Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help in small spare bedroom
Tonnie Bruner
February 5, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Welcome suggestions to finish spare bedroom - blanket chest & two side tables were made and given to me as a gift from my husband years ago - they will stay in this room - he just completed the headboard, I would like suggestions as to how to finish it along with the rest of the room - I bought fabric to make drapes to hang on each side (just pinned up on wall for now) not too sure the fabric goes - the lamps can be used in another room or spray paint the bases and cover the shades - not sure about the plaited wool area rug - welcome any suggestions to help make this room warm and inviting.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Eagledzines
I would use wall mounted lamps hung just a tad above the headboard. Put a vertical picture grouping where the lamps are now and remove the lamps. OR leave the lamps and put four pictures horizontally over the bed with nice large mattes around the pictures.

A handmade quilt on the bed with a matching dust ruffle. Match the dust ruffle to the drapes and quilt. Lay a solid color blanket at the foot of the bed. Maybe something that matches the walls and coordinates with the quilt. Maybe something mohair--something cozy.
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 10:18PM
minemine
How wonderful to have such a handy and talented husband. Since the blanket chest and tables were made years ago, they have probably taken on a patina from age. Rather than trying to duplicate the finish, why not go with something completely different. Mixing wood finishes is done all the time.
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 10:48PM
R C
First of, I loooooove the white and blue pillows that are on the bed. I would add some horizontal stripes on the wall. Perhaps change the nighstands such as the one below....they will add more interest by not having straight lines - seen throughout the room. They will mimic the roundness of the mirror Definitelly add a bedskirt to the bed for a more tailored look and perhaps an artwork on the left wall - when you're facing the bed. I also love adding a folded blanket at the end of the bed - like you see in hotels. It gives more thre-dimensionality to the bed. Hope this helps. Good luck!
0 Likes   February 6, 2014 at 10:04PM
decoenthusiaste
Here are some SW colors from your fabric selections that might inspire you.
0 Likes   February 6, 2014 at 10:10PM