Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help picking kitchen countertops for Black Cabinets
Christine Graves
February 5, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have approx. 35 sq feet of countertops that I need, I have a budget of about 2 grand (installed) and I'd like to brighten this kitchen up with light colored countertops but I'm worried if I try and match the floor it won't lighten this kitchen up enough. Are there any decor formulas that will help me or should I just price marble and hope it's in my budget?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
judianna20
Is that granite on your countertop now? If so, leave it and paint your cabinets white or a very light color. New granite will not make the change you want.

1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 8:47AM
pitbulls
I like your dark cabinets.I would probably look at a cream color countertop. Solid suface quartz type product. I would then paint the wall a creamy color also.
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 8:57AM
feeny
White or cream.
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 8:58AM
PRO
Frances Temple-West Architect
Look at the variety of whites offered by Corian and Caesarstone. If possible, consider an undermount stainless steel sink.
2 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 9:49AM
PRO
Christine Bhe, Bhe Design LLC
For your budget, you should be able to find someone who can do a light granite if you really shop around. The lighter the better, don't try to match the floor. Quartz and other solid surface products will blow your budget. Here is chart with some products pricing. I also agree to invest in an under-mount stainless steel sink. It will look good and perform beautifully.
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 10:03AM
PRO
Stoneshop
A light colored granite would look beautiful, and be the most cost effective. Since your kitchen is on the smaller side, you should be able to find a granite shop that could do this for under $2000. Look into the colors Kashmir White and Colonial Cream.
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 10:20AM
Stacy Schoen_Laux
You also may want to try Granite color: cold Spring. We just used it on our black cabinets looks great. Bianco Antico is also nice.
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 10:28AM
PRO
Twisted Minds Custom Designs
Have you considered going with concrete countertops. With a kitchen of your size, I would be able to do it for under $2,000, and depending on where you live, I'm sure a local concrete artisan would be able to meet your budget also. I believe concrete would be a great fit with your kitchen design, looks very rustic, you could incorporate that in the countertop design, and with concrete your color choices are virtually endless. If you are in my area, or have any questions regarding concrete, I'd be glad to try and answer them, or use the find local pros selection bar to find a local artisan, who I'm sure would gladly talk with you about your project. Also feel free to visit my profile page for some ideas on incorporating concrete into your plans.
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 1:41PM