powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
New Hardwood Floor... But WHY I AM NOT VERY HAPPY WITH IT??
genajie
February 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello Guys!
Yesterday I visited our new home, it is just equipped with hardwood floor: 31/2 oak wood. I knew this kind of wood wont have uniform looking, each piece will have the natural grain pattern. But some of them just so dark compared to others! They become pretty obvious, giving the floor "noisy" and "cheap" looking. Maybe I am too picky because this is our first home...What do you think? Is it supposed to look like this way? You dont think the flooring guy "fooled" us with defected ones? If so, should I contact the floor guy, can they do something about it? Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Diamondflame
I can appreciate your distress. I felt the same way too looking at it - the color temperatures vary greatly across the floor. Any thoughts on re-staining the wood? Or using large area rugs?
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 3:08AM
rinqreation
Is it laquered yet? (if not, leave it for a while, unfinished wood will become darker way faster than finished) It does look like they've used a lot of different stacks, but the lighter planks will mature darker overtime. Was it cheap/reasonable/expensive? You pay for quality and colorselection (the guy that picks the colors needs to be paid too). And no telling what it will eventually look like until you put some furniture in. (note: if completely unsatisfied ask for the company to come take a look before furnishing, and maybe get a second opinion from another flooring guy)
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 3:13AM
msfitness40
There are different grades of wood flooring (for both prefinished and unfinished wood flooring). Clear grade is the very best grade with the most uniform color, longer, lengths, virtually no blemishes or knots.
Select & Better - Is the next best wood flooring grade very uniform color, longer lengths, virtually no blemishes or knots.
#1 Common - Board starting to show the natural character such as lighter and darker boards, shorter board average, pinholes and knots are present.
#2 Common or Rustic grade- Boards show a lot of natural Character such as light and dark boards, larger knots and checks allowed. Over all board lengths are shorter.
Utility grade or Shorts - Boards show a lot of natural character such as light and dark boards, lengths of boards are extremely short approx 16" average, knots and pinholes are quite evident.

Hope this helps!
3 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 3:14AM
PRO
Graham Design and Construction
The previous commenter is correct. There are different grades within a species of wood. It looks like you have the common grade which is a mix of colors, has no quarter sawn lumber, and may contain knots. It looks like red oak from the photo, but I see some grey strips which is indicative of white oak.
The good news is I think it looks great, but that's just my taste. The bad news is that it looks like pre-finished flooring, which means you don't want to refinish the floor as that negates the benefits of pre-finished flooring. Also, if you don't like the floor look, it'll have to be completely pulled out, which could be a real nightmare, not to mention expensive.
So who approved or picked out the floor before installation? I'm afraid to say it, but you're probably stuck with the floor as it is now unless you want to go to a big mess to change it. Good luck!
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 4:00AM
anothercanadian
I have to agree with the previous post. I think it looks great and has some real character. Once you have your furniture in with a rug you won't really notice it as much. The room being empty makes it the focal point. Congrats on the new home by the way.
2 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 4:19AM
nononanna
Definitely put in furniture and rugs and live with it for a week or so -
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 4:25AM
genajie
Wow, Thank you guys! I thought I was the only one rising up so early in the mornings. :-).
Those comments are so helpful. I really appreciate it. My guts are telling me that there are probably nothing we can do about it right now. I guess there are two ways to look at things, I will call it "shows real character!" Thanks again!
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 4:35AM
0825sam
I actually really like it too. They are a bit darker but search HOUZZ for
Acacia floors. People intentionally do this look.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 4:38AM
More Discussions
Materials for the exterior
We are building in the Texas Hill Country, Austin area....
amygillis
How can I improve this staircase?
I have the weirdest staircase. The stairs leading up...
littlemy
Need Ideas
I would like to get ideas for a glass block walk in...
fisherlady53
Living room
Does the small brushed nickel end table suit this room...
teafortwo
Need help for my living room
i want to add a large mirror in my living room, but...
damtam
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.