Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with some ideas for this chair
crazycatlady
February 5, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I just purchased this rocking chair from the want ads, and I need a little advice as to what I should do with it. I will be using this rocking chair in a nursery (not anytime soon), and have attached pictures of cribs that I really like. I was thinking of reupholstering the chair in maybe a white leather, or white naugahyde. Do I keep the two buttons, or get rid of them all together? The wood would be refinished in an espresso color. Is white a bad option? My MIL kept telling me that white would be a horrible decision, and it would get so dirty and dusty, and to go with a material pattern. Patterns frighten me when it comes to furniture, because then you are stuck with it. I would rather add colorful pillows to the chair and paint the walls. Thought on this chair and nursery ideas? Is the crib a horrible option with this chair? Thank you so much!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marniphillips
Here's my 2 cents.
Firstly the chair is going to be great, wonderful find. I recently did one this style and left off the buttons and I think it was still nice. I did some nailhead detail instead. I think that a fabric will be much more comfortable to spend time in then a faux leather. Speaking from baby experience, that needs to be a cosy chair. I have had lots of luck with kids and outdoor fabric, it is easy to work with and literally most things just wipe right off. I also think that crib is crying out for some sort of pattern. I think all white will look to stark. Good luck, looking forward to the "after" photo
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 1:50PM
Darzy
I agree with you and do a white leather and dark wood finish. White leather/nailhead detail is beautiful. Leather is one of the easiest to wipe clean (or faux leather). With the white, you can use this chair anywhere in your home and not be stuck with a fabric/pattern limited to one room. As far as the buttons, I'd either remove them, or add more. The crib...beautiful!
Grant Wing Back Chair
Colin Upholstered Arm Chair
2 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 1:59PM
crazycatlady
Thank you so much Darzy. I'm glad to know that I'm not crazy, like my MIL was saying.
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 2:03PM
crazycatlady
Thank you MarinPhillips, I'm glad you like the chair too. I kept telling my husband that I really needed the chair, and especially since it was only $20. I'm thinking I may leave the buttons off also. Thanks for your help.
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 2:06PM
lefty47
HI -- Nice chair and love the crib and yes they will go together. Have a look at "Sunbrella Fabric " They have beautiful choices , wears like iron and sponges off and never fades because it is made for outdoor furniture and can be used for indoor too. Worth every penny . I don't think leather would be very comforable for a baby rocking chair . You should sit in a few leather chairs to see if that would work for you. Yes either go button free or add more but I say none . The back could have just three horizontal stitching rows. A little more of a modern touch.
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 2:17PM
crazycatlady
Thank you so much Lefty47. I know nothing about designing a room, or what goes together, so I'm glad to hear that people think the crib and chair will go together. Thanks for your opinion. : )
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 2:24PM
nasmijati
Hello again. You have your Design Dilemma posted twice.
This is my favorite nursery photo on Houzz. Not because of the decor, but because there is a place for the mother to sleep when she is too tired to walk to her own bed.
I am sorry the photo does not enlarge on this post.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 8:00PM