powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen design.....please weigh in on new design!
nelsons2012
February 5, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Everyone here has been so helpful.....please weigh in on thoughts on this layout. I have no significant concerns. "Below" the table are sliding glass doors to deck. Parallel with the table is the family room with fireplace etc. Thoughts?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Aggie Purvinska
So no windows only the french door at the end? Is that a single column? This is no good, the island is odd and too far and the U shape is really nit contributing, and the fridge there is not at it's optimal locations, this needs a complete switcheroo. So you have a plan view with adjacent rooms? Can you post it. Sharpie is ready.
February 5, 2013 at 7:19am   
nelsons2012
P.S. if hard to read the plan, the distance from sink to edge of island is almost 73 inches, and other working aisle is 42 inches. Thanks for feedback!
February 5, 2013 at 7:21am   
Aggie Purvinska
I can see that and it is not practical. You may have to incorporate the column with an island and maybe not turn the corner in the U shape, or if you do, some very shallow tall storage there, etc. This needs work, it's much easier even for us the designer types to see the entire picture. If you want feedback you need to give info.
February 5, 2013 at 7:25am   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I like it though I would make the island longer toward the cabinet end of the kitchen. That area seems to be wasted space.
February 5, 2013 at 7:28am   
nelsons2012
Here is the rest of the plan. It is a townhome so there are limitations....column can't move, no window in kitchen, and we tried to incorporate the column in island but it makes the rooms feel very chopped up. The rest of plan will probably be tough to read, but here it is.....I do unfortunately have limitations, but such is life! Trying to find best solution within reality of my space......thanks
February 5, 2013 at 7:31am   
nelsons2012
Interior internationals.....thx, the limitation with extending it is the fridge, and we would have to make the main work aisle where range is etc would have to become slightly less than 40 inches. That is the struggle with this kitchen! Trying to figure out which trade-off is best.....
February 5, 2013 at 7:34am   
mmilos
Do you have a window over your sink? Consider adding an additional prep sink to the island.

If the problem extending the island further is the fridge location, I would consider moving your wall oven or pantry to that location, or making it an L-shaped kitchen. Move your fridge to the end where the pantry is now. Put the sink in the island. This would create a smaller, more efficient work triangle. 36" for a non-work aisle is standard. 42" for a work aisle.
February 5, 2013 at 7:51am   
nelsons2012
No window because its a townhouse. Would have loved to put fridge where wall oven is but even though counter depth it shrinks that work aisle.......ugh. This is so hard! Thx for the ideas.
February 5, 2013 at 8:04am   
nelsons2012
Here is the other option....posted it a few days ago, took feedback from these boards and kitchen designer came up with the option posted at beginning of this thread.
February 5, 2013 at 8:08am   
Aggie Purvinska
Here is how I see it, U shape eliminated, Island Shape Changed to L, Column Incorporated, Fridge Moved to the other side, more breathing room, better flow. Sink needs to move in with this design 3 feet or so.
February 5, 2013 at 8:14am   
nelsons2012
Aggie designs...Thanks, a little hard to read. Let me be sure I get it. Move fridge to where pantry is? Sink moves 3 feet to left of where it is now on same wall?
February 5, 2013 at 8:18am   
Aggie Purvinska
Yes, Fridge to where the pantry is, but like a 18" wide pantry can stay next to fridge, ovens move to the other end, but not in a U Shape, just the same wall as cooktop. No more U Shape. And sink moves to the right however much it needs to for comfort and you have to fit a dishwasher, may need to be on the left.
February 5, 2013 at 8:20am   
Aggie Purvinska
Sink is not where your new plans says it is, it's where the old plan says it is.

I am working off the old plan, the new plan is scrapped, sorry Home Depot;)
February 5, 2013 at 8:27am   
nelsons2012
When you say old plan, do you mean the one posted originally with this post?
February 5, 2013 at 9:08am   
PRO
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
if you do fridge by wall ovens instead of pantry, then where fridge was, do a shallow pantry area, so your island can increase in size you will solve the majority of your problem!!!! Try for a shallow depth model. box the fridge so it looks more built in. you'll have to adjust the spacing of cabinets along stove top wall, but plenty of room to make it fit. It really is a generous kitchen for a townhome. Senior Designer~ urbana kitchens.
February 5, 2013 at 9:31am     
PRO
the revised plan posted is good... will work too! Just be careful of the corner unit by fridge... door might not open as I advised previously as fridge is very deep.
February 5, 2013 at 9:32am   
nelsons2012
Hi Ellen, the house is about 3500 square feet, so we have space, it is just awkward. When you the revised plan is good, do you mean the one posted at the beginning of thread with smaller island but bigger work aisles, or the one with larger island and smaller 40 inch work aisle where oven range etc is right now? We do have counter depth refrigerator and end panels planned for all open ends, regardless of what ends up going there. Thanks!
February 5, 2013 at 9:36am   
Aggie Purvinska
No the old plan you posted after I requested the whole floor plan.
February 5, 2013 at 9:56am   
Aggie Purvinska
Here is how I see it...
February 7, 2013 at 9:15am     
nelsons2012
AggieDesigns....any chance you would hazard a guess as to How much space between butcher block end of island and cook top in your design? Thanks again!!
February 8, 2013 at 5:39am     
PRO
Your plan at top of this post is quite workable. I also like what Aggie has proposed. Little further from dining from serving, but the island is nice shape & gives you many options for using for eating as well as buffet meals.
February 8, 2013 at 10:33pm   
Aggie Purvinska
I think it's at 54" or so, I think I didn't want to crowd it too much, kind of aligned it with the wall to the right for better flow, but it could go further in another 6-10"..
February 10, 2013 at 12:41pm   
Aggie Purvinska
Also another thought, another pull out trash bin could be under the knife drawer under the butcher block for speedy food prep.
February 10, 2013 at 12:49pm   
nelsons2012
I actually love more space there at the "top" of the kitchen....it's not such a big kitchen that its too much, and I like a little space! Thanks again......
February 10, 2013 at 4:14pm     
nelsons2012
So....husband just won't budge on having island come out from pillar that is required structurally. We have taken the advice to get rid of the U shape....thanks to everyone who commented on that! I do like the aisle width here. Range cant move because that is only place where hood can be vented from.m so lots of limitations, but i think our layout is getting better without the U. What I am worried about is lots of different size upper cabinets. They will go to ceiling with glass on the "toppers" for the uppers. Any final thoughts before we sign off with builder would be much appreciated!
February 16, 2013 at 9:42am   
nelsons2012
Here is one more photo to give a sense of various cabinet sizes. Island will have big drawers and microwave drawer.
February 16, 2013 at 9:44am   
Aggie Purvinska
Hi there just a few points..

1)What cabinet line are you using, it seems like whoever is laying it out is steering you away from expensive cabinets into a stock line. Which is fine, but may not allow the best options? What is the budget?
2) Are you going to be OK with a 30” Cooktop, it will have 4 burners. If you are a big cook, it may not be enough (you may want to simmer on two, cook on two and shuffle on the off ones, etc, 36” 6 burner is just soooo much more convenient,
3)You could potentially chase the hood vent at the upper cabinets and it may not be a big problem at all, I would like to see cooktop closer to ovens and sink closer to fridge,
4)If you don’t design with upper cabinets in mind, the top row glass cabinets will look like an afterthought. If the top row of cabs is a priority, it needs to be designed with upper cabinet priority (remember bases don’t need to align with uppers, they need to of course, be the same length in the end, but they don’t have to be 24” Base, 24” Wall above, no ifs ends or buts.
5)Cooktop should probably have a Drawer Base Below, so much more convenient to store pots and pans in that.
6)Island may need to have more functionality in mind, when designing, what about mixer lift, dry goods storage, paper towel storage, bar tools, maybe Wine cooler?
7)I like the new layout, but whoever is rushing you is obviously not a big cook, and if you are, you need to take a step back and decide how you want this built and these thousands of dollars spent.
8)I will, when I have time later try to draw with upper cabinet priority to show what I mean.
February 18, 2013 at 8:20am   
PRO
1) nudge fridge over to left to make pantry single door, then leaves more room left of stove.

2) make a solid short cabinet over range to divert the connection point so either side can match. That is most critical area as more or less a focal point with the accent hood and all. (each side 33")

3) ovens lesser used item, so fine in corner

4) agree with Aggie.. definite for big drawers under cooktop. So much easier

5) consider one wider top light door, flip up instead of pair of doors. less busy & not so critical to be all the same sizes. Also, easier to see what is actually up there.

It is looking good overall

Senior Designer~Urbana, Victoria, BC
February 18, 2013 at 9:11pm   
nelsons2012
Hi Aggie and Ellen, thanks for these thoughts; making progress!
February 20, 2013 at 4:25am     
PRO
Anderson Designs
I would switch the sink and the cooktop. This would get the sink closer to the mess when cleaning up and create more of a focal point with the cooktop. I would also switch the ovens with the refrigerator this will keep the cooking area together and also get the refrigerator closer to where it is more accessible. When framing out sink and cooktops, try to have the cabinets on either side more symmetrical (ex. If the cabinet to the right is 30" wide double door then the cabinet to the left should be a 30" double door or a 15" single door, so that the size of the doors are the same. Hope this helps.
February 20, 2013 at 6:59am   
Lori
on all the base cabinets I would do big drawers. They are so much more practical and useful.
Everything is easier to reach and it's very usable. I like the new layout much better.
February 20, 2013 at 7:10am   
nelsons2012
Thanks to everyone....design is finally done! Symmetry in cabinets, big drawers. Feedback has been so helpful.
February 21, 2013 at 2:16pm     
More Discussions
Ceiling Fans - Yay or Nay?
Are you a fan of ceiling fans? (See what I did there?...
Need help on how to improve our curb appeal
Needs new siding. Thinking bout walk-out deck to the...
Help with a bedroom
We just remodeled this bedroom. I love the bedding...
What should we do with these beams?
We just purchased this house which is getting a huge...
Is this clock too small? or too high?
Ignore the candles I plan to change them, just not...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.