Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Wall accessorizing
Janet Carmichael
February 5, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'm continuing to fine tune this room and we will be putting built-in shelves/fireplace in between and alongside the windows. That may take a while for the carpenter to build so I'd like to continue accessorizing.

Someone (outside of Houzz) suggested putting a mirror above the lamp with the lamp actually being in front of the mirror, i.e. halfway up. I'm having a hard time envisioning this. Do you all agree with that idea?

Now, in saying that, the chair on the right will probably get moved to another room since it will be crowded with the shelving. But, I'd like to get decorating this wall.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
I don't care for mirrors that don't reflect anything beautiful or interesting. The lamp is too tall and the shade too narrow for the scale of the chairs. When you angle chairs, it looks better to have a round table, and the one you have is too small for the massive scale of the chairs. Even if you move one of them and angle the other, a round table will work better with the soft appearance of the chair. There is too much contrast to the severe lines of the table and lamp. Consider adding some more lamps, perhaps a floor lamp in the right corner. The buffet lamps might look good against a wall, but they are a bit too skinny and awkward looking behind the sofa. One chunkier lamp plus a floral arrangement would look better. The rest of the room looks like it is coming along. I'm questioning whether you have room for a fireplace between the windows. I think a built-in between them for the TV might work, but don't run out of room for some gorgeous drapes, and don't built a tiny FP that looks like an off the shelf one from the big box stores. May I ask why you haven't centered the sofa and lamps across from the windows? With your two windows, I'd work on balancing a bit. Keep tweaking!
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 10:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Janet Carmichael
Thanks Deco for the comments. I see what you are saying about the skinny lamp and the table. The room is very large so it will accomodate the built-ins. We still have a bit of room to even bring the couch back a bit. We bought the largest FP that would fit so I think we're good there. If you click on my name, other discussions come up where I posed the FP question and people showed some great ideas for the built=ins so I'm following that.

I was thinking about a floor lamp for the right corner but at this point I might wait until the built-in are in. A lamp within the shelves might look nice and then allow for a little space in front to keep a dog bed (I have three dogs so need to accommodate some sleeping spots).

If I were to center the sofa, there would be no entry into the room. It would cut off the current entry between the chair on the left and the sofa.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 3:29AM