Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What color walls if fireplace the same?
eberbary
February 5, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Want to make more contemporary/yet classic. Room is 12x21.5- hardwood floors are light- so rug help would be nice too. Not willing to paint wood/ brick at this time
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
A really classic neutral beige will look more odeon and be a great accent to what you already have on the fireplace.
Try Benjamin Moore hc 84 Elmira white, hc 83 grant beige or hc 93 carrying ton beige.
Good luck!
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 4:18PM
onthefence
Can you remove the glass doors and use a silver/pewter firescreen?
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 4:21PM
Lkristine
It sounds like you are wanting a transitional look. Here is an example of what could combine what you are wanting to keep, as well as what you are thinking about changing. After you get the look you want I would then maybe think about changing some of your accessories and possibly frost the glass on the bookcases. Just ideas! http://www.ebay.com/itm/CASUAL-beige-TAN-gold-LARGE-scale-FLORAL-leaves-LOTUS-transitional-AREA-rug-/200826472580?pt=US_Area_Rugs&var=500105199525&hash=item2ec230c884
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 4:31PM
Lkristine
Ignore that lamp pic! (although it looks kinda nice with the rug!)
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 4:33PM
onthefence
Something like this pewter firescreen I think would work beautifully next to the glass doors of your built-ins http://www.crateandbarrel.com/alton-ii-pewter-fireplace-screen/s250166
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 4:38PM
patty526
Is the brick brown, or dirty? Looks lighter at the outsides, so might I suggest cleaning it well first, before you do any painting on the walls? You might be able so see something in the brick, that you can blend a color with, with no mistakes on the backside!
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 4:40PM
eberbary
Thank you for all of the suggestions - the walls are a beige wall paper and my color choices for all are wide open - I would like to get away from the beige that has been my mothers for the last 30 years - Brick has actually been cleaned in past and there hasn't been a fire made in there in years - it has some darker reds/almost purplish/ orangey reds and browns. The doors have been off for years and was considering cleaning and putting back on - but think will bring it out of the transition am hoping for. So no one has said a grey tone would be a good option? Color for rug and walls are wide open - except for this brick ???
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 5:07PM
Lkristine
You could definitely get away with a grey color as well. Here is another idea. This color is called greyhound by Benjamin Moore. And here is rug option for this color as well. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Hand-tufted-Grey-Floral-Rug/5509808/product.html
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 5:27PM
patty526
Regardless of the brick color, you need to paint the ceiling trim to match the ceiling, but in a harder finish..
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 5:51PM
patty526
Bring back the doors, stop the eye break of the dark ceiling trim...and bring it down a little. Trim is cheap, and a nice broad expanse of it a room will off set the heaviness of the brick. That ceiling trim needs a bit more umph..
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 6:07PM
eberbary
My husband is NOT letting me paint any wood at this time- we will probably have to be loving there a bit - before that can happen! That being said - should the ceiling be white with that gray? I love the color AND the rug! Can I hire you?
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 6:09PM
onthefence
I'd like to see you put the doors back on the built-ins. I think they're a really spectacular feature and can be a part of making that wall a real focal point. Perhaps even a really great painting over the FP and move the photos to a display on a side table?

Gray walls I think would be lovely. What colors do you have in the rest of your living room? Do you have a favorite color you'd like to use as an accent color? That to me would help determine the rug color - or at least an accent color in it.

There was a post a few days ago where a person blended a couple of antiques with other furnishings which were more contemporary and streamlined. I makes me think of your living room and think you can blend the two styles to get to a perfect balance.
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 6:11PM
eberbary
The wide cove gum molding is in entire downstairs : ( - i love the idea - but hubby will be a dream killer on that
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 6:13PM
Lkristine
I would do the ceiling an off white with a slight grey to it. Not stark white. You have a warm inviting space, greyish white ceiling would be awesome.
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 6:19PM
eberbary
Photos are just there because of construction in rest of house- you folks are getting me very excited! I would like to mix old with new and have dark writing desk - there is no family room so i want it to be comfy but classy. Couch color ? And style? I have a spoiled 65lb pointer
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 6:20PM
patty526
And I have 3 labs. Please check the molding color to the ceiling, lighter feel.
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 7:45PM
patty526
Like to know what happens!
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 7:47PM
sayswho
Leave off the doors add a few baskets in light grey to dk grey make some book covers in grey/black/white colors to lighten up shelf area and paint walls grey...maybe some empty picture frames in various color tones on the mantle and vases/candlesticks in glass to add some sparkle.
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 8:09PM
More Discussions
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
licksch
What's your favorite holiday decor item?
Is there a piece of holiday decor that you can't wait...
Emily Hurley
Advice. Should we refinish floors or not bother?
Hi Houzzers, shown in the pics below is the transition...
Melissa Felber
Need help updating our 1960 ' s ranch
We are wanting to paint the shutters, buy a new front...
ameshell
Please help me create a romantic bedroom!
I saw this quilt in the PB store, fell in love with...
Debbie
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.