Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Window Treatment Help
Kalie L
February 5, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are in the process of ordering woven wood shades (hobbled roman) for our master bedroom and curtains. The question I have is, since we have 3 windows all in one section, do we order 3 separate shades of the same design for each individual window or one big one to cover all 3 windows. Initially our designer and I had decided to do 3 separate ones, but now they are saying we should do 1, so I'm not sure what I should do. The price difference is minimal. This is the window and the wood shades to get an idea of the space and material. Please excuse the picture, it was from when we first moved in.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
mcbride2304
One shade can be cumbersome to lift up and down straining the hardware over time but with 3 it's difficult to get all 3 shades at the same level unless you will raise them completely up or down...halfway up or down you can drive yourself crazy trying to get them even.
February 5, 2013 at 12:03pm   
Dee Gould
Hi..the woven woods you have choesn are beautiful...my husband is in the window covering business...3 woven woods..otherwise the weight of one very large shade will be extremely heavy! Getting them even is much less a problem than the weight issue...not sure why a designer would suggest a single shade, surely she/he is aware this issue...as a designer never would i suggest one... Another thing please go with the very best you can afford, the quality is important..go with custom so sizing is correct..a little extra expense does make a major difference..good luck with what ever you decide
February 5, 2013 at 3:31pm     
cutemonster
I think trouser length cutains would be nice on that window. It would give the room some romance.
February 5, 2013 at 3:53pm   
decoenthusiaste
For versatility of raising and lowering just one or two of the windows, go with individual ones. Sag might be expected with a heavy single shade of this width.
February 5, 2013 at 4:00pm   
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
Are you only putting blinds or are you also adding panels to the sides or some other fabric treatment?
February 5, 2013 at 4:24pm   
Kalie L
We are adding panels on each side also.
February 5, 2013 at 4:43pm   
PRO
Lagnappe Custom Interiors
The 3 shades would be nice fitted inside the window frame, but useing 1 big shade would allow you to hang the shade a lot higher than the top of your window frame. Hanging the shade high creates the illusion that your window is larger than it really is and when the shade is up you don't block any of the natural light comeing into the room as a stack of roman shade can. Place one big curtain rod over the top and your drapery panels on the sides and all of a sudden your window will appear huge! I wouldn't be too worried about raising and lowering the shade if the manufacturer feels comfortable makeing it in that size. You can also ask for a continuous cord loop system to raise and lower that makes it al lot easier!
February 5, 2013 at 4:54pm     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
3 shades 1 will be really heavy.
February 5, 2013 at 5:03pm   
Kalie L
We will be adding the panels after I see what the shades look like installed, and those will be from tray ceiling to floor to make the window look bigger. That's about the only thing I know about designing window treatments ;) We decided to go with the 3 individual shades and I appreciate everyone's input to help make this decision! This room has only had new bedding added to it since we moved in, so we have a lot of work to go in here!
February 5, 2013 at 6:53pm     
PRO
Persona Blinds
Depending on the width, if you really want it as 1 blind you can order it with a Continuous Cord-loop Control (making sure you use a hold-downs at the bottom of the loop for safety!). This takes the stress off the components, help you avoid light gaps between the blinds in your bedroom as well as trying to keep all three blinds at even heights. If it is mounted into a solid spot, the weight shouldn't be an issue. Requesting a center support can keep the blind from sagging in the center as well. If privacy is an issue, try requesting an attached privacy or blackout liner (even though with the sample it looks like a relatively closed weave) as people will be able to see in through that blind at night if you have a light on in your bedroom.
February 6, 2013 at 3:06pm   
bumbles12
I think maybe one blind otherwise you may get light gaps? Something to really consider especially since it is a bedroom.
Will you have the blind fitted inside the windw frame or outside on the frame?
The blinds you have chosen seem very dark?
Have you considered a Roman blind ?
February 6, 2013 at 3:12pm   
bumbles12
Ps it is a very nice window shape.
February 6, 2013 at 3:14pm   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
In this case, I agree with "Lagnappe Custom Interiors" I would do 1 shade, mounted above the window with drapery panels hung on each side off the window just covering the edges. When they are open you would not raise them all the way up..just enough to leave the top frame covered so the window looks really big. Also, make sure you have the lined. I have woven woods this size on my lanai and I can lift them quite easily. If you do individual ones there will always be light coming in around the edges.
February 6, 2013 at 3:20pm     
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
Absolutely one shade. Ask for it with a clutch control and lifting is no problem. 3 is a downright nuisance as they will never be at the same level. When you get around to it add drapery panels over the window...they can be stationary only.
February 6, 2013 at 3:42pm   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
From the looks of it your window looks quite large I would recommend going with 3 blinds with 1 head rail at the top. This way you ensure that the blinds are not too heavy to lift . By putting 1 large blind you run the risk of the blind being very heavy and the cord would break more often.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/
February 6, 2013 at 3:43pm     
PRO
Shades of Light
The answers above all get to the issues.
The question you need to ask yourself is "how do you intend to use them?" -And given the issues what is more important to you? The problem here is the same for many of the "blind-Type" window treatments. a)" One Big Blind" across that space: Negative: mighty heavy to raise and lower. And the strings will "fray"... -And quickly, if you don't do it properly... and virtually no one does. However, maybe you have no intentions of raising the blinds except on rare occasions? B) three individual blinds... side by side. Negative: they are not going to line up perfectly... one slat to the next, from blind to blind? Do you care? Some it would drive crazy... others could care less. Also, there needs to be a small gap between the blinds. Is there a serious "privacy issue" you need to be concerned about? -Because if there is there is a good chance someone will be able to see in the window. -And then there is that "pesty" center cord. Some it drives crazy.... some people, it's not an issue.

The scary thing is we haven't even addressed the issue of whether you desire an inside mount or outside mount. -And that sometimes is the most important aesthetic issue of all. It's not about price... it's about form and function. How are you going to use the blind? -And if you must compromise the look you want to get the function you need are you going to be happy?
With all the answers people have given you above, I think you can open up this conversation with your designer. He or she has put eyes on the total project and should be able to expertly guide you through this decision but what do I know, I'm in the lighting business!
February 6, 2013 at 3:51pm   
PRO
What is the width of your window? One shade will NOT be hard to lift...whether inside or outside mount.
February 6, 2013 at 3:55pm   
PRO
Shades of Light
Hey Julie, your right! I assumed they were full sized single width windows... they very well may not be?
Good question... eyes on project AND/OR smart questions will help you through.
February 6, 2013 at 4:00pm   
PRO
Shades of Light...do you put out the catalog??? If it is you I like your lighting selections.
February 6, 2013 at 4:01pm   
Aja Mazin
For those who missed it:

"Kalie L,

We decided to go with the 3 individual shades and I appreciate everyone's input to help make this decision! This room has only had new bedding added to it since we moved in, so we have a lot of work to go in here!"
February 6, 2013 at 4:02pm   
PRO
Shades of Light
Julie, yes we do (see icon beside my "comments" for the latest cover... if your eyes are younger than mine. LOL
-And thank you very much for the compliment, that was nice of you to reach out.
February 6, 2013 at 4:05pm   
PRO
Eyes are probably not younger than yours..... good to see you on here then. will follow!
February 6, 2013 at 4:07pm