Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Total revamp of late Edwardian/Victorian House
nickynewark
February 5, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am buying this 2 bed house in the UK. Needs a new Kitchen and bathroom, and total redecoration throughout... Would prefer tradional to contemporary designs. Like grey and whites and then again browns/taupe and whites... kitchen 3 x 3 and bathroom 2 x 3 .m
Any advice is gladely welcome :-)))
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nickynewark
I have other photos, of attic bedroom and main bed etc... but these will follow the other design I decide to go with. I will remove all carpets. Front room has wood and I will stripe, and would then like to put wood flooring to kitchen. Maybe even in the bathroom...
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 1:58PM
nickynewark
I am not sure how the discussions work here on Houzz... I have no feedback on my Design Delemma posting!!!
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 6:22AM
aniluap2
Your photos are not expanding when you click on them so it's hard to see what you're talking about.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 6:33AM
nickynewark
Thanks will look into them now :-))
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 6:39AM
soberg
Please try reposting your photos, possibly in a different format. Like aniluap2 says, we should be able to click your photos to see them expand, but they stay thumbnail sized for some reason.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 6:39AM
nickynewark
Original small ones these are from Estate Agents, showing the inside more tidy, what I have the 90 yr owner turned all his cupboards out before I saw the place ... I have some but not easy to see well the place.. are these ok?
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 6:56AM
nickynewark
The doors will be stripped back to original wood. All the internal doors are like this. Simulated layout to kitchen, and I will do a 'dresser' style unit to right of chimney. May dilemma is the colour of the units. I am tending to a 'Grey' unit, with a lighter top. Wooden floors or maybe even slate now... the kitchen overall is 3 x 3.2m. The lounge I will take out the gas fire and open it up more to fit in a wood burning stove, and show the wooden floor boards. I hope to fit half wooden shutters to the windows throughout. In the bathroom, white suite, simple free standing bath. Maybe victorian tiles on floor, see photo, then white tiles to mid height. above pick up the 'green' or even the 'blue' to paint above...
ideas ideas ideas :-))
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 7:12AM
cyclingthroughlife
From reading the discussion topics here on houzz, I think if you can make your question more specific, you are likely to get responses. So for example, focus one one room - say the living room, and then ask your question. The more specific the question and the more details about the "problem" you are trying to solve, the better.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 7:15AM
flgrandma
The front looks very nice. Could you post additional photos of the kitchen from various angles? That might be a good starting place for suggestions. Also, a few hints as to how the kitchen will be used such as main eating area or just a place to cook. If an eat-in kitchen, how many people do you want to seat? The more details you can add, the better the suggestions.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 7:17AM
nickynewark
So the KITCHEN is the best place to start, as this and the BATHROOM are where I am needing to work first :-)) The Kitchen is 3 x 3.2m and the simulated picture shows the unit layout. It will be eat-in, as not keen eating of my lap in the lounge, though its possible a small table could go in the front room. The house is Victorian, in a Conservation Area of the town. Its only 2 beds, so think professional couple with/out one child. Or elder couple sizing down. This property is an investment...
I need a colour theme to link all the rooms, and had thought I like to go with greys and whites. Stripped wooden doors and floors, where possible. The kitchen floor could be wooden or grey slate, and if I find the original 'cement' has a good patina, may keep with that, but hard on the legs.
1. units grey and lighter coloured laminated tops, white tiling, and darker gery to the chimney recesses...
2. units white and wood counter tops, white tiles to walls...

My original thoughts were British Indian Colonial, and had even thought black and white tiles in the kitchen and bathroom, or a victorian theme like the ones I posted posted above.

These other photos are the other '3' corners of the room. door from lounge into kitchen and a solid door going down to the cellar. Other door to hall to stairs to go up and another to go outside, and last showing right of chimney, there I will put a 'dresser' unit in that recessed corner, above the counter. (idea shown in last professional pic)
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 7:42AM
nickynewark
Have you looked the additional photos and comments I have now added? Thanks
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 8:32AM
flgrandma
nickynewark, Yes, I've looked at them. The posts don't always show up in the order sent. My other comments were sent before your latest photos. I like your ideas for wood floors and white cabinets with a possible British Colonial look. Taking your cabinets all the way to the ceiling will help with storage. Of course, the biggest problem is providing an eating space - maybe a bar that can be eating and prep. Subway tiles would be great in a house of this age, but I don't know that they'd go with the colonial idea. I just went back and looked at the photo of you and saw the open beamed ceiling. Will it remain that way? Just a reminder for those in the U.S. - the kitchen is about 9.8 ft X 9.8 ft.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 9:24AM
flgrandma
[houzz=
] This photo has some nice ideas you might be able to use; wooden floors, lots of storage, subway tiles, seating at bar.
3 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 10:10AM
flgrandma
Would you have room for something like this in the kitchen?
4 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 10:20AM
nickynewark
mmm. i like this, very nice! I think I will need to do a 'bar' to the wall where the old man has his very full wooden dresser now. And do it stylish, as its what you see after the lounge into the kitchen, when front door opens.... Great to find old english pub bar stools, and re-upholster in an animal print to bring the Indian colonial look into the look! I really like this pic :-)) is it here on Houzz, to add to my idea book?
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 10:42AM
nickynewark
no space for the 2nd pic... :-( window seating is fab!
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 10:43AM
nickynewark
dis you like the 'Victorian' look tile I posted. Its a possible for the bathroom, but could have i Kitchen too... nice and fresh!
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 10:44AM
aniluap2
I like the idea of a white kitchen as it has mass appeal especially if you want to flip it.i would use butcher block or stainless steel counter tops( ikea has reasonably priced ones) the white tile backsplash and polished concrete or grey slate would give it a clean look. Wood floors would work well too.
2 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 10:45AM
apple_pie_order
Fascinating project. Since you are flipping the property for sale to a professional couple or elderly couple, have you identified some comparable properties nearby that your place will be competing with? If so, what are their finishes (floors, kitchen area, hardware and style)? Have you done this kind of project before? Have you settled on a budget? Your ideabook is full of great ideas, emphasizing compact storage in historic settings with overall white color schemes. In appealing to a wide range of buyers, it's best to go with new color trends of the last couple of years, not five years ago, so check with your local home magazines or websites for your location (for example, pretty colors for Scottsdale, Arizona may not be what is popular where you are in the UK).

A couple comments: wood stoves require fuss and storage of wood. They also require safety features for small children and clearance space around them. Gas fireplace inserts are much easier for a couple in a city to manage. In the US, you can buy new gas fireplaces with remote controls or on/off wall switches. They have a wow factor. Depending on what local building codes are, you might see if those are something your chimney structure can accommodate. Putting in a wood stove will also require complying with building codes. The operation of a chimney depends on several factors, including the shape and size of the opening, the height of the chimney, the type of chimney lining and so on. Making commensurate changes in an historic structure may eat up a large part of your budget. Consult chimney professionals.

You'll need to test the existing paint layers for lead before starting to strip and sand. It's important for parents of small children, especially. Check with local building codes to see what you have to do: encapsulate, remove, strip, whatever. Then you can decide if you want to send the doors out for professional stripping. Depending on the wood tone that results, you could have part of your color scheme determined by the historic wood doors.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 10:56AM
aniluap2
The victorian tile is beautiful, but for a flip you want to reach as many people as possible, so the more neutral the greater the appeal. It would probably be better in a bathroom to dress it up in combination with plain white fixtures and cabinetry. The floor in that situation would work as a decorative element in lieu of wall paper or other complimentary device. But whatever style you set in the kitchen should be carried out throughout the house so it flows and does not look choppy or what we call on this side of the " pond" a "remuddle"
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 10:57AM
nickynewark
About the ceiling... I am not sure if to cover it and put in spot lights, or keep them showing and stain to the colour of wood floors, when I know what they are going to be in the front room. Then again I could stain them all to get the same colour thoughout. I assume they are honey coloured pine, like the exposed attic stairs.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 10:58AM
nickynewark
I priced both zinc and concrete counter tops... over £2500.00 for that little kitchen. Wood is approx £1000/1200. Laminate £2-300.00. Will now look Ikea option in stainless steel, though maybe too shiney in a victorian house... love Pewter handles :-)
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 11:01AM
flgrandma
The photo of the seating area in front of the window is from Houzz. I think I found it under eat-in kitchen.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 11:07AM
nickynewark
Thanks apple-pie-order... did not think about the chuìimney stuff. Doors are taken to a door stripper in the town. Very cheap at £25. each. :-))) I could keep them a gloss white, but think original better with the original diamond glass still in them. ANd yes those tiles are not for everyone, so the bathroom they can go, with a white metro/sub tile to the wall or even cheap 45 x 45cm tiles. The kitchen can have that grey/blue or the green and white units... think I am onto something I like the sound off :-))

Bathroom will then be easier once Kitchen is solved!
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 11:14AM
aniluap2
I think the exposed beams stained dark would bring out the intrinsic charm of the home and fitted with more transitional cabinets and the pewter handles would be very appealing. By the way, I would not go with laminate, if you stay with more natural material like wood, stone or metal it always appears more luxurious and high- end. The stainless steel at Ikea is what you might see in a commercial kitchen and not as dull a finish as pewter but definitely not über shiny.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 11:16AM
apple_pie_order
Are there photos of competing houses for sale on line?
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 11:17AM
aniluap2
Sorry I thought you meant you had exposed beams but I realized you have wood ceilings that would look great exposed and paint the wood white to look like a breadboard ceiling.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 11:36AM
nickynewark
@ apple pie, the house will be mine in about 3 weeks :-))) I will rent out (sadly) and when market returns I can sell. But really think to keep for my 'old' age. Its in the town I was born, and this is postioned top end of the st. where my grandma lived, and I frequented on our trips back 'home' from Africa!
@ anilup2 the beams are exposed, and maybe stained darker will really bring in a traditional feel, but first I will see what the lounge wooden floors reveal to me :-))) They could also be painted white, if too expensive to close the ceiling in, and make it more sound proof from bathroom above. I had also thought half wall wood pannelling was another nice idea for this kitchen, but I am told I am spending too much money ... I also not happy about laminate, but while its rented not bad for the price and replace with what I like, when I live there :-))) Wood if my favorite.

Thanks for everyones feedback across the waters ....
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 1:40PM
aniluap2
I agree you need to keep cost to a minimum when you're thinking of renting. There are some lovely laminates out there but for the same price you could purchase a prefinished butcher block fom Ikea or an unfinished one from a big box hardware store,so you can stain to your own desire. Butcher block can be sanded and refinished.The only worry I have with laminate is renters putting hot pots on it and burning it. However you security deposit should handle that and if you are planning on replacing it later I would go with the most practical solution for the least cost that looks aesthetically pleasing . I think you have great ideas and are on the right track. From personal experience, don't overspend on reno, just make it clean, fresh and attractive.
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 6:13AM
nickynewark
Thanks anilap2 ! Through I am still deciding if I like a grey/taupe cupboards or white! I am almost down to these two units. Either of the base units can be mixed with a wood wall unit, to give some contast. I found a light cement 500mm square laminate top, that could be good and cheap, though I understand what you said about hot pots going down on them. Yest. I found 'Iroko' school laboratory countertops, and at a wonderful price, in London :-)))
I also received a new kitchen layout showing the corner 'dresser unit', to keep kitchen tidy of kettle, toaster etc.... but this could look nice with glass instead of solid doors or even in a wood finish... And I would put a door on the space of the washing machine /dishwasher, as that is the first corner you see of the kitchen from the lounge... White or Taupe ????
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 8:04AM
nickynewark
I posted a layout and a white kitchen but cannot see it here... can you?
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 8:05AM
flgrandma
The last photo I see from you are of two kitchens in sort of a gray/green color. One layout has yellowish top cabinets.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 8:28AM
aniluap2
The white ones did not show up but the taupe/ grey ones are very striking. In light of the fact that you intend to move into it eventually, I would put in the cabinets that suit your preference . The ones shown will still read as neutral and the shaker style is classic. The mix of color and wood would be stunning with the cement colored laminate. You might just want to use the iroko on one counter or island to break it up a bit. Maybe the counter near the stovetop. Just a suggestion since it is hard to judge the spatial impact of the mix. If I were in your shoes, I would put in the cabinets that I would want in the future and maybe go cheap on the countertops which are easily replaced when you move in. Your choices have been beautiful and I think you are moving in the right direction....I, like you, just like a fresh set of eyes to affirm my choices or suggest something I have not thought of, but you have all the right instincts.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 8:31AM
nickynewark
White units and new proposed layout...
3 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 9:22AM
nickynewark
the layout is an Adobe file, maybe thats why it does not come up... trying again!

Yes, I think also tops can be changed later, laminate is sooo cheap in the UK.
And you are right, I have been a full circle, and its just getting others to see and give an eye where I might not!!
These units aremade from Ash wood surrounds and veneer centres, with 15yrs qtee. They also have a 'grain effect'. So middle of the price range.
Colour to wall in simulated pic is abit on the dark side for me... better a few rows of tiles, maybe sub/metro tiles in grey or sage and walls in white to be crisp and set t all off :-)))

What I like about the Taupe is that in the bathroom I look to be using that 'victorian' tile I originally posted, so the colours will flow the same. Thought the house I will find a soft grey to all the walls, with wood trims in white and again the stripped wooden and half glass, original doors .

Now need to look a carpet that is maybe like the wood colour to the 2 bedrooms, hall and stairs. I had hoped on Sisel /Jute, but its priced very expensive in the UK... let me check my budget! When its all done I will be sharing my Reno Photos :-)))
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 9:36AM
PRO
BTX Window Automation
Would you consider motorized roller shades as they have a modern look to complement the contemporary style of the home? Link to our swatch cards: http://www.btxinc.com/roller-shade-fabric-swatch-cards
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 9:45AM
nickynewark
I am looking at half window wooden shutters to all my windows. House is in the UK....Thanks though for the infomation.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 10:03AM
flgrandma
nickynewark, I love the photo of your proposed kitchen.
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 10:29AM
nickynewark
@ figrandma - white or taupe....???
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 10:39AM
flgrandma
I like the white. It has a little bit of an old feel, but it's all updated and functional, plus bright. The taupe is beautiful, but I think I might tire of it. I'd never tire of a white kitchen.
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 11:15AM
aniluap2
Color is a personal preference and both are stunning . I will put this thought out there though... Grey/ taupe is very trendy right now and though classic, may go out of favor. White is enduring. We have moved a lot and renovated many homes and white can accomadate any style or color. When we were buying homes I was able to date them by their kitchens and baths except for the ones that used classic finishes. I don't think that the bathroom tile will not flow with a white kitchen but as figrandma said you may tire if the grey. Either way you won't go wrong. I do like the grey cabinets and they can be blended with many colors should you decide to change your palette in the future. I would say follow your gut instinct, they are both beautiful and either way you won't go wrong.
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 12:27PM
nickynewark
Thank you Thank you :-))) now waiting the costs in the week, and hopefully a Pantone Colour Ref. to the grey, so I know how dark it is.
I do know I can paint these grey doors at a later date, the white I think are MDF and not so easy to change...
Just think 'white' is an obvious choice and depending the flooring, even black and white diamond/check tiles, it is a timeless classic, and is repeated throughout the years. I started out thinking I wanted something with a 'twist' to what is obvious, but maybe better to play it safe, and choose colours on the walls, add shutters and a 'different' floor colour or tile to the norm. More visalizing to do....

Most grateful for your inputs, and any more that you can share.
:-)))
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 1:10PM
aniluap2
I love black and white floors. Classic.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 5:06PM
nickynewark
funny you wrote that! I woke up this am, thinking the same... small ones or large.? will look here for some examples. They can go in the bathroom too. Goes with grey and white to walls. With the Taupe units, not sure about....
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 12:25AM
aniluap2
I can work with taupe as well but I think more striking with white. I think large tile for kitchen and smaller in bathrooms.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 8:51AM
nickynewark
Thats what I was thinking... here there are more than 74000 B/W floors to look :-((( diamond shaped or chequers.... Even Ivory cabinets look good too, and green ones :-)))
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 9:54AM
aniluap2
I know! So versatile....
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 10:18AM
nickynewark
BACK AGAIN... HOUSE IS ALMOST READY FOR PAINTING AND DECORATING... WAITING FOR THE PLASTER TO DRY! LOTS OF IDEAS HAVE BEEN THROWN AROUND, AND NOW ALMOST THERE.!
1 Like   June 3, 2013 at 2:41PM
nickynewark
Kitchen, Bathroom, 2nd Bedroom, Lounge ...
0 Likes   June 3, 2013 at 2:51PM
handymam
Nicky, what is all that brown on the wall in the first pic?
0 Likes   June 3, 2013 at 3:05PM
nickynewark
Thats the plaster, drying out now... attic was the same and now has 2 coats of undercoating!
1 Like   June 3, 2013 at 3:18PM
nickynewark
see first photos of kitchen. the chimney breast has been opened up and radiator moved...
0 Likes   June 3, 2013 at 3:19PM
flgrandma
I'm very interested to see how great this will turn out.
0 Likes   June 3, 2013 at 6:35PM
apple_pie_order
What are your plans shaping up to be?
0 Likes   June 3, 2013 at 6:39PM
nickynewark
They changed alot... went with F&B colour chart and got inspiration from there and the unit colours I liked the most for the price I could afford. So my units are 'mizzle' colour and I have taken a solid oak top with a ceramic sink (though S/S was good for me too) Walls will be 'Shaded White' with 'Pigeon' in the alcove above hob. No tiles in the alcove but a matt non reflective glass as a splash back. 24 x 33cm Stone effect tile in vinyl to the floor... the rest we will see by photos! :-))) And my first tenant is waiting at the door to move in from the 1st July, so not done bad in timing from buying to completion of renovations. Oh, I will fit wooden Venetian 5cm slated blinds to the windows. I would love shutters, buts thats not affordable now nor for a rental. My overall property value has also gone up and over what I have spent in expenses. So overall done good. :-)))
0 Likes   June 4, 2013 at 3:02AM
apple_pie_order
Both the kitchen and living room area have fireplaces? Are you planning to convert both to natural gas with easy fake logs?

I looked up the paint colors; they are lovely pale colors that will be quite attractive. http://us.farrow-ball.com/pws/ProductDetails.ice?ProductID=100025&redirect=true
0 Likes   June 4, 2013 at 5:08AM
nickynewark
Yes, they do have fireplaces, as most Victorian houses had on the onset. The kitchen I will use the flue for my extractor over the hob. See simulated kitchen layout form a supplier. The one in the lounge has been opened and cleaned, This will be painted in 'Downpipe' and a log burner can be put there, using the flue. (Ingelnook Stove). When we stripped the bedroom fireplace, we found the original cast iron fireplace all intact. It could be also used, but will leave it as a feature. You can see in the attic bedroom and the bathroom where the flues pass.
These could all be removed, but then I would be left with square modern rooms, which was what I do not want. My internal doors are all stripped back to the wood, and the stairs to the attic, have also never been touched nor carpetted, so decided they will stay as they are in wood and also the cement floor in the attic will be painted too. (rugs)...
Sadly lounge wooden floors are not very good, as half were pulled up when gas piping was installed many years ago... so for now carpets to be laid down. I will slate tile the fireplace.
Exciting, and soon I will not know what to do with my time, as this has consumed most f it the past few months :-))
0 Likes   June 4, 2013 at 5:30AM
nickynewark
Here are the images for the Stone tile flooring in vinyl, the shower mosaic and the original fireplace in the bedroom...
0 Likes   June 4, 2013 at 8:29AM
apple_pie_order
The fireplace is a real attention getter from those of us who did not grow up with historic houses. The flooring looks nice and light and will hide a modest amount of bread crumbs.

There will be a lot of grout to clean on the shower mosaic!
0 Likes   June 4, 2013 at 8:38AM
nickynewark
:-))) my builder was happy for the first time with my choice, the work will be his to do and then pass a sealer over the grout so it does not turn yellow form the calcium in the water... I had a matt bevelled Metro tile in hand and he did not like it.! I was so chuffed when I saw the fireplace under the boarding.
0 Likes   June 4, 2013 at 8:54AM