Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help!!!
jenna131
February 5, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I can't change the carpet. And the living room leads into the kitchen. How can I make this mess look better? Don't like the counter tops but don't have the money to put in new ones. Suggestions please!!!!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Kaplan Architects, AIA
Maybe you could carry that red carpet color into the space somehow. What about red curtains on the window to match the carpet...
February 5, 2013 at 5:35pm     
apple_pie_order
The countertops look purple on my monitor; what color are they in real life?
It's possible to paint some countertops. You might look into that.

I suggest you measure up and get estimates for new carpet so you'll have a goal to shoot for when saving up. What is under the carpet?

It looks like you have not moved in yet. Have you decided on a budget for fixing things up?
February 5, 2013 at 5:40pm     
jenna131
The carpet is a cranberry color and the counter tops are blue. I was thinking of painting the counter tops but not sure yet. I want to paint the paneling and cabinets in the kitchen and the walls in the living room. Suggestion on colors for paint? Haven't moved in yet want to get painting done first. As far as budget need to be very thrifty.
February 5, 2013 at 5:51pm   
jenna131
Oh and the house is built on a cement slab. So that's what's under the carpet and padding.
February 5, 2013 at 5:53pm   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
The room isn't very big go find a remnant piece of carpet. It really isn't worth trying to work around it.
February 5, 2013 at 5:56pm     
PRO
Melissa Doan - Weidel Realtors - New Hope
My answer would depend on why you can't change the carpet - if it is because it is a rental, you could go ahead and put a carpet over it and in the kitchen. Sisal throughout or in area rugs. ... a very light neutral throughout ... i would personally go with white but that would be slightly impractical and a little on the funky side. :) If your going for just calming things down.. just get as many matching area rugs as you can, as big as you can, and hide as much of the floors as you can with the like colored low pile (sisal jute etc) area rugs. I actually think you're kitchen floors are cute by the way. If you can't touch the counter, you can distract from the color of it by putting a fairly large vase with abundant white florals on top. You can also try placing cute stools or seats at the peninsula with either white wood or upholstry at the peninsula... if you could paint the space, that would of course brighten it up. If you don't mind red and blue together go with first suggestion and bring red into kitchen space.
February 5, 2013 at 5:56pm     
Judy M
Go to the photo section on this web site (browse rooms) choose "kitchens" then type "blue counters" in the search for great ideas, choose something that appeals to you.
I vote white for cabinets. You can then paint the paneling white or treat it like any wall and paint a color that blends.
Those cabinets need the right prep, right primers, right paint. Talk to someone at a paint store (not Home Depot) for right stuff to use.
February 5, 2013 at 6:02pm     
jenna131
Yes I was thinking of painting the cabinets white and the kitchen floor actually has specks of gray in it so was thinking of painting the walls a light gray. That cranberry/burgundy carpet is just messing up the scheme of things. I can't replace it because of money. But I am going to look into getting a large area rug.
February 5, 2013 at 6:35pm     
Judy M
Grey will work with burgundy. Live with it until you can change it.
You'll get a lot of impact by the painting, but you'll have to invest a lot of your free labor .
Then you can look for a remnant carpet.
February 5, 2013 at 6:39pm     
jenna131
Ok now that I have pretty much decided on the kitchen what about the living room. What color for walls my sofa is beige.
February 5, 2013 at 6:46pm   
tlh246
I think that once you paint and add furniture, the carpet might not be as noticeable. But, if you really want to change it for little to no cost you can also look into joining your local freecycle. When we put our wood floors in, we posted our carpet on freecycle. It was still in excellent shape and not worthy of being thrown away. You might find the same.
February 5, 2013 at 8:28pm     
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Hi Jenna -- I'm hoping that you can tear up that red carpet and apply a nice finish on your cement floor, or roll out a vinyl alternative. That and some paint would leave you with just the colors of the checkered tiles and the countertop. I'd take the grey onto the walls in the LR area where your beige couch will go, and then go beige in the kitchen. If you just can't tear up the red rug, maybe the bird print can still help you bring all the colors together. Just search art.com for "tan gray blue" and he comes up along with many other choices.
February 5, 2013 at 9:16pm     
Judy M
I love young people with so much energy! Paint the cabinets and kitchen first. You might want to rest before you tackle the living room. Once you see the kitchen done, the right answer for the living room might be easier to determine.
February 6, 2013 at 4:01am     
groveraxle
Jenna, I went looking for polished concrete floors--they're actually really beautiful--but it's not really a do-it-yourself project, especially if your concrete isn't in the best condition. But I did find this: http://corninmycoffee-pot.blogspot.com/2012/02/faux-wood-floor-paper-decoupage-floor.html

This woman took plain brown kraft paper and decoupaged her floor. White glue to stick it, polyurethane to finish, and it looks like wood (in the pictures anyway). If you google decoupage floors, you'll find all sorts of information on it, people who do it professionally, testimonials from people who say it is durable.

Here's another one: http://www.roomzaar.com/rate-my-space/Living-Rooms/Hardwood-Flooring--Naaah-its-DECOUPAGE/detail.esi?oid=29094305

And a video of someone doing it with torn paper bags:

It might be a low-cost alternative and would look better than that cranberry carpet.
February 6, 2013 at 5:20am     
megberl
I am not a decorator, but if I thnk this space is pretty retro and cool...and you have a ton of possibilities. If I were you I would paint the paneling Benjamin Moore Vanilla Ice Cream( lightly sand and prime first), and the cabinets Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter( sand, prime and use oil paint not water based...remove door and hinges etc...paint doors outside and keep room ventilated when painting). Add silver knobs and pulls to the cabinetry...the retro cup kind....and those pendant lights that have frosted white glass and silver hardware you see in diners. Get glass jars for your cookies, sugar and teabags etc.... and a Coca-Cola sign and coke bottles as salt & pepper shakers or little vases...have fun with it, make it a swanky diner look. Get 2 silver toned barstoools with red vinyl covers. Get a sisal area rug with black or cranberry edging and put it under your kitchen table. As for your living room, go with the rug! I love red. Paint your walls same as the cabinets in Revere Pewter, and trim it in the Vanilla Ice Cream. Maybe some b&w chevron drape panels ( check Target) with a silver toned rod...hang them high...and a natural shade underneath. Paint your tables, tv stands, etc...all black. w/ same silver knobs from cabinets. Add chevron pillows to your sofa, and blow up some b&w pics at Staples for your walls. Add silver and white tones to keep it light... knick knacks, shells, frames, and look for books with black & red on the covers...stack them on your tables. Get a mirror too to make the space feel larger. Mount it over your sofa.
February 6, 2013 at 5:48am     
handymam
groveraxle!! That floor is just beautiful!!
February 6, 2013 at 6:07am   
Judy M
Using cement floors without anything over them will only be practical in some parts of the country. I'm in the northeast and in winter , walking on a cement floor can be brutal!
February 6, 2013 at 6:16am     
megberl
YES! Maybe not as industrial but a little play on this would be cute. You read my mind!!! The stools are a must though!
February 6, 2013 at 10:55am   
lefty47
HI -- You say your on a cocrete slab ,-- how about stripping the floor and going with a stained and polished concrete floor . Paint the cabinets white and maybe change the all the hardware. As for the counter - Benjamin Moore Paints has a product for painting the counter tops - even if it lasts 5 years that gives you time to save for new counters or even a new kitchen. I think you should remove the paneling and heres why ,- because it is old you should check the electric and it may need up dating. There is not much to remove and it was probably put on over the drywall . When we removed old paneling in our house - we found live eletrical junction boxes that someone had just filled with drywall mud and tucked back into the wall -- our house could have gone up in flames if we had not removed that old paneling . Anyway - check with the paint store and they will giude you. Lots of work ahead of you - but it will be worth it.
February 6, 2013 at 11:22am