much cedar!
08esther88
February 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I bought this home knowing, I was going to do something to get rid of these cedar walls. Now that I am here, I don't know what to to!! These walls span from the living room, up the stairs, and into the second floor hallway. What do think think I can do to tone down the cabin fever effect? I'm starting in pieces my first focus area is the living room.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jayme H.
Were u planning to paint it or rip it out?
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 10:16PM
08esther88
I am not sure what I want to do now. I don't think i want to paint it. Initially, I want to rip it off... But I find beauty in the golden Ceder. My problem, it's overwhelming!
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 10:19PM
Jayme H.
You could leave the lower part and paint the top? Or leave the fireplace wall cedar and take out the rest? Or paint the tops of the side walls...leave the lower half of walls and fireplace wall cedar.
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 10:42PM
jlbsideas
It is little busy. It's hard to tell, are those horizontal panels at the lower half of the walls? against vertical panels above?. Also, what is on either side of the fireplace? What if you put the big screen TV across from your couch and paint the walls around the fireplace a light shade, either painting over the paneling or remove the Cedar paneling completely and put bookshelves on either side all the way up and make the fireplace a focal point somehow.....hmmm this is a tough one......lovely paneling but it is too much of it.....Would love to see the walls lighter.
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 10:57PM
Jayme H.
I really wonder if leaving the fireplace wall cedar, painting the top of the rest would work out....
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 5:16AM
PRO
Kandrac & Kole Interior Designs, Inc.
We know it's hard to convince yourself to bite the bullet and paint that beautiful wood, but we have done several renovations with clients who have wood paneling and end up loving the result. One of our favorites was a living room that we painted this beautiful creamy gray color. It completely changes the space and gives a fresh palette to allow you to decorate the rest of the space however you want!
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 7:38AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I love what Kandrac & Kole Interior Designs, Inc.has done in that picture. This is hard for me to say because I love cedar. But I would do that painted look.
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 7:43AM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
I like they creamy gray room as well...but putting a few coats of paint on the cedar paneling isn't going to get that done. Tearing off the cedar and reverting to drywall will get the room heading in that direction...followed by a lot of trim carpentry and painting, new floors and furnishings. But tearing off the cedar means blank slate and our questioner can open up to other alternatives that work with the rest of the house with a minimum of tearing up and redoing (BTW, your slideshow is not viewable for me on houzz, don't know if anyone else is having that problem). I'll go to Redfin to view, but keeping it on one site helps.
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 8:16AM