Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help in my poorly-designed living room
wsalinas47
February 5, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We built our home three years ago, and my husband and I have learned we were definitely not home designers. When we enter our home, it feels awkward and uninviting. Here are the following problems I see with the room:
1. We did not design a foyer (thinking it would be inefficient and unnecessary).
2. To make matters worse, every wall has a window, a door, or an opening.
3. We recently purchased a living room set in leather, and we put our old sofas anywhere we thought they fit. I think the larger sofa fits nice under the window, but the smaller one clearly does not have room by the door. I am planning to buy slip covers to reduce all the brown in the room.
4. Because we have a nine-month old, he moves everywhere, and I know we need sofa tables, but I need something that will not make the room feel cluttered but is still safe for a baby crawling/walking around.
5. Our tv console is not the prettiest and was an impulsive buy. I have considered moving it to one of the bedrooms and ordering a custom entertainment center. Your thoughts?
Of course, the room has many more problems, but let's try to tackle these first. We are open to small construction (moving walls, etc.), but we are doing other projects outside so I would like a fix that's faster and less expensive than involving a construction crew. How can I make this room less awkward?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi wsalinas47. I think the first step is to get rid of the couch by the door and pull the couch by the window in a bit.

I don't think the room is really awkward - it just needs some color. I'd change the rug but since you have a 9 month old, I wouldn't invest in anything too expensive, just something colorful.

I can't tell the color of the walls - they look blue on my screen - are they blue?

Also - does this need to be the tv room or do you have another room for that?

Not having a foyer is not ideal, but it is still ok. The wall by the door could use some sprucing up - take up more of that space. You could also move the big couch in a bit and put a table behind it, though that might be too crowded - depends on the measurements.

I'll be back w/some photo ideas. Have a great day!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
February 5, 2013 at 4:36am   
michigammemom
Your old upholstered pieces need to find a new home. The placement of the loveseat in front of the door and the sofa in the entryway are awkward and they don't fit into the conversation area you have created with your pretty area rug and new leather seating. It also looks like your leather loveseat is directly in front of another doorway. Could you post additional photos or a sketch of your room configuration so that houzzers can better understand your space?
February 5, 2013 at 5:00am     
PRO
the essentials inside
Sorry - forgot there were 2 extra couches. Yes agree w/michigammemom - both need to find a new home. The other couch by the other window should be moved in.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
February 5, 2013 at 5:22am