powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
New home plain kitchen. Ideas on a budget? It's open to family room.
tinatimenow
February 5, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Plain kitchen open to family room
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Eagledzines
Not sure of your question. Are you asking what it would cost to replace it or modify it? If modify it, what did you have in mind?
February 5, 2013 at 8:01pm   
tinatimenow
I guess decorating ideas thinking back splash and island lights?
Just so boring looking. Ideas for on top of cabinets? Not a fan of the fake plants.
February 5, 2013 at 8:36pm   
PRO
Eagledzines
Painting the room might make enough of a difference to satisfy and is very ecomical. Try one thing at a time and as the budget allows before you make a lot of changes. About the island, yes, drop lights would look great. Your kitchen looks light enough but drop lights would help you to incorporate some color. I would remove the plants near the window. It doesn't look like a place condusive to growing plants and if you paint, you might find that you don't want/need anything else above the cabinets. A roman shade hung at the height of the top of the cabinets would look great. If you want to do more, you might consider painting the island a different color that harmonizes. A new countertop would be a major expenditure. After the above changes think about whether just adding a backsplash would be enough. Here are some ideas for a backsplash. Emperador Dark Blend Mosaic Polished Glass Tile
Studio 164
Iceland Linear | Anatolia Bliss Mosaic Tile
Sophia, Talya Collection by Sara Baldwin for Marble Systems
February 5, 2013 at 9:15pm     
tinatimenow
Counter tops are corian don't have close up these are realtor photos.
February 5, 2013 at 9:43pm   
orangecamera
I think you could do something interesting with the desk area. You could paint the desk cabinet a different color, to make it look more like it's a completely different piece of furniture and not the same as your cabinets. Change the hardware to something different on just those drawers. And if you're replacing the countertops...do something different on the desk (and no 4" backsplash...desks don't have backsplashes).

You can wallpaper the area between it and the upper cabinet. (Putting cork board there is a popular thing to do, but I think it just creates a messy cluttered look.). If not wallpaper, then a different color paint than the rest of the kitchen. I'd put a mirror on that wall, because I find it uncomfortable to be sitting just staring at a wall.
February 5, 2013 at 9:58pm     
tinatimenow
What about cabinet hardware? What would help update kitchen?
February 25, 2013 at 8:21am   
PRO
Eagledzines
Yes, that certainly would help and would be easier on the budget than other things. Before giving you any suggestions on hardware, have you made any decisions on other products or colors yet?

Drapes would also help to bring in some color. You mentioned that these pictures were from the realtor (I hadn't noticed that when I commented on the plants). Can you post pictures of furnishings you plan to use? Or are you purchasing that new?
February 25, 2013 at 10:09am     
tinatimenow
We move in in three weeks so will post pics with my stuff in it then. Was wondering what is considered a up to date cabinet hardware kinda liking the long handles.
February 25, 2013 at 11:47am   
PRO
Eagledzines
They look great. If you go up to the black bar at the top and type in knobs or pulls in the search box you be able to get some nice images. The style and finish that works really depends on your style, especially where it's an open concept.
February 25, 2013 at 11:52am     
PRO
A Crew of Two
What you have is a model kitchen/living space, but it has amazing potential. Something that bothers me personally is having two different floors. Do you have time or budget to replace the flooring? If not it isn't a disaster, just bringing it up. I do not like two different floors in open concept rooms. Are you leaning towards traditional, contemporary, country...what is your personal style. This space is very neutral- so you could do so much to make it yours. The fireplace needs some TLC- make it a focal point in the room by painting it a darker color. .
I am not sure what colors you prefer, but neutral is always a good bet on the walls for such a large space. Add your colors in accessories. Texture is always good, it adds warmth and interest without being fussy. Hang lights over the island. I think large handles will look odd on the cabinets- the cabinets are more traditional, but there are some cool options out there. Find a metal tone you like- nickle is very on trend, but still has that traditional look to go with your home.
February 25, 2013 at 1:09pm     
PRO
Poggenpohl Atlanta
There are a number of easy and inexpensive ways to begin to update this kitchen. As another professional suggested, paint it. Color will add the first layer to the kitchen. Definitely put in a backsplash and coordinate it with the wall colors and countertop. I would include the backsplash in the desk area to keep the line going around the room. Adding an area rug or two will give you another color layer and a chance to incorporate your personality and style. Hardware and lighting can be expensive but worth the cost, especially the lighting since the kitchen is open to a living space. You have raised panel doors so be careful when considering long rod handles. Size and placement are important. Buy a couple of samples at the store and take them home before buying an entire suite. If you like a European look, there are various backsplash accessories available on the market. Ikea has a great backsplash rail system for hanging accessories. Ditch the plants and leave the tops of the cabinets open. New barstools could be fun.
February 25, 2013 at 1:31pm     
PRO
A Crew of Two
Choose your fabrics based on your personal style. This space is going to be amazing.
February 25, 2013 at 1:39pm     
PRO
A Crew of Two
Love these tile looks
February 25, 2013 at 1:45pm     
tinatimenow
These photos realtor stage. I would say I'm contemporary style.
My furniture is black and white. I accent with lime green an just a bit of yellow. Love Grey for accents also. Already got these pendants. Three for over island.
February 25, 2013 at 1:49pm     
PRO
Eagledzines
@Poggenpohl Atlanta--Sorry to crash this thread. I just have to say how much I LOVE your cabinets. Okay. Back to tinatimenow.
February 25, 2013 at 2:08pm     
PRO
Eagledzines
@tinatimenow--I'm looking forward to seeing your furniture in. It will be easier moving ahead from there. Nice pendants. Very contemporary. Congratulations on your new home!
February 25, 2013 at 2:28pm     
PRO
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
Fortunately you've got some simple surfaces. The decorative elements can be more personal. Wall colour, tile, accessories, drop light fixtures, hardware can all give a sense of style. The example photos shared will give you the idea.

Focus on one item you love as a starting point... like a beautiful piece of art, carpet or tile... then build the other items with that family of colour & style in mind.
February 25, 2013 at 2:30pm     
5katiebird
An interesting backsplash with a patern or multi colored would really give this whole space some personality. Neutrals seem to me like they would be a good choice here. Stone shades such as grays and/or browns mixed with whites. Thats coming from a color lover. You have other less permenant places to add and accent with color over time.
After that I would paint the tall wall the fridge and desk are on a darker shade matched to the color in the backsplash.
As for the island, maybe you could cover it with bead board (or not) and either way paint it a lighter shade from the backsplash.
I would not clutter up the tops of your cabinets. There is something to be said for clean flat surface. Why we always feel the need to fill them up drives me crazy. The tops of cabinets are for collecting dust, not for showing off your dust on your stuff.
Lastly, Don't be afraid to check out Ikea for cabinets. We did our whole kitchen in them 2 years ago and saved a ton of money. My husband is a builder and he was amazed at the warenty and quality as well as how ridiculously easy they were to instal. Be choosy and look at how the showroom ones wear to get an idea. The appliances all came with better warranties than they did from other places. The sink and fauset were a fail. Cheep stainless. We decided to splurge on a nice backsplash and floor from elsewhere for personality and so the whole space didn't scream, ikea!
Good luck. Hope this was helpful.
February 25, 2013 at 5:27pm     
PRO
Eagledzines
I agree with Ellen Crystal. Pick one favorite piece to build a plan around.
The colors you already use, lime green and yellow and the neutrals black and white sound great.
February 25, 2013 at 5:59pm     
PRO
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
-- re-reading some of earlier post----long handles are going to be a problem when you are dealing with knobs already drilled in center of drawer fronts. ...... look at the big picture first, then the little details
February 25, 2013 at 6:03pm     
PRO
Eagledzines
Is flooring a possibility for change or will that be definitely staying?
February 25, 2013 at 9:03pm     
tinatimenow
House is new so wont be able to change cabinets even color, flooring or counters. Thanks for all the input! I will post pics soon with my stuff.
February 25, 2013 at 9:43pm   
PRO
Eagledzines
You might try a very large piece of artwork over the desk area.
Paint and throw pillows are really the cheapest option.

Here are some stools for a do-it-yourself-er from IKEA. Really neat idea. At least once a year Jo-Ann Fabric has a sale on their upholstery material. They also have remnants during the during the year (but I'd wait for their sale).
http://myprojectbag.blogspot.com/2012/06/upholstered-ikea-stools.html
February 26, 2013 at 7:26am     
tt67
I agreed with earlier person suggesting hardware. I also like huge platters or wrought iron pieces above. I put gorgeous, but useable, things above. If I need a ridiculously large platter once a year....it is doubling as decoration the rest of the time by sitting on an easel above my cabinets.
February 26, 2013 at 9:17am     
PRO
Eagledzines
I would change the hardware only if at some point, painting the cabinets becomes a possibility (a warm gray). Then the holes could be filled and longer pulls could be used.
February 26, 2013 at 10:54am